Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

A/C issue. Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 05:19 AM
GAT
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A/C issue. Please Help

Just picked up an 07 MCS, 6 speed, 56k miles less than a week ago. Everything was in working order but I rotated tires and added 1 quart of synthetic 5-30 yesterday and now my A/C is not working this morning. I also noticed that my coolant reservoir was empty and will be picking some up directly after work. Excuse the noon question but would over filling the oil (which is not the case according to my dipstick) or low coolant prevent the A/C system from engaging? TIA

Old 09-15-2015, 05:24 AM
2010CHILI
3rd Gear
If your cars temperature rose to near overheat levels (please get some sort of gauge) it could cause the car to to shut down the AC in hopes of bringing down the temperature.
Sadly this is just where the problems with my MCS started, and it has been the shop for the better part of five months. I pray you don't have same issue.

Old 09-15-2015, 05:42 AM
GAT
3rd Gear
Thanks bud. It did not rise to overheat temp. The AC was not working from the moment I started the car up. Best of luck with your repairs, I know stressful it can be.

Old 09-17-2015, 02:37 PM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Are there any signs of coolant leaks? I'd check over the car, inspect the coolant tank and look for cracks or any signs of leaks, check the thermostat as it tends to leak and pool on top of the transmission, and check the water pump as well. Be sure to use MINI coolant when filling it up it the mean time, properly mixed as well 82-14-0-031-133.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 09-18-2015, 04:06 AM
GAT
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
Are there any signs of coolant leaks? I'd check over the car, inspect the coolant tank and look for cracks or any signs of leaks, check the thermostat as it tends to leak and pool on top of the transmission, and check the water pump as well. Be sure to use MINI coolant when filling it up it the mean time, properly mixed as well 82-14-0-031-133.
Thx for the info. No leaks found and coolant level has been corrected. Taking it to a local shop for diagnosis later today.

Old 09-21-2015, 01:13 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
Let me know what you hear. I would think thermostat / expansion tank leak.

Low coolant might lock out the a/c due to the fact it does not want to overheat the engine knowingly the coolant is low and and the engine will get hotter.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 09-24-2015, 04:36 AM
GAT
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Let me know what you hear. I would think thermostat / expansion tank leak.

Low coolant might lock out the a/c due to the fact it does not want to overheat the engine knowingly the coolant is low and and the engine will get hotter.
I have yet to take the car in for service due to my work schedule and the fact that no competent Mini Service shop is open on weekends in my area. There's no sign of coolant leaking anywhere. According to torque pro my coolant temp remains steady at around 223F with temps between 60-80F outside. Turning on the AC compressor at idle (even though no cold air blows out) sometimes make the coolant temp rise to 230F until the fan turns on and drops it back down to ~219F. Not sure if it's related but I'm also getting a slight burning oilike smell through the vents after stepping on it a bit. Smell goes away within a minute or so. Anyway, will have to bring it in soon bc I never go more than 4k miles without an oil change.

Old 09-24-2015, 06:28 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Its will be hairline and at first the thermostat leak is a couple drips on top of the transmission.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...8-no-heat.html

I would get this looked at as i could be in the beginning stages. Dont want you to overheat.

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 09-24-2015, 08:51 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Originally Posted by GAT
I have yet to take the car in for service due to my work schedule and the fact that no competent Mini Service shop is open on weekends in my area. There's no sign of coolant leaking anywhere. According to torque pro my coolant temp remains steady at around 223F with temps between 60-80F outside. Turning on the AC compressor at idle (even though no cold air blows out) sometimes make the coolant temp rise to 230F until the fan turns on and drops it back down to ~219F. Not sure if it's related but I'm also getting a slight burning oilike smell through the vents after stepping on it a bit. Smell goes away within a minute or so. Anyway, will have to bring it in soon bc I never go more than 4k miles without an oil change.
For the oil issue it could be an oil leak/seep and could be getting burned off on the exhaust or a hot component causing a smell. Can't link this thread as I believe this forum is blocked from this site so I am quoting for you below:

