Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

wipers that work

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 09:03 AM
Big John O
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wipers that work

I have not found a set of wipers for my 2006 mini that work. Any idea's

Old 10-17-2014, 09:56 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Big John O
I have not found a set of wipers for my 2006 mini that work. Any idea's
What is you issue?
I have gotten as many as 4 YEARS out of PIAA silicone wipers....great product, 100% coverage.
I just put a set of refills in...if the blades last another 3 or 4 it will be a great deal...lol...4 years out if the refils, 8 for the blades ..heck even though they cost about $35 each ($10 refils) seem much better than the 6 month OEM crap refils....or the mono blades that seem OK for about a year....
P.s.
A 2002-2006 hardtop is a gen1.

Old 10-17-2014, 02:54 PM
dongood
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If your referring to that inch or so section on the right side (passenger side here in the states) were the wiper doesn't touch the window, that's pretty normal and due to the extreme curve of the windshield.

Either deal with it, get a size slightly smaller, or stick with the OE blades.

If it's that your blades don't work, I second the PIAA recommendation. I've been very happy with mine, even though there is a small section on the passenger side that gets missed, should have gone a size smaller...

Old 10-17-2014, 02:57 PM
dongood
4th Gear
I had to read this thread a second time when I saw it was in the classic mini section, but the OP did say a 2006.

Thought I screwed up there with my reply ;-)

Old 10-20-2014, 07:29 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Best ones I have used so far the ones made by/for BMW which use the same J hook style attachment....they are quiet, streak free and work awesome. Set on my MINI is a year old and is a DD.

Old 10-20-2014, 07:32 AM
JABowders
6th Gear
Received 177 Likes on 166 Posts
+1 PIAA
Super Sporza Silicone Wiper Blades 93345 (Driver Side)
Super Sporza Silicone Wiper Blades 93348 (Passenger Side)

It is what I have on all three of mine.

Motor on!

Old 10-20-2014, 07:39 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
Make sure your windshield surface is really clean, you could go over it with a razor blade or polish it with glass polish. If you have a lot of tiny pits in the glass, no polish will help, just get a new windshield. It is not just the wiper blade, it's also the surface it cleans that determines the effectiveness of your wipers.

Dave

Old 10-20-2014, 08:04 AM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
i have bosch wipers, and i make sure i got the contoured, not the 6 pressure point, i also have stock size, daily driver in rain and snow, been on the car for two years and still working great

Old 10-20-2014, 08:04 AM
Kathy1946
5th Gear
If it's that your blades don't work, I second the PIAA recommendation. I've been very happy with mine, even though there is a small section on the passenger side that gets missed, should have gone a size smaller...[/QUOTE]

Am looking to get new wipers also and in the PIAA, what size is it that you recommend for the R50 ?
Thanks

Old 10-20-2014, 09:22 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Kathy1946
If it's that your blades don't work, I second the PIAA recommendation. I've been very happy with mine, even though there is a small section on the passenger side that gets missed, should have gone a size smaller...

Am looking to get new wipers also and in the PIAA, what size is it that you recommend for the R50 ?
Thanks
PIAA makes (maybe made) two different blades, both use the same refill...
The one I use is the "curved" blade, it is made to hug the contour of the glass..the rivits used in the blade gives it some extra flex...
Know outmotoring once sold them, but have only see the standard ones on their site...
The PIAA website did show the wipers on clearance a few months ago...seems everybody is moving to a non-refillilble monoblade...bet it makes the manufactures more $$, since no refils...

Old 10-20-2014, 10:07 AM
Kathy1946
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
The one I use is the "curved" blade, it is made to hug the contour of the glass..the rivits used in the blade gives it some extra flex...
Know outmotoring once sold them, but have only see the standard ones on their site...
The PIAA website did show the wipers on clearance a few months ago...seems everybody is moving to a non-refillilble monoblade...bet it makes the manufactures more $$, since no refils...

Thanks Zippy. I saw the MINI name come up but I'm still not clear on what length to order.

Old 10-20-2014, 10:28 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
I went with the "suggested" length to match the OEM...
Got them on outmotoring (years ago)....
Bought the piaa refills on Amazon (not many places sell the refills, PIAA needs nonstd refills)... They matched...so if PIAA supplies the data on which to buy they appear to be right...
If I remember, you get TWO different ones for a gen1 car...the passenger/driver side are about an inch different if I remember right.

Old 10-20-2014, 10:46 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Blade Curved

Specially engineered to fit aerodynamic windshields found on European and domestic vehicles. PIAA products deliver an upgrade in performance to help you see better in stormy weather. PIAA Wipers have even blade pressure allowing the rubber to maintain its shape, which extends the life of the wiper. This ensures a silent, clean sweep of rain or snow providing you with the visibility you need to be safe.
now they show the curved only in the "clearance section" for $9.00
they still sell the regular PIAA wiper...
http://www.piaa.com/store/c/84-Wiper-Blades.aspx

n 1905, the spring-loaded wiper arm was patented. In 1913 it was replaced by a mechanical arm. Since then, the windshield wiper blade has pretty much remained the same...until now.

