Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Long Term Preventative Choices

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 06:25 AM
TorchMINI
4th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Long Term Preventative Choices

I have the N 12 engine (straight Cooper), seven years and 70k into its life. I want to keep it and do my best to prevent any engine failures way down the road of life.

Question to my esteemed Mini mechanical minded colleagues, should I replace the timing chain cassette now, at midlife? My slack was measured at 69 mm, which is over spec, but it did get a new tensioner bolt at the dealer and pronounced 'good to go'.

If I did it now I'd be good for another seven years, it seems, which should be long enough.

Also, should I replace the serpentine belt while I'm at it? I broke one in my Saturn and lost the engine. I never see or hear of anyone replacing it in their Mini, nor is there a mention of it in the manual.

I am willing to spend a few thousand to keep the chances of longevity good, but I need to know how best to use such an investment. To me these seem like reasonable candidates, but then there's always the vacuum pump to consider too...

Anyone else pondering such choices so they can keep their Mini?

Old 04-02-2015, 05:28 PM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
I just replaced the vacuum pump on my car this week. I felt under the pump, and there was wet oil. The replacement wasn't bad.

Keep an eye out for leaks. Water pump, thermostat, and oil filter housing are all known issues. The coolant resevoir can also crack on the bottom and develop a small leak. I've replaced all of these items on my car.

I can't comment on the timing chain.

The most important thing is to make sure that you check the oil on a regular basis. That way if you start losing significant oil in the vacuum pump you will recognize it.

Have fun,
Mike

Old 04-02-2015, 06:06 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
Definitely replace the serpentine. Also, brake and radiator flush and start thinking about plugs. You don't say whether the gear box is manual or auto but a flush there in another 20K or so as well. Ours is nearing 90K and we've an appointment in a couple of weeks for a major 'turn your head and cough' session prior to an estimated 7K mile road trip this spring. The front end bearings, bushings, ball joints and etc. will get a thorough inspection and makeover as needed, as well.

Forgot to mention replacing the cabin air filter too.

Last edited by Fly'n Brick; 04-02-2015 at 09:58 PM. Reason: - afterthought -
Old 04-02-2015, 07:04 PM
AZdsrt
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Fly'n Brick
...estimated 7K mile road trip this spring.
Hey Fly'nBrick, are you still planning the west coast PCH trip? Sorry about hijacking the thread..

Old 04-02-2015, 10:05 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Originally Posted by AZdsrt
Hey Fly'nBrick, are you still planning the west coast PCH trip? Sorry about hijacking the thread..
Indeed. Looking hard at the 'Lincoln Highway' for a majority of the trip out adding that to a bit of Rt. 66 last year and the year before...what Tod and Buz would have done had they thought of it.
A hijack's not to offensive if there's no hooliganism attached....maybe.

Old 04-03-2015, 05:30 AM
TorchMINI
4th Gear
No worries about hijacking here guys, it's good to see some activity on my question! Flyin Brick, thanks for the opinion on the belt. All the other items have been done already. (and have a great 7000 mile trip!)

Mbwicz- I am using some oil recently, but a drop never shows up on my floor. I should go and put my hands on the pump and see. I'll have to find it first...
My oil is always full and clean. My tranny is automatic and I have done about five partial drain-and-fills with new fluid. I do one with each, or alternate oil changes. My local garage has learned how to to that. I have never had the pan removed from the AT yet.

The coolant reservoir is a new one to contemplate. I've already done the thermostat which announced its own demise by leaking.
I'm saving for the car maintenance as fast as I can put it aside, but it will take a while to get a few thou for the timing chain and belt. Meanwhile the Mini purrs along as if perfectly new, so with luck, I have time to save.
Thanks for sharing advice.

Old 04-03-2015, 07:40 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
An idea for self insurance, read this in the AARP mag. Set aside just $1 the first week, $2 the next, $3 the third and so on until the last week of the year at $52. which will fill you war chest up with $1378. That could cover a multitude of sins your li'l MINI could think up.

Old 05-16-2015, 06:07 AM
skuzfoz
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A *bit* late here, but:

-Timing chain: Since you got a new timing chain tensioner, that's all you should need. The N12, for whatever reason, doesn't have the timing chain issues of the N14.

-Serpentine belt: If it does go, you shouldn't lose the engine. Still a good idea to replace that soon.

-Vacuum pump: Ideally, the internal o-ring should fail and cause a little bit of oil seeping out of the unit well before any catastrophic failure. On the N12 it's really easy to take off, so it wouldn't hurt to check inside for gunk.

Old 05-16-2015, 08:54 AM
TorchMINI
4th Gear
Thanks skuzfoz and Flyi'n Brick,
My oil leaks got worse and I found that two gaskets were leaking, so I went ahead and did the timing chain replacement along with the gaskets, and of course replaced what was left of my drive belt (not much), all for a thousand. It gives me a new engine. I feel my car has a new half life ahead now.

My other longevity trick is to do a partial drain and fill of the auto trans. fluid every other oil change.
My long term worry #1 now has been demoted to the rust erosion of my sub frame from Michigan weather salt, despite the frequent spraying underneath.

Old 05-16-2015, 08:54 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
A bit late here too for AZdsrt: We are departing 0800 May 25th. Just replacing the spark plugs made a huge difference in performance. They're something that doesn't get much thought in the day to day.
Hijack over.

Old 05-16-2015, 08:59 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TorchMINI
My long term worry #1 now has been demoted to the rust erosion of my sub frame from Michigan weather salt, despite the frequent spraying underneath.
A little of that here. A steel brush, Loctite rust remover and a good rust preventative paint is about all you can do.

Old 05-16-2015, 09:04 AM
TorchMINI
4th Gear
Good ideas- needs a lift to go with it.
I need a garage that will let me put my car over my head. I can't see crawling under it, even with ramps.

Old 05-17-2015, 05:12 AM
buzzsaw
6th Gear
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-rust-converter.html. This is an amazing rust remover. I helped my son in law remove a lot of rust on his camping trailer frame using this product. It took what we anticipated to be a day long project down to an hour. Good luck.