Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Class Action Settlement Confirmed for R56 Timing Chain Issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 10:16 AM
davidg5700
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Am I missing something here or is the 7yr/100K extension of the warranty for the timing chain pretty much useless since when this gets enacted, the vast majority of the covered class will be out of that extension anyway? I imagine there will be some '09s put in service in 2010, but the majority will have been in 09.

I have a 2010 built on 11/09 with 38K on it. I got the notice yesterday, but hopes of having any reassurance on this were dashed when I read the class definition and realized mine was not part of it. I have the "updated" tensioner, so I'm just keeping my fingers crossed (and keeping the oil topped off and changed frequently) that I dodge a bullet on this one since this settlement will do nothing for me if the death rattle comes to visit.

Old 02-23-2016, 12:11 PM
Voodoo.T
Neutral
My 2009 R56 blew its motor all over a two lane country road right outside Road America because of this stupid timing chain tensioner. $6k and a month later, I got it back, and promptly traded that stupid POS in. I just got an email about this class action lawsuit, and searching about it led me here. Wonder if I'm still eligible even though I got rid of that piece of garbage two years ago.

BMW sucks.

Old 02-24-2016, 03:48 AM
coachvminis
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just received my class action settlement forms in the mail yesterday.
So I will get the T-Chain checked and documented either at a dealer or third party.
If checks out then and looks good ok. Then by the time June 20th or so rolls and it does go boom I will have documentation on the service t-chain check done. What a pita really but its a mechanical issue and a serious one.

Old 02-29-2016, 02:21 PM
R56typeS
2nd Gear
Just got my notice in the mail as well. 3 things dont make sense...

As has been stated, the extended warranty is pretty much useless for a lot of cars. Why include the 2007-2008 cars if they dont even qualify? The only thing that would make sense is if the 'in-service' date was when the car was serviced for timing chain issues, rather than its manufacture or purchase date. But, since there is no definition of what 'in-service' means, its still pretty useless.
edit: just searched the term 'in-service date' and it is the date that the car was purchased by the original owner. In other words, yes, the warranty extension is pointless for a lot of cars.

Which brings me to the next issue...you have to spend your money to fix their crappy timing chain issue before you can get your timing chain replacement cost reimbursed. This is all well and fine, unless of course the suit is denied. In which case, you're still left on the hook as though the suit was never filed.

Last thing, mini actually denies they did anything wrong and stands behind and support their product? What. a. load. of. crap.

Looks like the only option for a person in my situation is to either just pay to get it fixed and hope the suit goes through and I get reimbursed, try to sell the car and hope the suit goes through and I might get some money back to cover the loss during the sale due to it having a bad timing chain, or simply write the car off as a complete loss.

What a joke, I cant believe people still buy these colossal pieces of crap.

Old 02-29-2016, 06:57 PM
pmsummer
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
For R-56 series/N-14 MINI owners in the USA who haven't already suffered a timing chain failure on your N-14 engine, you have received (or will soon) a settlement proposal on the Class Action suit. I suggest you send back an OBJECTION to the settlement, because the 'extended warranty coverage' for the issue has already expired for 2007-08 years models, and is expiring as I type for the 2009 m.y. MINIs. The proposed warranty extension settlement really only offers minor benefit for 2010 m.y. cars.

-------

WARRANTY EXTENSION FOR COVERED PARTS

(“Covered Parts” means timing-chain tensioner; sealing ring; timing chain; guide rail; tensioner rail; sliding rail; sprocket on the crankshaft; bearing bolts for the tensioner and guide rails. Where a timing chain has been repaired or replaced, “Covered Parts” includes oil change, oil filter, and cleaning of oil pan.")

All Class Vehicles will receive an automatic warranty extension for original Covered Parts, which will run for 7 years/100,000 miles from the Class Vehicle’s in-service date, whichever comes first, and will be subject to the terms and conditions of the MINI Warranty.

------

P.S. I heard a dealer tell a customer with a 2008 that only had 50,000 miles on the odo that their timing chain repair estimate was $9K. Because they fall outside of the proposed extended warranty, there may not be any coverage for them.

Old 03-01-2016, 11:09 PM
Spectral G
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by inomis
Official site from email I just got:

www.TimingChainTensionerSettlement.com
Thanks so much for posting that. Sure looks like they are going to try to make people do as much paper work as possible, including trying to provide details of all oil changes. I'm sure they're hoping many people will have lost their documentation or just be lazy about the whole thing. Well, BMW, I ain't going to be one of them.

Originally Posted by ultrahuck

Today I get the class action paperwork on the timing chain lawsuit in the mail.
They say the class suit is going to be heard in June, 2016 and that any claims for replaced chains and tensioners has to be submitted before the Effective Date of the Settlement, June 20, 2016.

So what is your call? Do I gamble and get the work done in hopes that the Class wins the suit? Sell the car? Anyone else in my situation?
Originally Posted by R56typeS
I have been in contact with a local dealer here about this, I was told that because the suit isnt finalized, MINI has not informed the dealers...in other words, no sense in admitting guilt until theyre forced to.

Which brings me to the next issue...you have to spend your money to fix their crappy timing chain issue before you can get your timing chain replacement cost reimbursed. This is all well and fine, unless of course the suit is denied. In which case, you're still left on the hook as though the suit was never filed.
From what I've read and understood about this case is this. A settlement has been agreed upon by BMW/Mini and the legal team representing Joshua Skeen et al. A judge approved this back on Jan. 6th. In other words, the suit is pretty much finalized. What is coming up on May 9th is a fairness hearing. I've found a description of that here: http://www.class-action-lawsuits.org...rness-hearing/ I don't think anything of note will be changed at that hearing or else I don't think they would be mailing out the forms now.

Now, after reading some of the actual settlement agreement found here: https://secure.ntcsol.com/softniche/.../KeyDates.aspxBMW can deny an individual claim for reimbursement for whatever reason. Like, if they say you didn't get your oil changed often enough or something along those lines. If that happens, then you do have the option to contact the lead counsel and appeal. What all of that would entail, I don't know.

Last edited by Spectral G; 03-02-2016 at 11:42 PM.
Old 03-02-2016, 06:29 PM
mauiguyharry
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just received my letter today. I purchased my 2010 Mini S last August which only had 30,000 miles on it. I don't think the timing chain has been replaced.

My question is, should I replaced the timing chain even if it's not rattling yet and apply for the class action lawsuit or just wait and hope for the best it doesn't go bad?

Old 03-03-2016, 07:11 AM
ceoengr
2nd Gear
I got the letter too, but according to the models my 2010 S hatchback is not included. I guess I need to hire a lawyer since our N14 engines are also having the same issue. Also, in reading the details, the only real beneficiaries are BMW/Mini corporation and the lawyers. The suffering mini owners have to jump thru hoops to even get a lollipop.

Old 03-03-2016, 07:54 AM
ultrahuck
2nd Gear
MINI price on the timing chain job: $2500

Local MINI indy shop: $1350.

I have until June to get job done . . . . . but local shop says I don't need a timing chain. MINI told me I shouldn't drive the car and I should have it done when it was in there for a "registration" of the battery a couple months back.

MINI: "stealership"

Old 03-03-2016, 09:55 AM
Big Jim Swade
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I got my letter yesterday. So it extends the warranty on the timing chain to 7 years. That still makes my 08 out of warranty by 1 year. This is stupid.

Old 03-03-2016, 03:42 PM
R56typeS
2nd Gear
I officially recant my statement about MINI not standing behind their product. After much hair pulling-out, lots of money out of my own pocket, and being nearly screwed by different MINI dealer, the MINI dealer here has decided to help me out substantially.

Thank you, MINI USA.

Nick

Old 03-03-2016, 03:57 PM
pmsummer
5th Gear
Originally Posted by mauiguyharry
I just received my letter today. I purchased my 2010 Mini S last August which only had 30,000 miles on it. I don't think the timing chain has been replaced.

