Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Brake rotor retaining screw stuck

Old 07-25-2015, 01:14 PM
j-gregs
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I'm doing my brakes R53, 2006, and the screw that holds the rotor on is frozen. I'm guessing somebody used loc-tite or something. I have the T50 torx bit and it not budging. I'm worried it's gong to strip. Any ideas? I'm going to head to sears and see if I can get a torxs bit for my impact screw driver, but if that fails it's either leave the rotor or get the ez outs, which I've never really had any success with. Any other ideas? I'm at a loss. Thanks,

-J

Old 07-25-2015, 02:20 PM
Da_Ghost
5th Gear
Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
Heat. Even if a little soldering butane torch is not the fastest thing to heat up metal, it can make a difference. If you have a propane one, it's even better. You heat it up as much as you can and hit it with the impact screw driver.

Old 07-25-2015, 02:23 PM
BuffMyRadius
1st Gear
I had to drill out one of mine a while back. The brake continues to work fine without it, it's just slightly more work to line up both the wheel and rotor with the hub holes. From what I hear you're more likely to break the head off the placement bolt then strip it out too.

Good luck!

Old 07-25-2015, 02:33 PM
danjreed
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Drill it.

Old 07-25-2015, 09:20 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
Heat it up and try to hit it with the impact. That usually works.

If that doesn't work I commonly use a hammer and chisel to turn it out. Normally once you get it turning you can get it right out with the torx as long as it's not rounded out.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 07-25-2015, 10:16 PM
j-gregs
2nd Gear
Hey thanks guys. Hit it with a small propane torch and my impact screw driver deal. No luck. My neighbors a super rad guy and I asked him for some help. Luckily he had an oxy acetylene torch and an impact wrench. The combo of the two got the fronts off. Amazing how tight they were. The backs were fine with the impact driver sans torch. Also shout out to craftsman. I had some O'Reilly torxs bits and they were bent all to hell from the impact screw driver. They looked like a boat propeller. The craftsman stood up to an insane amount of heat and the impact gun.

The weird thing is the set screws and the new ones are slightly out of round. Almost triangle. The brand new ones and the old ones. Any ideas why those bolts are not spherical?

Anyways. Put it all back together 20 ft lbs with a dab of never seize. Hopefully won't happen again.

Thanks again for helping me out guys!!

Old 07-26-2015, 06:42 AM
gjxj
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Glad you got it. I like to put the impact wrench on its LOWEST setting and let it hammer away for a minute or two.

Old 07-26-2015, 09:46 AM
jradcliffe02
1st Gear
Had to do this yesterday. Bought a set of 3/8" Hex sockets and put them on my impact wrench. Hit it with PB and then impact. Mine's an 03 with 117k on it and I think the rotors are original.

Old 07-28-2015, 09:10 AM
ti22fjc
4th Gear
+1 on having to drill
That's probably the worst screw/bolt on the car that I've dealt with....

Old 07-28-2015, 10:29 AM
mattsch1981
1st Gear
A manual impact driver is the way to go.

Old 07-28-2015, 10:31 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
Drill it or tap it out with a hammer and chisel on the side, make a notch and then hit the front and back with PB blaster. Impact wrench if you have one, try it first.

Those bolts can really be bad, that's why when I get a new MINI or older one, pop the wheels off and take the brake rotor screw out and coat it with anti seize, then install again. If the head is damaged from the last person, i just put new in and coat it again.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/07136772426/

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 07-29-2015, 09:37 PM
j-gregs
2nd Gear
Yeah mine all got a good bit of never seize this time around. Can't believe how hard they bind even when only torques to 20 ft/lb. Glad i didn't have to go the chisel route. Not sure I would have been able to get that to work.

Old 07-31-2015, 05:17 AM
Shawnnn
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I just throw the little screws in the garbage.

Pretty sure 4 or 5 lugs nuts will hold the rotor in place just fine

Old 07-31-2015, 05:25 AM
Stinch
3rd Gear
I got mine out last month by a couple of well placed hits with a punch and hammer followed by an air impact wrench. Came right out. Use of anti-seize grease and I'll never have that problem again.

Old 07-31-2015, 06:39 PM
jamanta
1st Gear
Started my brake job last night, all 4 screws were very tight. No air tool and no impact could get it out. I was able to get 3 of them out with the T50 on a breaker bar. Unfortunately one of them rounded out and I had to punch it out.

