Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

To Hibernate or Not??

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 02:23 PM
stormborn
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To Hibernate or Not??

Hey All,
I bought My 5oK mil 2007 MCS Back in march in Tennessee and drove it back up to NY so she's never seen a winter.
Though I really WANT to keep it through winter for when I trek up to my mothers in CT, I don't NEED it really. So my options are
1) I could put her in Mom's garage for the winter and suffer the train. (TORTURE) If so, what do I need to do in prep
2) Garage it outside of the city and still use it the 2 weekends a month I go up there, but this would subject her to snow and salt.
3) Not garage, but store on an outdoor lot, again only using a couple weekends a month

Will it make a huge difference in "aging" if I'm only using for weekend driving?
Little backround, after I bought I her I immediately had to replace the water pump, the valve cover, and I there was an axel seal leak (I think) and they changed the timing chain under warrantee.

Old 10-30-2014, 03:52 AM
ShipM8
4th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
I drive mine all winter, but my wife stores her (non-mini) car. I've found that whenever I have to make a decision that the right answer is the one you don't like...so #1 sounds right for you. Wash & wax it, drip battery charger, gas stabilizer, cover, and tell your insurance company it's stored to receive reduced rates when you're not driving it.

Old 10-30-2014, 03:53 AM
ShipM8
4th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
...and do something nice for your mom for letting you use her garage!

Old 10-30-2014, 04:45 PM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
If it hasn't seen a winter, why start now? If it is going to make you suffer on the train, but is best for the car, then that is the best choice.

My car was driven through several winters before I had it, and the rust monster is present under the car. I continue to drive it all year. If your car is nice, keep it nice.

Have fun,
Mike

Old 10-30-2014, 06:39 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Saving it from sitting outside ONLY makes sense if you want to keep it for a LONG TIME....
it is dropping in value fast....so I would suggest, keep it close by, and use it...
It will age LESS if used, than if it sits unused....sitting is terrible for modern cars...crap dries out, leaks, etc...
I would WAX it...and drive it when the whether is nice. No worries about mice making nests in it, and chewing wires....and you get something in return for having your $$$ tied up....
Spending even more $$ to keep it parked is even crazier IMO...
Having a car and not using it...is...er...criminal...especially if you must ride a train to get to it...
Remember...the TINY increase in value by having it look 100% perfect is not much IMO compared to the joy of motoring.....

Old 10-30-2014, 06:57 PM
xsmini
6th Gear
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Wax it, get some Blizzaks keep it out side and enjoy! These cars do fine in the winter and don't deserve to be locked in garages for months at a time.

Nik

Old 10-30-2014, 08:17 PM
jay80424
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yep, I drive mine all year, and it lives outside. Enjoy driving it, and don't be a slave to the train schedule. It's just a car after all. Mini's are nice, and I love mine, but it's not like its a Bugatti. Get some snows ( hakelipetta 5's are what I run all winter) and enjoy the car.

Old 11-16-2014, 03:37 PM
afadeev
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by stormborn
Hey All,
I bought My 5oK mil 2007 MCS Back in march in Tennessee and drove it back up to NY so she's never seen a winter.
Though I really WANT to keep it through winter for when I trek up to my mothers in CT, I don't NEED it really. So my options are
1) I could put her in Mom's garage for the winter and suffer the train. (TORTURE) If so, what do I need to do in prep
2) Garage it outside of the city and still use it the 2 weekends a month I go up there, but this would subject her to snow and salt.
3) Not garage, but store on an outdoor lot, again only using a couple weekends a month

Will it make a huge difference in "aging" if I'm only using for weekend driving?
Little backround, after I bought I her I immediately had to replace the water pump, the valve cover, and I there was an axel seal leak (I think) and they changed the timing chain under warrantee.
MINIs make great winter cars, and at the current price point for R56 cars, you have a perfect winter beater.

Get a set of snow tires, and have a ball!

Your car did see at least 6 winters in Tennessee, some with snow, so exposing it to another one will have zero marginal impact on cars value or "aging".

a

Old 11-17-2014, 03:35 AM
skuzfoz
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really wouldn't worry about rust. Not only is our frame protected with a coating (according to a video from a MINI factory) but we also have a 12 year rust warranty.