Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Purchasing an 06 Mini Cooper S

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 10:32 AM
KristaMcCoy
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Purchasing an 06 Mini Cooper S

Hello all!

I'm a new user and looking to purchase a mini, I have wanted one for YEARS and finally have an opportunity to buy one.

My uncle is a car dealer to almost exclusively sells used Hondas and Toyotas. My entire life we have purchased used cars from the dealer auctions through my uncle, my dad fixes them if needed and we drive them for awhile and then sell 'em. Its just always been how its done.

I have been keeping an eye on the auction for a few weeks for my elusive mini. I knew what I wanted, Nothing older than an 07(Unless its a manual, I HATE CVT transmissions.), blue, i wanted a sun roof and heated seats, under 100,000 miles. I would be patient and wait. I would sit and lurk and when I found her, She would be mine!
However, my 06 ford Escape decided to completely BLOW UP on me last week. I am now in a bit of a rush to purchase a new car.
There has been an 06 Mini Cooper S at the auction for a few weeks now, She is everything I wanted in my mini, except, she is an 06 automatic. She has just a few hundred miles over 100k. (100,400) There is a mention of the detail page that the AIRBAG light is on?

The car itself is in great shape, she looks like the previous owner took great care of her. I have avoided driving it in the past few weeks because I wasnt intending on getting the CVT tranny.

I wanted to come to you guys and ask your opinion, Should I hold out on a NON-CVT? Is there anything I should look for when I test drive it this weekend? Any advice? Or should I listen to my family(who doesnt want me in a mini anyways) and just avoid it and get another ford focus for a bit? :-/

Any advice you guys can give would be greatly appreciated. I'm thinking I may be able to get it for around 4-5 thousand and put some extra loving into it. I dont mind putting work into it, my dad can help, we just dont have any experience with these type of cars.

Thanks everyone! (also I can post pictures if anyone wants to see them)

Old 09-03-2015, 10:44 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
As the Motoring File buyers guide here states, be weary of the optional CVT transmission, especially with higher miles. Take a look at it and read over some other common issues. Ultimately, if you can, try to wait and get the manual transmission that you want. If you're needing something now, try searching www.cars.com, craigs list, www.autotrader.com, etc and see what may be out there. Otherwise, since you're going to test drive it, look over everything and really be sure to pay attention to the common failures listed at that buyers guide. It wouldn't be a bad idea to pull up the maintenance records and see what all has been taken care of as well.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 09-03-2015, 01:18 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
+1 on avoiding the CVT. The '06 manual gearbox is the Getrag 5 (justa) or 6 (S), very reliable. Some wag on another thread likened the CVT to being constructed out of wet cardboard. Funeral arrangements for a CVT can run anywhere from $5K to $7K.

Old 09-03-2015, 01:21 PM
MINIAC
6th Gear
Received 94 Likes on 71 Posts
The CVT was not used in 1st Gen Cooper S models ... only Cooper models.

Old 09-03-2015, 01:26 PM
KristaMcCoy
Neutral
Thanks guys!

Someone else informed me that the 06's used an "aisen" transmission? Any info on those? is it more reliable than the CVTs?

Old 09-03-2015, 01:30 PM
JAB 67
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts
A 2006 R53, i.e., the supercharged S model, if automatic would not have the CVT; it would have the Aisin 6-speed automatic which has been relatively reliable.

Old 09-03-2015, 01:32 PM
KristaMcCoy
Neutral
Originally Posted by JAB 67
A 2006 R53, i.e., the supercharged S model, if automatic would not have the CVT; it would have the Aisin 6-speed automatic which has been relatively reliable.

That thrills me so much I could kiss you.

Old 09-03-2015, 01:37 PM
MINIAC
6th Gear
... it would have the Aisin 6-speed automatic which has been relatively reliable.
... and was used in all 2nd Gen models and continues to be used for the 3rd Gen MINI

Old 09-03-2015, 01:40 PM
KristaMcCoy
Neutral
Originally Posted by MINIAC
... and was used in all 2nd Gen models and continues to be used for the 3rd Gen MINI
LINE UP YOU GUYS HAVE MADE MY DAY

new question!
is 100,000 too many miles for this? My commute is about 40 miles round trip everyday, back roads with a little congestion in the afternoons.