I'll assume the burning oil smell is being drawn in through the front vents. The first thing I would look for is oil seepage at the oil connection lubricating the turbo bearing. That crimped oil line connection has a flexible gasket o ring seal. They are known to start leaking after awhile. I suspect MINI is aware of this since the came out with a heat shield that clips over the fitting. Tightening the banjo bolt won't stop the leak if the rubber seal inside the crimped fitting is the culprit. The oil line will need to be replaced..... If this is where it's leaking......
#20 is the heat shield
#6 is the suspect oil line. 11657534454 HERE

When you bring it in, you can have them check that line.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:00 AM
GAT
3rd Gear
For the oil issue it could be an oil leak/seep and could be getting burned off on the exhaust or a hot component causing a smell. Can't link this thread as I believe this forum is blocked from this site so I am quoting for you below:

#20 is the heat shield
#6 is the suspect oil line. 11657534454 HERE

When you bring it in, you can have them check that line.
Thx bud. I think you may be spot on bc there seems to be a small amount of oil right where this line connects to the turbo. I'll see if I can take a picture.

Old 09-24-2015, 10:11 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Originally Posted by GAT
Thx bud. I think you may be spot on bc there seems to be a small amount of oil right where this line connects to the turbo. I'll see if I can take a picture.
You're very welcome. If there is, it's possible that is your culprit. Do check over everything else and make sure you don't see any leaks anywhere else.

Old 09-24-2015, 12:09 PM
GAT
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by GAT
Here are a few pics. You can see the oil on the turbo but there also appears to be some oil right above it, on the lower right portion of the motor. Any ideas on pic #2?

Old 09-24-2015, 12:31 PM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
So on the first image I see some residue on the black portion on the lower right, but now sure what I'm looking for in image #2?

Old 09-24-2015, 12:37 PM
GAT
3rd Gear
So on the first image I see some residue on the black portion on the lower right, but now sure what I'm looking for in image #2?
Maybe we're not seeing them in the same order? Pick 1 is the oil line to the turbo, looking pretty oily. Pic 2 is the lower right portion of the motor (when standing in front of the car), kinda hard to see but it's shiny/greasy there as well

Old 09-24-2015, 01:23 PM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Originally Posted by GAT
Maybe we're not seeing them in the same order? Pick 1 is the oil line to the turbo, looking pretty oily. Pic 2 is the lower right portion of the motor (when standing in front of the car), kinda hard to see but it's shiny/greasy there as well
Ah ok, I see what you're saying, by the coils. Similar oil residue on this image in this thread here. Could be cause of a bad VC or gasket. The valve cover leaking is not uncommon for the R56 unfortunately, but MINI has released an updated cover 11-12-7-646-555. The updated VC comes with a new gasket and everything else if that ends up being the issue. You can clean up the area and keep an eye on it to confirm where it is originating from.

Old 09-24-2015, 01:37 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Originally Posted by GAT
Here are a few pics. You can see the oil on the turbo but there also appears to be some oil right above it, on the lower right portion of the motor. Any ideas on pic #2?

Pic #1 is the oil leak on the line, looks like its just started or is very minimal.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-oil-line.html

Pic #2 is the valve cover itself or the valve cover gasket, most of the time ist the valve cover itself seeping oil. Looks again like in the early stages.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...lve-cover.html

We talked about them many times and most sites reference our links for there our DIYs..

If you need anything else I can help as I personally did all these repairs and reported the valve cover change a while back. 11127646555

Old 09-24-2015, 01:43 PM
GAT
3rd Gear
Pic #1 is the oil leak on the line, looks like its just started or is very minimal.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-oil-line.html
Pelican, ECS,

You guys are awesome. Really appreciate it.

