Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Is MINI a Problem Car?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 10:22 AM
Pianist718
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is MINI a Problem Car?

Hi there,

So, my wife and I are looking into getting MINI Countryman S All 4. :-) We rented a mini when we were in Cali and both loved it for it's simplicity and surprising driving.

We were looking to lease this car but price per months doesn't make sense.
$30K car at $385/mo for 36month ... 3 years from now we would have paid $14K, then $350 plus any other scratches fee ... so it's a no go.

I am now thinking of buying a 2013 or 2014 model for around $23-25k ?

My friend however reminded me that it's a BMW built and that means ... this car will start to have issues as soon as warranty runs out. Electrical issues, where bill can be easily $4K to fix something.

My question .... is he over exaggerating?

I really like the car. It probably sucks when you have 2 drivers and you need to change seating and mirrors constantly. Does it?

Any feedback would be very much appreciated

thank you.

Old 10-07-2015, 11:33 AM
Finhead
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
You'd be far better off asking this in the 2nd or 3rd generation sections (depending on if you went 2014+) This is the 1st gen section most here af focused on the R50,R52,R53.

Old 10-07-2015, 11:42 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Most people will suggest getting a MINI with a warranty. If you're DIY capable and have the tools to work on the vehicle it will help with repair costs. MINI's do have their quirks. There are some good threads floating around about R60 common issues. Listed some below for you.

http://www.totalmini.com/forum/39-mi...on-issues.html

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...be-a-noob.html

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ut-please.html

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 10-07-2015, 06:49 PM
BernieCoop
3rd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
If you want a car that you can run into the ground and never have to work on, then buy a Toyota. All European cars DEMAND to be babied and coddled, doesn't matter the manufacture. Regular maintenance checkpoints have to be met and when something goes, other things usually aren't far behind it... But a Toyota won't be nearly as fun to drive or love you the way a Mini or Merc or Jag will. Basically, you get out what you put in when you buy a European. You love it and work for it, it'll return the favor.

And yes, repair bills run about 3-5 times more than the same repair on a Toyota or Ford. Oil change at Mini runs about $100, but I do it myself for $30.

Old 10-07-2015, 07:11 PM
mini_wisconsin
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It seems the MINI lease always has extra fees, but it still can be a good option for some. Drive the car for 3-years and turn the keys in.

A warranty is best if you're not going to do your own maintenance. Another option is to hire an independent mechanic.

If you buy a new MINI the dealer will treat you like a king/queen during the warranty period...this includes loaner cars, free oil changes, etc. I will warn you, however, when the warranty is over--so is the love from the dealer.

Another option is to buy a MINI NEXT CPO...and you will get a 2-year warranty, and if you're good at negotiating they may even extend it longer. Does your local dealer have any MINI NEXT cars? I just purchased a preowned 2015 MINI NEXT and they gave me a warranty until Oct 2019/75,000miles.

What Bernie said about oil changes is true...it's like $120 at the dealer. A new battery is around $300 because they have to register the battery in the car's computer.

...but these things are a lot of fun to drive. Good luck.

Old 10-08-2015, 10:25 AM
Pianist718
Neutral
Thank you for the great info.
Yea, the MSRP on the car quoted was $32,680 and they gave me a price of $30,241 which brings Lease cost per month at $389 with $0 down ... just title, fees, and first month. I have a feeling it's a lousy deal.

I like the S and all4 option, as that will help here in NYC on the snow.

Old 10-08-2015, 07:59 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Walk away and don't look back, seriously, you must be thinking the same thing hence the thread. Sure you like it now, but how will you feel about it later? That's exactly how I felt, I loved it and still do, only because of my 6 year/100k warranty. If I had it to do all over again, no way. No more German cars in my lifetime!

Get a reliable car.

Old 10-08-2015, 09:10 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
CM is a nice car, some of the stuff in this thread is overstated. Dealer here charges $69.95 for an oil change as An example. Find a good Indy mechanic and prices aren't that crazy high.

Old 10-09-2015, 07:08 AM
dongood
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I guess I am one of the "few lucky ones" as I drove my old 2006 R53 for 140k miles as a daily driver before handing it off to my son; all without being under warranty after the first 4 years.

Sure the early Gen2 S models with the N14 engine look to be problematic, but the later models with the N18 engine look to be fine.

If you want a boring to drive car that requires no maintenance then get that Toyota or Honda.

But if you want a car that will always put a smile on your face and are willing to do the necessary maintenance then get a MINI.

I have friends and coworkers who have the Countryman, outside of warranty with 80k+ miles on them, and they are completely satisfied and have no regrets, except for the one who didn't get the S

Old 10-09-2015, 07:09 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Aren't the problem children the most interesting?:-D

Old 10-10-2015, 09:10 AM
BernieCoop
3rd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Just wanted to add that the idea of German cars being bad for electrical issue is a dated idea. A few years ago, Mercedes wised up and got an American to show them on how to properly wireup cars and BMW did the same... I know this cause my uncle works for said company. Anything 2010+ isn't going to have as many electrical gremlins.

Old 10-10-2015, 03:10 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by BernieCoop
Just wanted to add that the idea of German cars being bad for electrical issue is a dated idea. A few years ago, Mercedes wised up and got an American to show them on how to properly wireup cars and BMW did the same... I know this cause my uncle works for said company. Anything 2010+ isn't going to have as many electrical gremlins.
German engineering is like that in every respect, not just the electrical issue but the mechanical as well was as design issues. Tensioner issues, plastic valve covers, pumps and thermostats!? Took 8 years to come out with a final reliable tensioner, outsourced parts for their cars using cheap manufactures. French and German engineer's over-engineering to a point where they have problems and don't know how to fix it. Mercedes did wise up and are climbing the latter, I'd rather own a Mercedes over any other German car.

We'll have to wait and see is Mini/BMW hit a reliable curve with the newer F56 MCS's.

Old 10-10-2015, 03:26 PM
whaap
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I've been buying cars since 1952. I love my Mini but it is the first car I have ever owned that I will dispose of (sell, trade) before the factory warranty runs out.

Old 10-24-2015, 02:40 PM
justaguyinvegas
3rd Gear
I prefer the term "quirky". I have a 2005 R53 that I bought new. I have no regrets. I admit that service is expensive, but the car is easy to work on yourself. I have saved thousands of dollars by doing most of my own repairs. I am no mechanic, but I have managed to do:

Countless oil changes
Six brake jobs
Two thermostats (latest is a redesigned model)
Two motor mounts
Upstream oxygen sensor
Spark plugs
Dinan intake

All this was done in the parking lot of my apartments! Mini's are economical, sporty, fun, and easy to work on. The perfect car for me. Heidi is the best car I have ever owned.

Old 10-25-2015, 04:01 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
didn't Consumer Reports just list it

as 10 best???????

We came in at #10 on Consumer reports most reliable cars. I was pretty surprised to see Mini on there.

http://money.cnn.com/gallery/autos/2...brands/10.html

Old 10-25-2015, 05:56 PM
Blues Trucker
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Capt_bj
didn't Consumer Reports just list it

as 10 best???????

We came in at #10 on Consumer reports most reliable cars. I was pretty surprised to see Mini on there.

http://money.cnn.com/gallery/autos/2...brands/10.html
404 page not found
did they change their minds?