Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

knock noise after brake pad install

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 05:19 PM
go_mini
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
knock noise after brake pad install

Hi, I opened a thread hoping I can get a response regarding this issue. I'm sure someone has ran into this before.

After replacing the front pads, with new oem ones I picked up from the dealer near me. I started to notice weird knock when I reverse the car and apply my foot on the brake for first time, after driving forward. If I apply my foot on the brakes again, I don't hear it.
If I drive forward for a while, then try to reverse and apply my brake again, I hear it...I checked all the bolts and everything is torqued to spec. rotors are still the original ones have about ~50-60% if that helps.

I appreciate all advice.

Old 05-21-2015, 05:57 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
Double check the bolts again. I've seen this when one caliper bolt is left loose.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 05-21-2015, 06:12 PM
go_mini
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
Double check the bolts again. I've seen this when one caliper bolt is left loose.
That's what I suspected first when I first heard it. I already went a second and checked the bolts. All bolts were tightened again, and still hear it. can it be the rotors? I also did notice the passenger side end link pushing that connects to the strut the rubber is cracked and leaked some grease out, was wondering if this is also a source of what may be the issue?

Old 05-22-2015, 02:53 AM
Angib
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just wondered if the right pads have been used, Cooper vs S. Did you compare new and old pads to check? If the dealer used your car's identity to decide on pad choice, this error shouldn't be possible and I don't know if it can be physically made - when converting my Yurpeen diesel from Cooper to S brakes, I didn't compare the pads.

Old 05-22-2015, 03:59 AM
go_mini
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Angib
I just wondered if the right pads have been used, Cooper vs S. Did you compare new and old pads to check? If the dealer used your car's identity to decide on pad choice, this error shouldn't be possible and I don't know if it can be physically made - when converting my Yurpeen diesel from Cooper to S brakes, I didn't compare the pads.
That's what I'm hoping not the case..I read on some other forums incorrect pad may be the cause of the issue. but to answer your questions, the dealer did not grab the parts based on running my vin#, but he grabbed them based off year and model and subtype (06 cooper s). I happen to still have the receipt for the pads. When I looked at the part# in the receipt online, the part# listed on the receipt was for 06 mini cooper s. I wish I kept the box they came with to make sure the part# listed on the box matched the # on the receipt just to be sure. When I go home today, I will look for the receipt again and hopefully I still have the box for the pads somewhere. And no, I threw the old pads away...not sure if there was any reason to keep them

Old 05-22-2015, 05:26 AM
Angib
4th Gear
I apologise if I sowed the seeds of doubt - it's just what came into my mind and out through my fingers without my brain filtering it.

I'm no expert on first generation cars but wasn't 2006 the changeover year from R53 to R56? Someone here should know.

But that does suggest it is possible to have pads meant for the wrong car. Looking at RealOEM, the brake pad part numbers would be:

R53: 34116770332
R56: 34116778320

I see the R56 pads was also used in R53s - that would be in the JCW brake option, I think.

Last edited by Angib; 05-22-2015 at 05:35 AM.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:57 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Have you taken this complaint back to the dealer to have them cross reference and make sure they're the correct pad? Could very well be the wrong pads. Just for kicks, to add another idea to the pot, it sounds like it's possible that the pads are moving. Sometimes this is simply fixed by putting a type of adhesive tape (3M tape) on the back of the pads. I've seen this happen a few times on non-Mini cars. If you look under the brakes section of these tech articles here, take a look at them and make sure everything was installed properly. Good luck.

edit: to cross reference part numbers, I believe front pads OEM # is 34-11-6-770-332. Check out the parts catalog here for other part numbers if needed.

-Luccia

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

Last edited by PelicanParts.com; 05-22-2015 at 10:02 AM.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:51 AM
redparchel
3rd Gear
obviously not your car, but I had a similar issue on my r56 JCW when the pad shims weren't installed and the pads were moving.

point being maybe your pads are moving?

Old 05-22-2015, 12:33 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
GEN2 begins with 2007 model year for hard top

basic GEN1 pads differ greatly from GEN2 pads (and GEN1 JCW brakes are the basic GEN2 fronts for an S)

GEN1 fronts are the same for a non JCW S and a JUSTA

GEN1 fronts, the inner pad has a big 3 prong clip that fits INTO the caliper piston.

example from MINIMANIA

Worn out brake pads? These are Value Line replacement FRONT Brake Pad set for the BMW Mini Cooper and Cooper & S. Not for MINIs with the JCW Sport Brake option (with the red front calipers).
Item: Front Brake Pad Set

Fits:

2002-2006 R50 MINI Cooper and R53 Cooper S Hatchbacks
2005-2008 R52 MINI Cooper and Cooper S Convertibles

Front pads not compatible with JCW Sport Brakes.

GEN2 pads have no such clip and the tabs at the ends of the pads, where they fit into the grooves of the caliper are different . . .

if OP got the wrong pads I'd think he noticed . . .

did you do only the fronts? cuz this kind of issue is more common on GEN1 rears which also have a spring clip arrangement on the inner pad, and this one is easy to install wrong . . .

Old 05-22-2015, 08:20 PM
go_mini
2nd Gear
I wish it was an incorrect part#. but I don't think that's the case.
Here's the part# I found on my receipt and on the box (34-11-2-167-233). when i look up my min's last 7digit vin online, i was able to pull up this part#. I will take the pads out tomorrow and re-inspect and go over my installation again. If the knock continuous, I'm taking the pads back to the dealer. wish me luck.

Old 05-23-2015, 03:59 AM
Angib
4th Gear
I can see that huge spring clip is not something anyone would miss.

Ah, well, it was an idea worth checking.

Old 05-23-2015, 06:22 PM
go_mini
2nd Gear
ok...so i took the front brakes apart, cleaned up eveything, re pasted the back of the pad and made sure the spring clamp holding the caliper assembly ok...also picked up some fresh rotors since im already taking everything apart..took the mini for a test drive and voila, the knock is gone. i was not able to identify what the exact problem was but what im guessing was maybe the pad have moved a little bit when i was using the old rotors and that what i think might caused the knock. after putting the new rotors in, there was not much space for the pads to move around. maybe someone else with more techy experience could of solved the issue without replacing the rotors...but anyways..

thanks for everyones help on this. im really happy the issue got resolved.