Old 09-03-2015, 02:37 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Smart move not disclosing your location Krista. You'd have strange MINIs lined up down the street waiting their turn.

Old 09-03-2015, 05:43 PM
NC TRACKRAT
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 148 Posts
IMHO, I know you're anxious to get your MINI but I'd wait for a 6-speed S with lower mileage. It's that old "Pay me now or pay me later". Half the fun of a MINI is manually shifting and doing it well. The '05 and '06 MCS are considered "Best of Breed". Gear ratios are the best and reliability is above average.

Old 09-03-2015, 08:34 PM
Shawnnn
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
A mini with 100k miles is going to need some maitnence most likely. Any service records available?

It wont need a clutch so thats good. The list of other parts that can potentially fail is pretty long and the more miles the higher the chance.

If you and your dad are able to fix stuff it will help a lot. If you can fix cars dont worry about never having worked on a Mini, plenty of resources to help you figure it out.

I do agree with NC, I would wait for a 6 speed but if you can get it for around 4k that's a very good price for an 06 with ok miles on it. Depends on how bad you want a manual I guess

Old 09-04-2015, 05:24 AM
KristaMcCoy
Neutral
Id rather avoid a manual, tbh. I have a connective tissue disorder so my knees and hips have issues. I can drive them and its no big deal, but when im in any sort of stop and go traffic it causes quite a bit of pain for me later. My work commute really doesnt have any traffic but never know.

Thanks to everyone on their input! I am hopefully going to look at it soon and I'm very excited and hoping I can get it.
Here are some pictures

Last edited by KristaMcCoy; 09-04-2015 at 05:40 AM. Reason: Photos
Old 09-04-2015, 05:47 AM
Shawnnn
5th Gear
It sounds like its exactly the car you want, it looks great too

Good luck!

Old 09-04-2015, 06:18 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Congrats. That's a good car to get!

Old 09-04-2015, 07:55 AM
KristaMcCoy
Neutral
Originally Posted by Shawnnn
A mini with 100k miles is going to need some maitnence most likely. Any service records available?

It wont need a clutch so thats good. The list of other parts that can potentially fail is pretty long and the more miles the higher the chance.

If you and your dad are able to fix stuff it will help a lot. If you can fix cars dont worry about never having worked on a Mini, plenty of resources to help you figure it out.

I do agree with NC, I would wait for a 6 speed but if you can get it for around 4k that's a very good price for an 06 with ok miles on it. Depends on how bad you want a manual I guess

Would you mind giving me some idea of some things that may need replaced going forward? I know for a fact a USED automatic transmission for this guy would run me about 2-3 thousand dollars if it needs replaced(oh please god no), but any clue on maybe some of the other stuff needing done and a cost?
Also, From what I've seen the airbag light being on is a very easy fix?

Last edited by KristaMcCoy; 09-04-2015 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Airbag light
Old 09-04-2015, 10:18 AM
Shawnnn
5th Gear
My air bag light has been on since I bought the car. Maybe someone else can let us know what the easy fix is lol. from what I've read people say it will still work. I'm going with that

Bought my 2002 r53 with 90k. In 1 1/2 years I've needed the sc rebuilt, head gasket, tensioner pulley, wheel bearing, control arm bushings, parking brake cables, clutch

Other common problems include the crank pulley, power steering pump, and possibly struts.

Cost ranges from $80 to over $1000

Of course your car might be perfectly fine. Hopefully some of this stuff has already been replaced. Also, plenty of people have had none of these issues, or maybe just one. I love my mini but I'm also realistic. It's needed way way more work than my wifes 1999 Honda.

I still think you should buy it, 2006 is the best year and you're getting it for a good price. Most fun car I've ever had

Last edited by Shawnnn; 09-04-2015 at 10:24 AM.
Old 09-04-2015, 01:27 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Air Bag Light

Register you car in the MINI lounge at MINIUSA.com. That should let them know where that particular VIN is so they can include it in the recall. The recall has started but is moving slowly as parts are made available. I've had mine since June with no shop invite yet. The recall campaign number is 15V-205.

