Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

PCV hose missing N18

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 05:52 PM
whalejr31
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PCV hose missing N18

Hey all! New to the mini lifestyle with the recent purchase of a 2011 Clubman S. Was changing out the air filter and noticed a hose was missing. I did some searching around and found a diagram online that points it to the PCV valve hose that come from the intake tube to...?

After digging through the countless posts about N14 engines deleting or catch canning their PCV valves and the N18 having the problem "addressed" i could not find a reason as to why i should be missing the hose. The valve is there on the intake tube and i havent been able to get under that car to see where it connects to and if anything is there.

Long story short:

Does anyone know where i should be looking for a connection on the back side of the engine?

Is there any reason the previous owner would have removed it purposefully?

Thanks for any insight! and I'm sorry we all had to meet this way!

Attached Thumbnails PCV hose missing N18-pcv.png  
Old 06-29-2015, 11:15 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
While I may not have an answer for you regarding the missing PCV hose, I can tell you if one or both PCV hoses on my N14 are disconnected the engine runs, idles horribly and wants to stall. Also if your PCV hose was disconnected you would be throwing many codes, does your engine run smooth at idle?

Old 06-29-2015, 11:27 PM
whalejr31
1st Gear
Yes the car seems to run fine. I didn't notice it was missing until i saw it was not on the intake PCV valve. The hose that goes to the valve cover is there and attached the one i seem to be missing is the smaller diameter hose that goes behind the intake box and drops down and connects somewhere on the aft side of the engine. (Not really 100% sure where as i have not put it on ramps yet to look around) The car seems to idle fine no bouncing and seems to drive normal. I test drove a 2012 MCS and a 2010 MCCS (i know the 2010 is a N14 but from what was changed i don't think the driving characteristics would be different) and there was no noticeable difference in driving feel. There has been no oil present under the car and have checked the oil a few times over the past few weeks and it doesn't seem to be consuming any. I am taking a guess that the aft connector has been capped for some reason and they just left the PCV on the intake hose and removed the actual hose otherwise i would imagine there would be at least some amount of oil visible as is the whole point of the system.

Just trying to figure out why this might have been done, hide a problem or what potential problems this could cause in the long run, I figure the more knowledge the better. I plan on getting it put back to stock unless someone can explain why i wouldn't want to do this. I understand the reason the N14 owners capped one of theirs but it seems redundant to do so here.

Edit: Also no light and no codes

Any input and insight would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by whalejr31; 06-29-2015 at 11:37 PM.
Old 06-30-2015, 02:10 PM
AlphaQuad
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I had a 2011 Countryman S with the N18 engine that did not have that hose also. I noticed though that starting from 2012 that hose was present in all MY after. I never really got an answer to why that hose was added after the 2011 MY on the N18 engines. On the 2011 the connector is there but it's sealed off. Maybe the engineers planned on adding it a later time? Or maybe it was for emissions?

Old 06-30-2015, 02:19 PM
whalejr31
1st Gear
Thank you for the added clarification. I literally am sitting in my car at the dealership I purchased the MCCS from who looked at it and actually pulled a 2011 MCS from the lot to compare and they were both capped so I felt a little reassured. In my panic from finding what looks likes a hose connector I didn't realize it was capped (what an odd cap). This just helped reaffirm that my mini is ....normal? (That doesn't seem like the right word, as I'm learning this car is far from normal!)

Thanks again for all who replied!

Also is there any way to be sure this is fairly easily found for any other new mini owners who panic like I did?

Old 06-30-2015, 02:26 PM
AlphaQuad
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
No problem @whalejr31, I was just always curious as to why it was added to later revisions though? You would think since its a part of the PCV system it would be an important component.

Old 06-30-2015, 03:00 PM
whalejr31
1st Gear
The only thing that makes sense to me is emissions. When i was looking it up online that part is labeled for 2011-2015 model yr so it will fit just a matter of swapping out the parts. It was defiantly thought of before production happened as it is all setup for it to happen (hell i noticed it because of the clip for the hose on the air cleaner box!) so you have a capped port on the intake tube, a clip to hold the hose on the intake box, and I'm assuming a cap on the block. To go through the trouble to have all that included and not take the 2 seconds while the engine is out of the chassis on assembly line to add a hose makes me think it helps in a political way (emissions) and not a functional way too much. With that said i know the hose i found online was $100 granted they make them for a tiny fraction of that but that adds up over 1,000s of cars.

I am going to look at it this way, the factory determined it was not needed and i know that the N14 guys played around with capping one of theirs off which helped from what i read so i am going to let it be unless i see something that convinces me to spend $150 on a hose and connectors and hook it up. Not a lot of money per say but with all the searching i did yesterday and nothing about 2011 N18s having a specific problem with PCV valves or anything of the sort i guess knowing its factory i am not that worried. Also i just ticked over 40,000 miles and the only maintenance this car shows (lots of mini dealer records) are typical wear items like oil etc.

Long story short my best guess is emissions...if i am ever in DIRE need to trust my local mini dealer (tried to buy a car from them and it was a very unpleasant experience) to work on my car then i will try to remember to ask!

Old 04-29-2016, 09:53 AM
VictorR56
Neutral
PCV mod

I want to change the oem turbo intake but... I have no idea what to do with the two sensors that goes one close to the turbo and the other at the right side of the tube. I see that some people when use the oil catch can remove the sensor... But what to do with them?

Old 08-04-2018, 05:02 PM
aguilani
Neutral
thanks for posting this. I have a 2011 MCCS with what at first looked like a missing hose, but after reading your post and reinspecting the intake valve, mine too is plugged and inoperative. My airfilter has the metal clip also, which added to my scare that I was missing a hose.

Old 09-01-2019, 12:52 PM
my_wifes_mini
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Dredging up an old issue, Ive got a 2011 and I dont have "that hose." Is there any need to add that hose? I've got the NM Engineering Intake/Inlet and I've got an open Y pipe coming from the PCV fork.

Can you add the hose? Where does it connect int he back?