Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

06' MCSa odd aisin gearbox behaviour

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 07:30 PM
Melvinyip
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06' MCSa odd aisin gearbox behaviour

Hi, I have recently bought a mini r53 2006 and performed atf fluid change and also changing the atf filter. My car now occasionally shifts to 5th gear when I'm at standstill e.g traffic lights / at junctions. It would take a few seconds or sometimes I would need to shift to P and back to D then only it will shift back to 1st gear. So far over the span of 3 weeks, this has happened twice. No check light has appeared and I have double checked the fluid level.

I figured out I was stucked in 5th gear by switching from D to m/s mode when it occurred. As I tried to manually downshift/up shift it didn't work and it stayed at 5th gear till I shift it to P and back to D a couple of times (between 5-10sec) then it went back to 1st gear.

Do you reckon I have a bad gearbox valve body? Or you have any other suggestions to my problem. Thank you..

It has also happened once when I was on a uphill traffic. The car rolled backwards as I let off the brakes while engaged in D. I tried accelerating but it didn't work. Had to turn the car off and turn it back on to work.

Old 04-21-2015, 07:35 PM
Melvinyip
1st Gear
Error code

I have found this error code from diagnosis tool scan, was wondering if it had anything to do with the problem I'm facing. ABS/DSC CODE 5e15, CAN connection to EGS.

I barely had this mini for a month and I'm pretty upset with this issue.. Hope to have a solution to this soon :'(

Old 04-22-2015, 09:54 AM
Melvinyip
1st Gear
Link to video

Here's a link to the video of my issue. Occurred again today when I was in D mode..

https://youtu.be/2diI_4X_kNY

Old 04-22-2015, 07:12 PM
Aspen
4th Gear
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
not good I'm afraid to say. You may have the rotated sleeve issue. Previous owner likely dumped the car as soon as it started.

search on "aisin automatic" in the first generation forums.

http://www.gearsmagazine.com/magazin...bb0dad4#page12 The mini and the VW share the O9G tranny.

You might try an shift adaptation reset first. A MINI dealer "may" be able to try that for you, but the article above indicates that most scan tools will allow the reset.

Last edited by Aspen; 04-22-2015 at 07:19 PM.
Old 04-22-2015, 10:16 PM
Melvinyip
1st Gear
I have reset the adaptation couple of days back and had since driven approx 600 miles. The problem still persist just yesterday. Sigh..

Any chances of fixing this?

Another issue is the 2nd gear seems to lurch ahead around 2.5k rpm whenever I press the gas lightly. It seems to want to accelerate with the rpm shooting up + car jumping forward and then cuts off, jerking back as I held on lightly to the gas pedal.

Happens always during cold start. After warming up, it seems occur less and smoothen out.

All other gears works perfectly fine and high speed run is perfect. I'm in dire need to rectify this issue asap as this is my only daily ride for work.

If someone could point me on how to repair this / parts that needs replacing, that would be great. I've been searching high and low for the past couple of days but to no avail.

:(

Old 04-23-2015, 06:20 AM
Aspen
4th Gear
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
The 2nd gear issue is most likely the worn valvebody issue. You would need to replace it with a rebuilt one. The rotated sleeve can be repaired, but that means a big job with trans out, I think. Maybe a complete remanufactured tranny would be a better option. I think the going rate is about $5k installed. A new tranny from MINI will run you about $9k. Sorry

As you can see the best option is to dump the car and make it somebody else's problem.

Old 04-24-2015, 06:36 AM
Melvinyip
1st Gear
Owh man.. Sucks to hear that. Problem is I just got this car barely a month. I really love the ride and wish to fix it up and keep it.. Was wondering any experts or owners who have had this issue before would able to advice on ways to get this fixed. Not sure if i should swap it with a refurbished unit or try to rebuilt mine. :'(