Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Clicking Only When Backing Up

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 06:21 PM
gknorr
6th Gear
Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts
Clicking Only When Backing Up

Would like to get some opinions on something my MINI has done ever since getting the 6-speed in a few years ago.

I get clicking when backing up and the wheel is all the way left or right. When going forward, there is no clicking when the wheel is all the way left or right.

The clicking seems to point to bad outer CV joints, but since I'm not getting any noise going forward, I'm wondering if its just the way these outer CV joints are.

Has anyone else had this happen?

I just had an inner boot start to crack and was just going to replace the boot, but now I'm thinking about replacing the axles given the clicking in reverse...

Old 09-30-2015, 12:18 PM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Would you describe the clicking noise you're hearing like the click of a bad axle? When your wheel is straight and you reverse does it click? Or only when the wheel is turned left/right? If you have an extra set of ears handy to have someone listen more closely while you go in reverse for the noise to determine if it's in fact coming from somewhere in the wheel, it might help. Otherwise, if you want to go ahead and replace the axle, I'd say it's better if the noise is coming from that area than rebooting it. Once axles click, they can't just be re-booted.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 09-30-2015, 12:24 PM
gknorr
6th Gear
It does sound like axle click to me. It doesn't do it when the wheel is straight and backing up or any other time - only when fully cranked. Its been like this for 2-3 years and hasn't gotten worse.

I'll try to do some more listening tonight outside the car and see if I can pinpoint it to the outer joint.

Old 09-30-2015, 12:49 PM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Sounds like a bad cv to me.

Old 09-30-2015, 12:58 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Do you have a LSD?
Some, like the OEM sometimes made some noise at low speed, especially whan backing up...think i remember a TSB explaining it.

Old 09-30-2015, 01:44 PM
gknorr
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
Do you have a LSD?
Some, like the OEM sometimes made some noise at low speed, especially whan backing up...think i remember a TSB explaining it.
Interesting. I'm fairly certain mine does not have LSD. It was sourced from a wrecked 2005 with 49,000 miles on it (so now about 78k miles total on the axles), that's all I know for sure...

Old 09-30-2015, 04:50 PM
gknorr
6th Gear
I did some more listening tonight outside the car while my wife drove it in circles backwards.

Only the passenger side is clicking - must be the outer CV joint on that side. That's also the side with the torn inner boot seeping grease.

I noticed cracking but no grease leaking yet on the driver's side inner boot. Its on borrowed time for sure. All things considered, I'm just going to replace both axles while the transmission fluid is drained and hopefully be set for another 100k, fingers crossed!

Old 10-01-2015, 09:20 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by gknorr
I did some more listening tonight outside the car while my wife drove it in circles backwards.

Only the passenger side is clicking - must be the outer CV joint on that side. That's also the side with the torn inner boot seeping grease.

I noticed cracking but no grease leaking yet on the driver's side inner boot. Its on borrowed time for sure. All things considered, I'm just going to replace both axles while the transmission fluid is drained and hopefully be set for another 100k, fingers crossed!
I've done this a few times when trying to figure out noises and it always is funny having someone chase you around while you go in circles. I always think it looks funny for those possibly watching from afar.

I've had CV joints go bad with the boots looking fine, no tearing or wear. We have axles here if needed, Genuine and OEM supplier ones. Otherwise, look for a drivetrain shop around your area that does OEM in house rebuilds. This is what I have done in the past as a good alternative. Good luck! Be sure to update the thread and let us know if the new axles resolve your clicking noise.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST