Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

2002 no tachometer or dash lights! checked everything!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 04:40 AM
triple5soul
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 no tachometer or dash lights! checked everything!

Just recently picked up a 2002 MINI COOPER BASE. Amongst other issues it had, the last thing im trying to fix now is the tachomter not working (needle or lights dont work) and no dash lights work other than the radio and odometer.

I removed all the carpeting and checked the bcu and all the harnesses, luckily there little/no water and everything looked good. I even let the bcu sit in the sun for a few days to be safe.

Ive also tried a different tachometer and speedometer. All Fuses seem to be good

all gauges on the speedometer work except the backlights, and the trip meter always resets to zero every time i start it.

and help would be great

thanks

Old 08-22-2015, 05:39 AM
triple5soul
1st Gear
checked all fuses for the 3rd time today, all are well.
Also removes the center console and checked all wiring underneath. Everything looks fine, although there was a 2 pin connecter next to the cig. lighter that doesnt go to anything

Old 06-09-2018, 05:04 PM
tb1
Neutral
Same issue.

Did you ever find the cause of this problem? My mini just started doing the same thing.

Old 08-18-2018, 05:56 PM
Justin Green
Neutral
I have a 2002 S that is also started doing this after I had replaced the clutch . I still haven't figured out the cause but I have exact same issue. No tach gauge at all it is dead. No dash lights or back illumination on the speedometer gauge and trip meter resets every Time. I do have some signs of water around bcm but can't afford to change it . I have an extra tachometer out of a wrecked car that I will swap too and post results if any .

Old 09-09-2018, 01:41 PM
Mike Rodgers
Neutral
Originally Posted by triple5soul
Just recently picked up a 2002 MINI COOPER BASE. Amongst other issues it had, the last thing im trying to fix now is the tachomter not working (needle or lights dont work) and no dash lights work other than the radio and odometer.

I removed all the carpeting and checked the bcu and all the harnesses, luckily there little/no water and everything looked good. I even let the bcu sit in the sun for a few days to be safe.

Ive also tried a different tachometer and speedometer. All Fuses seem to be good

all gauges on the speedometer work except the backlights, and the trip meter always resets to zero every time i start it.

and help would be great

thanks
Please let me know if you ever fixed this issue I having the same problem, such annoying thing!!!

Old 10-27-2019, 07:02 PM
ptkacik
4th Gear
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Please help.

This has been intensely frustrating. Occasionally, and maybe related to a rain event, imy R50 does the following. The tachometer stops working, dash lights all light up, the CVT starts shifting very erratically, (like to first gear on the highway). Sometimes clearing the OBDII codes fixes it completely for two weeks.

It seems like the "rain in the BCU problem" but I don't see any sign of water. I've had the MCU out and checked, soaked the wiring harness in the cowl area to no affect. The BCU looks fine but there are many splices in the harness to the four connectors (look like old dealer repairs).

As bizarre as it seems for a $1000 car, I'm planning on replacing the entire wiring harness, the BCU, the MCU, and the battery box and lid.

And I don't know if this will even resolve the problem.

Peter

Old 11-19-2019, 07:46 AM
megaDan
4th Gear
Received 178 Likes on 114 Posts
AFAIK the BCU doesn't control the dash lights/gages. All of this information comes from the ECU through the X15 connector in the drivers footwell just below the fuse panel. If you've had sunroof drain leaks this will likely have been submerged and the connector is probably corroded.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/r...345200/UzFjVpY

I'd suggest taking this out and looking at it. If it is corroded, try and clean the pins, or hit them with flux and a soldering iron to remove the oxidation that is likely on them.

This is all assuming you've verified fuses are good , but if your whole dash is out its probably not a fuse issue as you'd have to have many that were blown. X15 is really the only culprit that would connect everything.