Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Where is this coolant coming from

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2016, 05:09 AM
JAB 67
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts
I had a problem there too. I had used an aftermarket section of hose (despite being from a reputable vendor) which proved to be defective. Replace with OE and hopefully you'll be OK.

Old 12-24-2016, 08:40 AM
traildog
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JAB 67
I had a problem there too. I had used an aftermarket section of hose (despite being from a reputable vendor) which proved to be defective. Replace with OE and hopefully you'll be OK.
I think you just nailed it. I just went out and looked and the piece of hose that's there has jagged cuts on the ends. Can't be OE.

THANKS.

Old 12-24-2016, 10:28 AM
AoxoMoxoA
5th Gear
Received 97 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by traildog
...the piece of hose that's there has jagged cuts on the ends. Can't be OE
Good that you seem to have finally solved this issue (crossing fingers).

Hopefully, you didn't take "everything" apart again just to find the defect in that very easy-to-get-to hose section...

Old 12-24-2016, 01:24 PM
traildog
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by AoxoMoxoA
Good that you seem to have finally solved this issue (crossing fingers).

Hopefully, you didn't take "everything" apart again just to find the defect in that very easy-to-get-to hose section...

Just put it into "service mode" and there's another short piece of hose to the lower radiator connection that's not OE too...... It seems to be a bit moist......

Old 01-08-2017, 09:40 AM
traildog
3rd Gear
Hello again......got the. MINI apart still chasing this mysterious coolant leak.

Any of you ever seen a leak where the blue scre is on the water pump?

The water pump flange and everything around it was dry......

Old 01-08-2017, 01:59 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
Two things, first there is a rubber o-ring inside the water pump, don't know how that could deteriorate but perhaps. Secondly, remember that is there is another o-ring where the water pump mates to the flange that bolts to the engine block. It is behind the pump, at a right angle to the pump impeller. The leak may be at the flange. You have to take the actual pump of as well. You can see the flange in your second picture, its is aluminum and the pump appears to be greasy/black. The O-ring is in side this aluminum flange.

Here is a link that has a video on how to get the pump off without removing the supercharger. Have you checked the t-stat housing as well?

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...erheating.html

Last edited by Whine not Walnuts; 01-08-2017 at 02:10 PM.
Old 01-08-2017, 03:20 PM
traildog
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by r53coop
Two things, first there is a rubber o-ring inside the water pump, don't know how that could deteriorate but perhaps. Secondly, remember that is there is another o-ring where the water pump mates to the flange that bolts to the engine block. It is behind the pump, at a right angle to the pump impeller. The leak may be at the flange. You have to take the actual pump of as well. You can see the flange in your second picture, its is aluminum and the pump appears to be greasy/black. The O-ring is in side this aluminum flange.

Here is a link that has a video on how to get the pump off without removing the supercharger. Have you checked the t-stat housing as well?

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...erheating.html

Thanks, I probably should have mentioned that I replaced the water pump flange and O-rings on both the flange and pump when I did the supercharger oil service.

The thermostat housing and seal were both replaced a little while ago.

The only place I've found the coolant with die is, running down the front of the engine around the crank position sensor.......

I'm leaning towards replacing the water pump but I don't "think" it's very old......