Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Clutch Bleeding or New Clutch?

Old 02-22-2015, 12:16 PM
Archduke Andrew
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch Bleeding or New Clutch?

Okay so the Tuesday before last I was driving home and I noticed it was hard to change gears which was odd becasue my 2003 Mini Cooper S usually is fine when it comes to the clutch. It never slipps or makes noise or anything. I couldn't put it into gear when I tried driving up my driveway, but I eventually got it and it was shifting fine. So, I left.

Then about 20 min later after I dropped someone off at their house, I returned and tried to put my car into first to go up my hill and the pedal sank to the floor and was spongy. I couldn't put the car into any gear and when the peday returned it felt weird like it was shaking but it wasnt shaking.

So my father and I thought it was the slave and master cylinder and we replaced those. We also replaced the line going to the slave cylinder becasue it had a rubber ring on it that we needed. After all of that, we tried bleeding the system and got a firmer pedal but still not there yet. After turning the car on, the car runs at a little higher than normal rpms (usually 1000 but its at about 1200). I can put the car into first gear fine, but the car will not go into 2-6 without a little effort and the pedal still feels shaky.

Is this a hydraulic issue or is this a pressure plate issue?

Old 02-22-2015, 04:37 PM
NC TRACKRAT
6th Gear
Received 200 Likes on 147 Posts
From your description, it would appear that you still have air in the system. IMHO, it would've been better to have just replaced the slave cylinder first. Then, if that didn't solve the problem, replace the master cylinder. Did you bench bleed the master cylinder before installing it? I suggest that you use the search function for "how to bleed the clutch slave cylinder". It's an arduous process and rarely done completely on the first attempt. It's imperative that you use a tool to completely bottom the plunger before opening the bleed nipple. Using a MOTIVE pressure bleeder will also make the job easier.

Old 02-22-2015, 05:25 PM
gdwrench
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very true about the bleeding, the slave needs to be completely compressed to have a chance and it will take a few attempts after that more than likely .... How many miles are on the car? Original clutch setup ?

Your description of shakey might lead some to think the throw-out bearing cocked to the side on the input shaft sleeve and has began to grind its way into the fingers of the pressure plate assembly. These little setups did not have a very stout clutch fork to begin, and with wear over a period of time does not improve its odds

Old 03-03-2015, 02:30 PM
sprp85
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Slave is such a ***** to bleed on mini.

Its not a DIY friendly item to replace..

(Coming from a guy who has pressure bleeder, right tool to compress the slave, 5+ qts of brake fluid spent, 2 brand new slave later...)

The best thing I've ever did was to take the car to a shop. Boom. Fully firm & good pedal. $120 Well Spent.

Old 03-03-2015, 02:46 PM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
^Yes it is^. Search around for the 'Flipping the Clutch Master' method. It's tedious, but you'll get it done after spending twice the time that you planned. Go to it!