Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Help, can I determine what software I have?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 04:42 PM
Andrew James Weiss
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help, can I determine what software I have?

I just purchased a used 2009 mini Cooper S Hatchback. I purchased from a non-mini dealer. The car was clean and relatively low mileage at 42k. It was cold during the test drive so I didn't utilize the windows and didn't think to try. Now that it is home, I Am having the issue with the drivers side not dropping when opened and when raised it automatically reverses back to 1/2 open.

I am going to try some of the re initialization procedures to see if it helps, but I am concerned that I may need the "software" update I have read about on the forums.

Is there any way to determine if the previous owner had the car updated at the dealer as per the TSB?

Thanks,
Andrew

Old 03-02-2015, 11:36 PM
afadeev
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew James Weiss
I just purchased a used 2009 mini Cooper S Hatchback. I purchased from a non-mini dealer. The car was clean and relatively low mileage at 42k. It was cold during the test drive so I didn't utilize the windows and didn't think to try. Now that it is home, I Am having the issue with the drivers side not dropping when opened and when raised it automatically reverses back to 1/2 open.

I am going to try some of the re initialization procedures to see if it helps, but I am concerned that I may need the "software" update I have read about on the forums.

Is there any way to determine if the previous owner had the car updated at the dealer as per the TSB?

Thanks,
Andrew
Software updates usually refer to engine management (DME) software. Nothing to do with window operation.

Does the window go down at all, if prompted by the up/down switch?
If not, it could be a blown fuse, or a burned out motor. Both should be easy to replace.
If the window does work, but does not react when the door opens, then suspect the sensor that detect door open position, or window motor settings w.r.t. open/close door mode.

a

Old 03-03-2015, 11:09 AM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Actually, software updates on these car affect almost all systems in the car.

There is a way to use the button on the end of the turn signal stalk to access the maintenance menu, and one of the sub-menus there will show the software version. Post that version string here, or call your local dealer, to find out if it is out of date.

Most likely your problem can be fixed either by re-initializing the windows (see "window reset procedure" elsewhere on this forum) or possibly by cleaning up or replacing some of the window mechanism bits. Yes, I know that's not very specific, but I haven't dug into the doors on my MINI. And I hope to not have to for a long while...

Old 03-03-2015, 04:14 PM
Andrew James Weiss
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks. I will find the menu and post the number. It has been cold here so I haven't spent much time in the car I am hoping I can reset the window. My first attempt didn't work, but I have read many different versions of the re-initialize procedure and I am not sure I did it right. I will try that again as well.

I have read there a software update for models up through 4/2009 that reconfigures the FCM. Since mine is an 09, I don't know if I need the update or not.

The windows work (as far as moving up and down) so it isn't a totally blown motor.