Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Warning light not going off

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 05:46 AM
HaveATank
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Warning light not going off

Ok so yesterday i got the "Bulb Of Exterior lighting system Failed". so i replace the parking light passenger side bulb with a new one (w5w), but the light is still on. I looked all around the car for any other light being out and nothing. all the other lights are fine, so do i have to clear this some way some how. i thought this would just go away on it own after i replace it or after some driving but it wont. it getting alittle annoying every time you get in the car it comes up. I swear this car are sophisticated for nothing.

This is the light is on page 183 of the manual.

Old 08-30-2015, 07:55 AM
gjxj
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
sorry no help, but dont you love a big yellow warning indicator thats so obtuse you need to go home and look it up to even have a clue what it means.

(I have that too, but havent gotten around to fixing the bulb)

Old 08-30-2015, 09:02 AM
HaveATank
4th Gear
Well i started to look in BMW forums and found some possible solutions which i will try later. It seems like BMW (going to assume it applies for Minis) have an additional brake light when hard braking. I looked into the rear light (i have a 2011) and it seems like there are two bulbs there that don't light up no matter what i do, so my assumption is that this are the lights the system is reading as no good.

On Friday night i was on the Highway and had to hard brake from 50-0mph ABS kicked in and maybe this is when the system detected that the light didn't work or they burned out, didn't see any lights that night, So the following day This Pass Saturday I started to get this light which i had to go research. and then found that the parking passenger side light was not working, So i replaced and thought that was it but it wasn't. so guess im going to try this two solutions first

Possible solutions
1. take out both your tail lights take all the bulbs out make sure everything is clean/clear reinstall all the bulbs and see if that light goes away.

2. Replace all the bulbs in the rear light housing, which i think i will just do since i don't want to do this twice. The light that are not working are like $10-$15 dollars.

If you get around to it let me know. I may not have time to do it today, but when i do ill let you know.

Old 09-02-2015, 05:26 PM
dwschmidt
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have what seems the same symptoms. I checked all bulbs as best I can, and see none that do not work. Mine is a 2012. On mine it appears all three bulbs on each side tail light are working. I pulled some of the bulbs and put them back in, verified working, but no change.

Old 09-03-2015, 02:16 AM
dwschmidt
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I found another thread of relevance:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...g-failure.html
One point in that thread is to check the license plate lights. Sure enough, on mine both plate bulbs are burned out. I had missed that.

Old 09-03-2015, 04:21 AM
Drivehard
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HaveATank
Ok so yesterday i got the "Bulb Of Exterior lighting system Failed". so i replace the parking light passenger side bulb with a new one (w5w), but the light is still on. I looked all around the car for any other light being out and nothing. all the other lights are fine, so do i have to clear this some way some how. i thought this would just go away on it own after i replace it or after some driving but it wont. it getting alittle annoying every time you get in the car it comes up. I swear this car are sophisticated for nothing. This is the light is on page 183 of the manual.
Did you check the BRAKE lights? Someone has to step on the pedal and someone needs to be out back. Sounds like you checked around alone. Don't forget the third brake light.

Sent from my iPad using NAMotoring

Old 09-03-2015, 04:42 AM
gjxj
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
good thought. I figured the brake lights would have a different warning (like the headlights do) but looking at the manual I guess not.

reverse lights may be another thing to check

Last edited by gjxj; 09-03-2015 at 05:17 AM.
Old 09-03-2015, 07:11 AM
HaveATank
4th Gear
Checked everything. What I ended up doing was re-seating all the bulbs and the light went away. I went to auto parts store and just got all the brake light bulb and replaced them. They are cheap enough. Spend $10.67 for silvania (I think is 7506) bulbs.

I'm sure one of the bulbs is on it way out, but I guess not the brake lights lol. Let hope it not a short somewhere because it wouldn't matter if it new or old bulb.

Originally Posted by Drivehard
Did you check the BRAKE lights? Someone has to step on the pedal and someone needs to be out back. Sounds like you checked around alone. Don't forget the third brake light.

Sent from my iPad using NAMotoring