Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Shorted alternator out, gauge lights don't work now

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 07:51 AM
nismo4life
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shorted alternator out, gauge lights don't work now

So working on 2 identical minis late at night, mistakes are bound to happen. I embarassingly didn't disconnect the battery on my girlfriends car and proceeded to short the alternator power line against the housing. Well after I finished servicing the car I noticed that the turn signals do not make the typical "clicking" noise while operating, and I have absolutely no interior dials/buttons back lighting besides the steering wheel controls. The navigation also gets stuck on the MINI logo boot screen. I'm thinking I fried something in the BC1. Is there a way to confirm that before I go spending $900 to replace it? Is it possible for the harness to have fried, or is there any other controllers to check?

Yes, I did check the fuses too lol. That's how I assumed it's the bcm, all the cabin fuses check out fine.

Old 08-05-2015, 08:13 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
I would check all the fuses again , like the block fuses first, sometimes its hard to see the fine cut line/ blow in the block fuse. Under the hood near the driver side, then go through all the kick panel fuses on the driver side also interior. Then look and pull the BCM , you will have to check the main board for burns and damage. On a short most are caught by the block fuses.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 08-05-2015, 08:30 AM
nismo4life
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
I would check all the fuses again , like the block fuses first, sometimes its hard to see the fine cut line/ blow in the block fuse. Under the hood near the driver side, then go through all the kick panel fuses on the driver side also interior. Then look and pull the BCM , you will have to check the main board for burns and damage. On a short most are caught by the block fuses.
Thank you kind sir. For what it's worth I checked the kick panel fuses with a continuity tester to save time from pulling each one and visually inspecting.

Totally forgot about the engine bay fuse block. I'll check those when I get out of work, as well as open the bcm and check for blown capacitors or burn marks. For haha's in pulled mine out of my car which did not have a matching BCM number and absolutely nothing changed, granted car in question is fully loaded minus jcw, and mine only has a sports package.

I'll check those and report back later tonight .

Old 08-05-2015, 08:31 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
Originally Posted by nismo4life
Thank you kind sir. For what it's worth I checked the kick panel fuses with a continuity tester to save time from pulling each one and visually inspecting.

Totally forgot about the engine bay fuse block. I'll check those when I get out of work, as well as open the bcm and check for blown capacitors or burn marks. For haha's in pulled mine out of my car which did not have a matching BCM number and absolutely nothing changed, granted car in question is fully loaded minus jcw, and mine only has a sports package.

I'll check those and report back later tonight .

You are welcome.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172