Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Mini Wont Start

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 01:46 PM
lotuseyes
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mini Wont Start

My 2007 MCS 108k miles, has started to exhibit multiple issues. First one started about a month ago. Upon starting the engine it would stall and idle rough. Yet would not return until next day if the car sat for around 8-12 hours. Been thinking it may be the HPFP dying. Other is I have not been able to remove my dipstick for the past 3000 miles. Now just the other day the car completely stalled while my wife was driving, and I discovered the dipstick has been broken in half. The mini has been exhibiting the death rattle upon startup. Then just yesterday after having the car toad, the battery died. Now I have had the battery replaced it cranks fine but won't start. I am wondering if this could be related to the HPFP, or the timing chain guides failing/ loose chain? I'm located in Orlando, FL.

Thanks in advanced.

Old 05-29-2015, 07:55 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
It sounds like you'll at the very least you're looking at a new timing chain components and a new dipstick. Problem is if your valves and pistons were damaged because of the timing chain skipping a cam gear you could be in for an expensive repair bill! This is the first time I ever heard of a dipstick splitting into two pieces. The dipstick goes through the timing chain guides and if there broken that explains why your dipstick into pieces.

You need to find a reputable shop and have your car diagnosed, if you don't know of any let us know what area you live in because we might be able to find a reputable shop in your area.

Old 05-31-2015, 08:42 AM
lotuseyes
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Systemlord
It sounds like you'll at the very least you're looking at a new timing chain components and a new dipstick. Problem is if your valves and pistons were damaged because of the timing chain skipping a cam gear you could be in for an expensive repair bill! This is the first time I ever heard of a dipstick splitting into two pieces. The dipstick goes through the timing chain guides and if there broken that explains why your dipstick into pieces.

You need to find a reputable shop and have your car diagnosed, if you don't know of any let us know what area you live in because we might be able to find a reputable shop in your area.
Thanks for the reply assistance/recommendations. I brought the mini into the local dealer Orlando Mini for a diagnoses. I already knew for sure that one of the timing chain guides had broken before I dropped it off but I am trying to have Mini Goodwill the repair so they told me I must have it verified that the timing chain assembly indeed will need replacement by a mini dealership. From there they could look into covering it. They told me it would take 3-5 business days to get an approval. Really hoping they will cover it, and that nothing else is damaged .

thanks again

Old 06-01-2015, 05:22 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
It took Mini USA more than three weeks to see if they would cover my timing chain and components. Don't hold your breath.

Old 06-02-2015, 03:57 PM
lotuseyes
1st Gear
Did they end up "goodwilling" the repair?

Old 06-02-2015, 10:47 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Originally Posted by lotuseyes
Did they end up "goodwilling" the repair?
No but this was long before they started the campaign covering the timing chains and reimbursing those that payed out of pocket and even people who spent $10,000 for a new engine. Your chances are better than mine were, but don't get your hopes up because there's nothing worst than being disappointed. I always expect the worst from everything in life, that way when the worst happens it doesn't infuriate me as much.

Old 06-03-2015, 04:27 AM
JABowders
6th Gear
Received 177 Likes on 166 Posts
ouch! Best of luck with it...

If the 07 is like the earlier designs the oil dip stick passes through part of the timing chain guide, so... I would guess the guide broke (adding lots of slack in the chain) but as the moving parts are flailing around the broken timing chain guide, that is what broke the oil dipstick.

The replacement for the timing chain and guide and dipstick are pretty straight forward, the real worry is IF the chain has jumped a tooth or two has it caused any damage to the valves and piston tops.

All the better if MINI covers it...

Motor on!

Old 06-03-2015, 07:26 AM
lotuseyes
1st Gear
Yes, Greatly appreciate the reply. Will keep everyone updated.

Old 06-04-2015, 11:58 AM
lotuseyes
1st Gear
Had to call Mini Usa today myself to hear bad news. They said they will not offer any goodwill or assistance as this issue was caused from an oil leak! Oil filter housing they said was leaking and thus they will not cover or help pay for the repair at all. I strongly disagree, but what more can I do... Does anyone know of a reputable Mini mechanic in Orlando ?

Thanks for your help.

Old 06-04-2015, 05:35 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Typical MINI/BMW response, they act like the oil leak caused your problem and it's your fault. Mini has a campaign for Mini Cooper S models that are supposed to be covering, Mini reimburse the money I spent fixing the timing chain tensioner and all components of the timing chain assembly, has your Mini ever had its timing chain or tensioner replace before?

Old 06-04-2015, 08:30 PM
lotuseyes
1st Gear
It's sad how they are treating this. And putting it on me. Well, the last owner had the timing chain assembly and tensioner replaced at around 60k miles. But I don't think it was the updated parts. Do you think I will have any chance for reimbursement? Or see if they are any class action lawsuits? Thanks so much for the reply.

Old 06-04-2015, 09:43 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Originally Posted by lotuseyes
It's sad how they are treating this. And putting it on me. Well, the last owner had the timing chain assembly and tensioner replaced at around 60k miles. But I don't think it was the updated parts. Do you think I will have any chance for reimbursement? Or see if they are any class action lawsuits? Thanks so much for the reply.
Just what I thought, once Mini USA replaces all the timing chain components you only get one freebie, next timing chain failure is on you. It's funny because everyone knows that a timing chain usually last beyond the life of the engine, it's still a defect no matter how many times you're changing the timing chain. Oh and when Mini USA paid to have all timing components replaced they install the defective parts that originally caused the problems. Mini USA had to update the tensioner 5 times and the chain 3 times to get it right, this shows they don't know what the hell they're doing. don't expect any help from mini USA.

Take them to small claims for installing the same defective parts that originally caused the problem, show them how many times they got it wrong. That's negligent engineering.