I now have to replace one screw, I know it can be driven without it and I see the link above from ECS. Does anyone know if I can find the same screw locally at a hardware store such as Home Depot or Ace Hardware?

Last edited by jamanta; 07-31-2015 at 06:45 PM.
Old 07-31-2015, 06:47 PM
Shawnnn
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Really dont need the screw

It does nothing except hold the rotor on when the wheel is off

The 4 lug nuts are more than sufficient to keep the rotor on

Old 07-31-2015, 08:40 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Regarding the bolt being out of round..,they make prevailing torque lock nuts that are oval, maybe it's something like that.

I just had mine out yesterday and failed to notice.

Last edited by cerenkov; 07-31-2015 at 08:53 PM.
Old 08-09-2015, 06:39 AM
WhoHasGotTheBlueS
3rd Gear
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by jamanta
Started my brake job last night, all 4 screws were very tight. No air tool and no impact could get it out. I was able to get 3 of them out with the T50 on a breaker bar. Unfortunately one of them rounded out and I had to punch it out.

I now have to replace one screw, I know it can be driven without it and I see the link above from ECS. Does anyone know if I can find the same screw locally at a hardware store such as Home Depot or Ace Hardware?
I don't think Ace, True Value, Home depot, or Lowe's has that.

In Portland area, if you don't want to go to the MINI dealer, you could go to Discount Import Parts (In Milwaukie or Beaverton), or Halsey Import Parts (in NE). I prefer the former but have found both places helpful for German vehicles. Admittedly I've only bought VW parts there, but I think both these guys should have it. Call them and see.

Old 08-09-2015, 11:00 PM
j-gregs
2nd Gear
Pelican parts has the screws for super cheap. They have a kit for the brakes that comes with brand new ones. I replace mine every time I do the brakes. Plus now I'm adding never seize to the mix. Might just skip them altogether next time. Check out pelican parts though. Super cheap parts and you can get genuine BMW too if you don't want aftermarket.

Old 08-10-2015, 05:02 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
We include the brake screws in all our service kits, plus we have the largest MINI catalog. currently the Genuine one is $ 2.19 through us.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 08-10-2015, 06:27 AM
JABowders
6th Gear
Received 177 Likes on 166 Posts
+1 on Impact Driver... like this one...

and how to use it...

Motor on!

Old 09-18-2015, 03:10 PM
Yo'sDad
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Schawnnn, your are the only poster on this thread with the correct answer and you are being ignored. Those screws only keep all the lug holes aligned while the wheel is off. If you must be **** and have them there, apply anti-seize, turn it in with a screwdriver by hand until snug then back it off 1/4 turn. As long as the head remains below the surface of the disk hat you are good, it will never be a pain to remove again. And while you are at it, apply a thin amount of anti-seize on the center hub where the wheel fits, and also on your lug bolts.

Old 09-18-2015, 08:02 PM
BRGPA
4th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts
I agree that anti seize should be used on the rotor retaining screws, but my opinion on it's use on lug bolts differs. I believe that torque values are based on dry threads and the use of lubricants on bolt threads results in overtorquing. I've never used anti seize on them and haven't had any problems ever.

Old 10-22-2020, 01:48 PM
Jason S
Neutral
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Holy crap guys.. in process of working mine out. Wow talk about a sadistic design !
I get the purpose of pinch/lock nuts - but to apply that [pre-deformed] principle to those rotor screws is just straight malicious design.
Ridiculous/unnecessary overkill.

All mine were frozen.. tried heat/impact/PB-Blaster etc. for hours with no luck - and ended up having to drill ALL them out.

The thread is M10x1.5 - so get your tap & die set ready.

Golly I couldn't even thread the new [WTF ? Triangular ? ] screws in without wanting to cross-thread.. so I used a die on them to diminish their shape - and in hopes it makes them easier for the next guy.

Old 10-22-2020, 02:14 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
doing MINI brakes since my new off the lot 2002 ... never had one of these screws beat me.

I use a hunk of rebar threaded between two lug studs and the garage floor to wedge the hub FIRMLY (think %) then use the proper size TORX socket and an 18 inch breaker bar after soaking the bolt with PB blaster for 15 min or so.

Left hand pushes the socket into the bolt .. it WANTS to come out and make things get ugly. Right hand pulls up on the breaker bar ... slow and steady until I feel it 'give'

Ain't failed me yet .....

The following users liked this post:
ECSTuning (10-23-2020)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake rotor retaining screw stuck