Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Can the starter jamb the engine/Motor

Old 12-17-2014, 02:45 PM
drozd
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can the starter jamb the engine/Motor

Hi just a stop confusion as I'm from the UK so I call the power plant of the car the engine and the starter a Motor,

I've got my R53 in storage under a cover for a year now about 3 months ago I started it " started first time on the button" the other day I tried to start it but there was a click but the engine would not turn over, at first I thought it was the battery but that was OK, tested it on another car, as the battery leads where getting warm it seemed like the starter motor was trying to turn the engine, so I removed the spark plugs but the engine still would not turn over
then I put it in gear, reverse and first, but the engine was completely locked, I tried towing it a few feet in gear but the tyres just dragged engine would not turn then after a few tugs it turned over about 5 times by towing, but as soon as I tried to start it clicked an the engine locked again now I cant free it even by towing with the spark plugs out .

could the starter Motor jamb the engine or have any of you got an idea what it could be?

Old 12-18-2014, 04:42 AM
v10climber
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by drozd
could the starter Motor jamb the engine or have any of you got an idea what it could be?
It is possible. The starter could be sticking and getting stuck in the flywheel gears somehow. Just pull the starter and check for damage on the teeth.

Old 12-18-2014, 05:54 AM
jamez
5th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
Yup it can.

When starting the car, the starter's gear "shoots out" of it's resting place meshing with the gears on the outer edge of the flywheel and cranking the engine. It's entirely possible (but I haven't heard of it before) that the starter seized in that position. The starter gear uses a spring and electromagnet to move - cutting the power to the starter puts the gear in the resting position - so it's weird that this has happened.

Old-school solution to sticky starters (usually stuck the other way) is using a persuader (hammer/mallet) whilst cranking it. You'll likely have to jack the car up to get access to it. Come to think of it - I don't know if the starter is even accessible to hit.

BE VERY CAREFUL as that's one dangerous-a$$ way to do it.

Last edited by jamez; 12-18-2014 at 05:58 AM. Reason: further clarification
Old 12-18-2014, 06:08 AM
doxbike
1st Gear
stuck starter

Originally Posted by drozd
Hi just a stop confusion as I'm from the UK so I call the power plant of the car the engine and the starter a Motor,

I've got my R53 in storage under a cover for a year now about 3 months ago I started it " started first time on the button" the other day I tried to start it but there was a click but the engine would not turn over, at first I thought it was the battery but that was OK, tested it on another car, as the battery leads where getting warm it seemed like the starter motor was trying to turn the engine, so I removed the spark plugs but the engine still would not turn over
then I put it in gear, reverse and first, but the engine was completely locked, I tried towing it a few feet in gear but the tyres just dragged engine would not turn then after a few tugs it turned over about 5 times by towing, but as soon as I tried to start it clicked an the engine locked again now I cant free it even by towing with the spark plugs out .
had that happen to a 58 Ford I had. Solution is to put it in 3rd or 4th gear and rock it backwards. My dad knew this, but my mom and I didn't and we broke a very expensive tail light with her trying to push me with her car.

You'll usually hear a whoosh when it retracts and releases the cylinder presssure. It'll rock back a little when it releases. Good luck. FWIW usually means you have a broken tooth on the flywheel-at least on the Ford

Old 12-18-2014, 08:55 AM
drozd
2nd Gear
Thanks for the replies I hope it is the starter not the engine, I cant even see it, Its under two heat shields and the exhaust manifold, the manual says you have to remove the manifold to take it out!

Old 12-18-2014, 09:55 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Since the car sat for more than a year...
Are you 100% sure the brakes are not frozen up?
If they got wet...cast iron rotors can rust to the pads...
If the clutch is not engaged (OR IT IS IN PARK ), it should NOT MATTER IF THE STARTER IS STUCK...cause you don't tow a car in gear....unless you are push starting it...

Old 12-18-2014, 10:51 AM
v10climber
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
If the clutch is not engaged (OR IT IS IN PARK ), it should NOT MATTER IF THE STARTER IS STUCK...cause you don't tow a car in gear....unless you are push starting it...
Good point. Didn't think about that

Old 12-18-2014, 01:13 PM
drozd
2nd Gear
Since the car sat for more than a year...
Are you 100% sure the brakes are not frozen up?
If they got wet...cast iron rotors can rust to the pads...
Are you 100% sure the brakes are not frozen up?.... no car rolls along fine

If the clutch is not engaged (OR IT IS IN PARK ), it should NOT MATTER IF THE STARTER IS STUCK...cause you don't tow a car in gear....unless you are push starting it

...... I put in gear and got ex wife to tow it just a couple of feet while I looked to see if the engine turned over (plugs out in first gear) I tried rocking it back and forth until I was knackered, so I just wanted to confirm my suspicion the engine was stuck.

Last edited by drozd; 12-18-2014 at 01:43 PM.
Old 12-18-2014, 04:08 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Since you had the plugs out, I would pour about a tablespoon of oil into each cylinder (lighter is better)....will make the cranking easier, prevent damage, and even help to loosesn it if will not crank due to a bit of corrosion....

One more thought...
If the starter Bendix is stuck in the extended position...a car will usually run fine...maybe a buzz or whine for a few minutes till the little gears on it a chewed up....
Since the battery cables are so LONG on a r53, sometimes a weak battery can still start another car...but not a mini...
I would connect the battery.... Attach jumper cables for a few minutes...maybe 15...
The try to crank (use the key if you can, the button was kinda rare, and never really without issues if I remember right)...with short pulse and maybe longer crank you might unstick it...
A wack with a hammer on the starter can sometimes work if you can reach it....
And be 100% sure to re-tourque the plugs...don't want one to get blown out!!

Old 12-18-2014, 05:09 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
sometimes a weak battery can still start another car...but not a mini...
I've fallen victim to this with different cars over the years. A jump start is an easy cheap test before doing other things.

Old 12-19-2014, 01:59 AM
drozd
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
I've fallen victim to this with different cars over the years. A jump start is an easy cheap test before doing other things.
Yes I tried that

[QUOTE=ZippyNH;4024697]
Since the battery cables are so LONG on a r53, sometimes a weak battery can still start another car...but not a mini...
QUOTE]

I have confirmed the engine is locked solid, I'm just hoping somehow the starter motor has jambed up and its not an engine problem

Last edited by drozd; 12-19-2014 at 02:06 AM.
Old 02-18-2015, 01:19 PM
drozd
2nd Gear
I thought I would update the thread, I removed the serpentine belt and quickly discovered the alternator had seized solid, the friction on the belt was strong enough to stop the engine turning, in fact the alternator has self destructed something must have come loose inside then jammed and burst the casting of the alternator open. so replacing that is my next job.

Old 03-17-2015, 11:12 AM
drozd
2nd Gear
Ok replaced the alternator, what a job.... had to take off wheels, liners, under tray, bumper, crush tubes and pull the radiators forward just to to get at it. engine started