Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

New Battery, New ignition switch, No push start.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 07:25 PM
dynoplex6
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Battery, New ignition switch, No push start.

Hey guys,

Last week my 06 Cooper S decided not to start up for after work. The lights and radio worked but I didnt hear the starter trying work. The 1st thing I thought was maybe the battery was dead or on it way out since it sounded like the starter wasn't receiving any power. I went to the store bought a new battery and she still wouldnt start up. So now i figure the battery is new, it must be the ignition switch not sending power to the starter. I installed the new ignition switch and still nothing. Today a buddy from work and I attempted to push start it and it sounded like it wanted to start up but wasn't receiving enough gas to fire it up or the crank wasnt spinning fast enough.

Has anyone experienced something like this? Any suggestions on what it could be would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 05-27-2015, 04:40 AM
JABowders
6th Gear
Received 177 Likes on 166 Posts
Before to much information is thrown your way, first thing first... look into your engine compartment and check all your exposed wiring, look for evidence of a critter getting up in there and chewing on your wiring harnesses. This time of year this is a common thing that can happen. If this is the case, then finding and repairing the damage can be a time consuming chore, or it can be a simple fix.

But before you spend loads of time and money throwing parts at it, do this first.

And after this it should fall back to basic diagnostics, the basics of Power, Fuel, and Spark.

POWER:
Use a remote starter switch and jump the starter solenoid, does the starter spin? Isolate the issue. If the starter spin this way the issue is is between the starter and the ignition switch e.g., fuse, relay, circuit breaker.

SPARK:
Pull a spark plug and with it connected and grounded do you have spark when the engine turns over?

FUEL:
Pull a fuel injector and insert it into a plastic water bottle, crank the engine over, does it spray fuel?

Best of luck.

Motor on!

Old 06-05-2015, 03:01 PM
BernieCoop
3rd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by JABowders
Before to much information is thrown your way, first thing first... look into your engine compartment and check all your exposed wiring, look for evidence of a critter getting up in there and chewing on your wiring harnesses. This time of year this is a common thing that can happen. If this is the case, then finding and repairing the damage can be a time consuming chore, or it can be a simple fix.

But before you spend loads of time and money throwing parts at it, do this first.

And after this it should fall back to basic diagnostics, the basics of Power, Fuel, and Spark.

POWER:
Use a remote starter switch and jump the starter solenoid, does the starter spin? Isolate the issue. If the starter spin this way the issue is is between the starter and the ignition switch e.g., fuse, relay, circuit breaker.

SPARK:
Pull a spark plug and with it connected and grounded do you have spark when the engine turns over?

FUEL:
Pull a fuel injector and insert it into a plastic water bottle, crank the engine over, does it spray fuel?

Best of luck.

Motor on!
Please God, don't let this be my issue. I just posted a thread about my '05 MCSa not wanting to start up... I could have sworn I smelt fecal matter in my garage last night... Dang it.

Old 06-05-2015, 03:19 PM
Nicefeet
5th Gear
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
I wonder if the clutch pedal switch is dead? This would be where I would start

Old 06-11-2015, 12:44 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
Clutch pedal switch would be a start : 61319231129

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/61319231129/

Also did you looks at the little ground cable between starter and the selionid ? Its can rust apart and loose contact.

Mfg Part# 12417570488

http://www.ecstuning.com/Mini-2006-Cooper-R53-S-Coupe-L4_1.6L_W11B16A/Engine/Electrical/5

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172