Pic #2 is the valve cover itself or the valve cover gasket, most of the time ist the valve cover itself seeping oil. Looks again like in the early stages.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...lve-cover.html

We talked about them many times and most sites reference our links for there our DIYs..

If you need anything else I can help as I personally did all these repairs and reported the valve cover change a while back. 11127646555

Pelican, ECS,

You guys are awesome. Appreciate the feedback. Is the valve cover a simple DIY? I'm handy but have never done this before.

Old 09-24-2015, 01:45 PM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Originally Posted by GAT
Pelican,
You guys are awesome. Appreciate the feedback. Is the valve cover a simple DIY? I'm handy but have never done this before.
You're welcome. Glad I could help. Here is a DIY. And here is a DIY for the turbocharger replacement, which also goes over the oil line. If you're handy and have the tools, you should be able to do it just fine.

Last edited by PelicanParts.com; 10-14-2015 at 04:12 PM.
Old 09-24-2015, 01:55 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Originally Posted by GAT
ECS,

You are welcome glad I could help. The Valve cover is one of the easy ones. Its on top. Unplug the coil wire harness and take out the little front tray clip, peal back the harness and pull up on the coils. Then unlpug the side upper tube and that clip pops up if you use a small flat head screw driver. The O2 sensor wire comes off with that front trim on the valve cover. Then Undo the rear upper hose. There is a wire clip on the passengers side that will need popped off. Then undo the screws all around and pull up. Its off.

On install take that little valve out of the bag on the new one, pull the re tab on the back of the valve cover, then insert the new valve. Install like you have taken off but in reverse.

Old 10-21-2015, 01:19 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
GAT, any update on the fix ?

Old 10-21-2015, 01:29 PM
GAT
3rd Gear
GAT, any update on the fix ?
Regarding the AC, it's the fuse, it keeps blowing out. My car was in a minor front end collision before I purchased it and the wiring harness was not secured well. I think there's play that's causing a short somewhere. They also failed to install the parking lights and sockets so my fogs keep filling up with water when it rains, not sure if the water in there may possibly somehow be correlated to my AC issue. Anyway, I ordered the. Sockets along with the LED bulbs from you guys earlier this week, along with a few other goodies. Stay tuned for updates.

Old 10-21-2015, 01:38 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Thanks for the update, sounds like the front end high knocked that out and maybe the fog light cracked ?

We have new ones here aftermarket versions. 63172751295

https://www.ecstuning.com/News/MINI_...Light_Options/

Let me know how it goes.

Old 10-21-2015, 01:46 PM
GAT
3rd Gear
Thanks for the update, sounds like the front end high knocked that out and maybe the fog light cracked ?

We have new ones here aftermarket versions. 63172751295

https://www.ecstuning.com/News/MINI_...Light_Options/

Let me know how it goes.
No cracks or other flaws. The fogs were replaced with OEM fogs but the repair shop either got lazy, by failing to install, or forgot to order the parking light sockets. So now my fogs are functional but the parking lights (upper hole) is empty, no socket, meanwhile the socket attachment is just hanging out back there plugged into nothing. The unplugged parking light holes is where the water is coming in from. I'll take a pic a little later and show you what I mean.

Old 10-21-2015, 01:52 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Ok then you just need that upper plug.. Let them dry out and shoot some air from a compressor in there to clean of the dirt.

One for each light: 63128380205

https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/63128380205/ES2675434/

Then you can get the Ziza position light leds.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...s-tonight.html

Old 10-21-2015, 01:58 PM
GAT
3rd Gear
Ok then you just need that upper plug.. Let them dry out and shoot some air from a compressor in there to clean of the dirt.

One for each light: 63128380205

https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/63128380205/ES2675434/

Then you can get the Ziza position light leds.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...s-tonight.html

Yes, exactly. Ordered the plugs and Zuzana bulbs from ECS Monday night (along with some OEM viper stripes and roof stripes)

Quick Reply: A/C issue. Please Help