My question is, should I replaced the timing chain even if it's not rattling yet and apply for the class action lawsuit or just wait and hope for the best it doesn't go bad?
The tensioner recall is still in effect on your car. Make sure the tensioner has been updated! Call MINI USA with your VIN handy.

If it wasn't done, get it done. Keep checking your oil (change every 5000 to 7500 miles), keep listening to your engine. It doesn't happen to everybody, or even most folks.

Old 03-03-2016, 04:03 PM
pmsummer
5th Gear
I officially recant my statement about MINI not standing behind their product. After much hair pulling-out, lots of money out of my own pocket, and being nearly screwed by different MINI dealer, the MINI dealer here has decided to help me out substantially.

Thank you, MINI USA.

Nick
Good news! Now, if only MINI USA would just come out and say "the N-14 engine is a problem, and we contributed to the problem with the 15K oil change interval," and then extend the warranty to 150K. At that point, I'll agree they are standing behind their product.

Old 03-03-2016, 04:28 PM
R56typeS
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by pmsummer
Good news! Now, if only MINI USA would just come out and say "the N-14 engine is a problem, and we contributed to the problem with the 15K oil change interval," and then extend the warranty to 150K. At that point, I'll agree they are standing behind their product.
Well with all the bad publicity theyve gotten over all the issues, they might eventually have to lol my situation was not normal, I had spent a lot of money already in repairs, and being nearly screwed by the other dealer, I think they made an exception for me, and I will happily take it.

Now I have to decide on whether to keep it now that everything will be fixed, or sell it before something else might break...I would like to keep it, as its still a complete blast to drive, I guess we'll see.

Old 03-03-2016, 04:40 PM
pmsummer
5th Gear
Well with all the bad publicity theyve gotten over all the issues, they might eventually have to lol my situation was not normal, I had spent a lot of money already in repairs, and being nearly screwed by the other dealer, I think they made an exception for me, and I will happily take it.

Now I have to decide on whether to keep it now that everything will be fixed, or sell it before something else might break...I would like to keep it, as its still a complete blast to drive, I guess we'll see.
I love my '09, but at 75K, I'm leaning towards selling (and getting a 2013-15). The N14 is a poorly engineered POS, that's a lot of fun for a couple of years, and then turns on you.

Kind of like my first wife.

Old 03-03-2016, 06:23 PM
mauiguyharry
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The tensioner recall is still in effect on your car. Make sure the tensioner has been updated! Call MINI USA with your VIN handy.

If it wasn't done, get it done. Keep checking your oil (change every 5000 to 7500 miles), keep listening to your engine. It doesn't happen to everybody, or even most folks.
So, I can call the Mini dealership in my area and they will tell me the tensioner on my Mini has been replaced or will they give me a hard time about this?

I did have my car in for a repair back in October of 2015....shouldn't they have told me the tensioner has to be replaced because of a recall? I really had a bad experience with the dealership at that time and the thought of going back sickens me!!

Old 03-04-2016, 05:52 AM
pmsummer
5th Gear
Originally Posted by mauiguyharry
So, I can call the Mini dealership in my area and they will tell me the tensioner on my Mini has been replaced or will they give me a hard time about this?

I did have my car in for a repair back in October of 2015....shouldn't they have told me the tensioner has to be replaced because of a recall? I really had a bad experience with the dealership at that time and the thought of going back sickens me!!
You might contact MINI USA customer relations and give them your VIN. Ask them if there are any outstanding recalls/Service Bulletins for your car.

Old 03-04-2016, 03:55 PM
japtor
2nd Gear
You might contact MINI USA customer relations and give them your VIN. Ask them if there are any outstanding recalls/Service Bulletins for your car.
Do they send letters for "service bulletins"? I remember recall ones for mine (2008 R56) for the exhaust tips and the fuel pump one or something, but I can't say I remember getting one for the tensioner. Too late now or still in effect for mine too?

I checked my car on the open recalls page but nothing showed up.

At my last checkup with the dealer the guy mentioned I might have a timing chain issue due to some symptoms they noticed but couldn't be sure without taking apart stuff (i.e. $$$). I skipped that for now cause I remembered seeing this thread a few days prior.

Old 03-04-2016, 07:08 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by japtor
Do they send letters for "service bulletins"? I remember recall ones for mine (2008 R56) for the exhaust tips and the fuel pump one or something, but I can't say I remember getting one for the tensioner. Too late now or still in effect for mine too?

At my last checkup with the dealer the guy mentioned I might have a timing chain issue due to some symptoms they noticed but couldn't be sure without taking apart stuff (i.e. $$$). I skipped that for now cause I remembered seeing this thread a few days prior.
That's because "recalls" and "service bulletins" are not the same things.

Old 03-04-2016, 07:53 PM
pmsummer
5th Gear
Originally Posted by japtor

No, they don't. Which is one of the reasons I've always taken my MINI to the dealer every 6000 miles for an oil change ($69). I've had a few TSBs acted upon as a result of those visits.

Old 03-18-2016, 02:27 PM
jrnacc
Neutral
BEWARE of Timing Chain Recall

I took my MINI into MINI of Las Vegas to have the timing chain recall done. While the car was at the dealership I received a call from the service writer telling me that my valve cover was leaking around the seams and now would be a good time to replace it because the labor is already covered by the recall. The price for the valve cover was $529.42.

I declined the offer, but beware, you may get talked into this expenditure.

My MINI has 28,000 miles on it and has always been parked in the same area on my concrete without a spec of oil on the surface. The engine has no oil drips anywhere. When I got the car back (w/o a new valve cover) there was no oil on the outside of the engine, and several weeks later there is still no oil leak.

Apparently this may simply be a scam made to sound like they were doing me a favor by saving me $332 labor charges to replace a perfectly good $500 item.

Not sure if it is just MINI of Las Vegas or if other dealers are attempting to sell owners a very expense, unnecessary item.

Old 03-18-2016, 03:31 PM
ceoengr
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by jrnacc
I took my MINI into MINI of Las Vegas to have the timing chain recall done. While the car was at the dealership I received a call from...........

Not sure if it is just MINI of Las Vegas or if other dealers are attempting to sell owners a very expense, unnecessary item.
It is quite common for most dealers pay their technicians between $20-$28 per hour (Texas rates), and give them commission for any repair items they suggest and rope the customer into paying for the extra work. So you can see the motive of an unscrupulous mind. This is not limited to Mini/BMW dealerships, I have seen the same scams at Lexus, MB, Chevy, etc.

Old 03-20-2016, 09:59 AM
adainc
1st Gear
Haven't received letter.

Are only certain cars eligible for this class action suit. I have a 2009 S I purchased 3 weeks ago and i'm having lots of issues related to the timing chain. Only 41000 miles and this bag of marbles is needing a fix. Did you have to join this suit back in 2013 or is it a blanket situation. Who would i call to see why i haven't been notified. Thanks

Old 03-28-2016, 06:29 PM
gregsmini
4th Gear
You may be eligible. Go to this site: https://secure.ntcsol.com/softniche/...aim/Forms2011/

You should be able to find the info you need. Good Luck!

Old 03-28-2016, 06:53 PM
gregsmini
4th Gear
I received my notice in the mail today, apparently they didn't expect to find me. I purchased my Mini new, have not moved in 30 years but I guess they didn't expect anyone to keep a 2008 purchase.

This settlement is hilarious. I took my Mini to the dealer in September 2014. They told me the chain was 70 mm and needed to be replaced. I was quoted $1,450 to replace. I declined and had it fixed at Helix in Philly who charged $832.85.

However, Mini will only pay a "third-party service center" up to $850. If I had the dealer perform the work, they would reimburse the full amount. I guess the dealers work is worth more than the "third-party service center", ha,ha!

The dealer charged me $202.50 to diagnose that the timing chain needed replacement. I'm going to submit everything and see what happens.

Quick Reply: Class Action Settlement Confirmed for R56 Timing Chain Issues