Old 09-04-2015, 02:03 PM
Grizld700
6th Gear
Don't be too discouraged by Shawnnn's vehicle its not indicative to what you should expect with a 2006 vehicle. They changed a lot of things by then. That being said, I would still budget for some routine maintenance to be safe.

Old 09-04-2015, 04:52 PM
NC TRACKRAT
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 148 Posts
At 100K+, O2 sensors can go bad (I `believe that MINI extended the warranty up to 100K mi.). Best to change air filter, fuel filter, oil & oil filter, brake fluid and coolant immediately unless you know they were done recently and correctly. Check brake pads, too. Check front lower control arm bushings and front suspension end links, tie rods, front wheel bearings/hubs. Cabin air filter probably needs changing, too. You'll want to watch your serpentine belt and tensioner, as well as thermostat and water pump. Highly recommend that you always carry a spare serpentine belt...better yet, put a new one on and carry the old one for emergencies' sake.

Last edited by NC TRACKRAT; 09-06-2015 at 08:29 AM.
Old 09-06-2015, 06:53 AM
BernieCoop
3rd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by KristaMcCoy
Thanks guys!

Someone else informed me that the 06's used an "aisen" transmission? Any info on those? is it more reliable than the CVTs?
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ed-at-80k.html

Avoid Mini automatics altogether. Get a manual or bust. I have the Aisin and it's been a headache since day one. If you find one that's doing well and you just have to have an automatic, have the transmission fluid flushed immediately and be ready that if it starts acting up, to shell out 1k for a Revmax valve body. They fail because the bearings inside the solenoids can't withstand the added heat... Heard Mini has improved this in later model Coopers, but that does us 05-06 guys no good.

Also, another issue I'm dealing with right now is the crank pulleys on these cars tend to fail above 100,000 miles. As preventive maintenance, go ahead and replace it as soon as you can with an ATI or PRW pulley from Way Motor Works and Revolution Mini Works (and get familiar with those names, lol).

Other problems I've had:

TPS failure... Replaced throttle body with used one off of eBay. $80.

Cracked intake hose... $50

Cracked radiator... Replaced with cheapo eBay one... $62

Engine fan failed... which led to the A/C clutch burning up. New engine fan was around $80 and the A/C clutch was $95. Most just replace the whole compressor when it fails tho.

ABS/speed sensor... AKA the Trifecta issue. When the traction control, ABS, and tire pressure light all come on... Common fault, but cheap, easy fix... $20.

And that Airbag light is actually the weight sensor in the seat. $1000 fix for those that don't know about the recall Mini has put out for it. Mine has been on since I got it in July of 2011.

Other than that, I love my Mini and my Bernie is the only car that I've driven that puts a stupid grin on my face every time I drive him. I guess what I am saying is that if you're going to get a Mini, be ready to be full invested in it, but the reward has been so worth it to me.

Last edited by BernieCoop; 09-07-2015 at 05:45 PM.
Old 09-07-2015, 09:58 AM
KristaMcCoy
Neutral
Thanks for all the input guys!!!

So I test drove it today and I loved it. However, two concerns.
There was a distinct WHINE while excelerating. Not sure what would cause that??
Otherwise it needs a paint job, new wheels(the rims are covered in curb rash)

Otherwise it was gorgeous and handled well.

Any input on the whining???

Old 09-07-2015, 10:35 AM
MINIAC
6th Gear
There was a distinct WHINE while excelerating. Not sure what would cause that??
You mean other than the supercharger?

Old 09-07-2015, 11:28 AM
jamez
5th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
?..There was a distinct WHINE while excelerating. Not sure what would cause that??
The supercharger creates a wonderfully intoxicating, gonna-get-you-a-ticket, scream-like whine when accelerating hard over 3K RPM. Depending on the intake and a few other variables it can be loud on some cars.

I'd recommend finding some other R53's to do a quick test drive on so you can compare that noise (and other sounds) to know what is what.

Otherwise, at low speeds the PowerSteering pump may be audible and is definitely a whining sound (for both the actual sound and the repair necessary when it fails)

Old 09-07-2015, 03:16 PM
KristaMcCoy
Neutral
The best thing I have ever done is join this group.

Thanks guys!! Keep your fingers crossed for me as we go to the auction!

Quick Reply: Purchasing an 06 Mini Cooper S