PIAA now offers a new clarity of vision in their silicone wiper blades. From the initial design process to extensive laboratory testing under the harshest conditions, this revolutionary windshield wiper blade outperforms every other blade currently on the market.

PIAA's Super Silicone Wiper Blades are designed to be the wiper of choice for many vehicles. Its revolutionary silicone insert means cleaner windshields and greater visibility.

The wiper insert of all PIAA wiper blades is made of silicone rubber, which ensures greater visibility by coating the windshield with silicone to promote continuous water beading in inclement weather. Water beads up into droplets at low speeds that are easily removed by ordinary wiping. And at higher speeds, wind pressure pushes the water off the windshield, often without even requiring wiper use. The silicone coating also reduces drag and eliminates annoying and inefficient chattering, regardless of the shape of the windshield to provide greater comfort for both driver and passenger. And the best part: PIAA Super Silicone Wiper Blades reapply the silicone coating every time the wipers are used.

PIAA wiper blades maintain a sharp, clean edge and offer better resistance to all climates (heat, ozone, ultra-violet) -- clearly out performing the industry standard rubber blade with their durability, as well.

That's what PIAA Super Silicone Wiper Blades can do for you. They are so advanced it may be another century before windshield wiper blades improve again.
out motoring has them for gen1 cars....
PIAA's super silicone wiper blades have proven to be among the best wipers blades on the market and are excellent at what they do. If your MINI Cooper needs new wiper blades, these make an excellent choice.

The wiper insert of all PIAA wiper blades is made of silicone rubber, which ensures greater visibility by coating the windshield with silicone to promote continuous water beading in inclement weather. Water beads up into droplets at low speeds that are easily removed by ordinary wiping. And at higher speeds, wind pressure pushes the water off the windshield, often without even requiring wiper use. The silicone coating also reduces drag and eliminates annoying and inefficient chattering, regardless of the shape of the windshield to provide greater comfort for both driver and passenger. And the best part is that PIAA Super Silicone Wiper Blades reapply the silicone coating every time the wipers are used.

PIAA wiper blades maintain a sharp, clean edge and offer better resistance to all climates - heat, ozone, ultra-violet, and wear - clearly out performing the industry standard.

Sold as a matching front set of both passenger (19") and driver (18") and are complete replacements for the stock wiper blades. There is not a PIAA replacement wiper for the rear. Please note that there is NOT a 'wind deflector' on the PIAA drivers side wiper like the OEM wipers.

Fit these MINI models:
Gen1 MINI:
R50: 2002-2006 Hatchback: Cooper
R52: 2004-2008 Convertible: Cooper and Cooper S
R53: 2002-2006 Hatchback: Cooper S

Gen2 MINI:
R55: 2008- 07/2012 Clubman: Cooper and Cooper S
R56: 2007- 07/2012 Hatchback: Cooper and Cooper S
R57: 2009- 07/2012 Convertible: Cooper and Cooper S

IMPORTANT: These wipers will NOT fit any 07/2012 or newer MINI model. We do offer the factory replacement wiper listed on our site.
http://www.outmotoring.com/mini-coop...ni_cooper.html

Last edited by ZippyNH; 10-20-2014 at 04:20 PM. Reason: made size in BOLD
Old 10-20-2014, 03:32 PM
dongood
4th Gear
Gen 1 uses 18" on the left 19" on the right. It's the right where you begin to lose contact with the windshield when the blade is at rest. If I were to do it again I would get 18 for the right as well.

I was not aware that PIAA made two different types. I'm picking up one of those 18" curved blades for $9.00. Looks the same, but hopefully it will work better.

Edit: Shipping was steep, Amazon has them for $18.00, with free 2 day shipping for Prime members.

Last edited by dongood; 10-20-2014 at 03:41 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:22 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Originally Posted by dongood
Gen 1 uses 18" on the left 19" on the right. It's the right where you begin to lose contact with the windshield when the blade is at rest. If I were to do it again I would get 18 for the right as well.

I was not aware that PIAA made two different types. I'm picking up one of those 18" curved blades for $9.00. Looks the same, but hopefully it will work better.

Edit: Shipping was steep, Amazon has them for $18.00, with free 2 day shipping for Prime members.
The curved fits BEAUTIFULLY!! If you can get them, it is THE WAY to go!!
Regular PIAA refills work with the curved...

Old 11-30-2014, 09:23 AM
MMM
2nd Gear

Did you use the curved blade just on the passenger side or on both sides?

Old 11-30-2014, 10:00 AM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Saltysalt
i have bosch wipers, and i make sure i got the contoured, not the 6 pressure point, i also have stock size, daily driver in rain and snow, been on the car for two years and still working great
Just my two cents, I picked up the Bosch Evolution (Revolution?) two weeks ago and I absolutely can't stand them. I cleaned the windshield with Invisible Glass, but they stutter and squeak at low speed even in heavy rain, and are incredibly streaky. I have to run the wipers at high speed to get smooth movement and it still leaves streaks and smears. I'm going to try the PIAA next, I hope they're better. The Bosch for me were basically $50 into the trash.

Old 11-30-2014, 10:06 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
I've used the PIAA blades for years and can't recommend them enough as they last so long and work the best.
http://www.waymotorworks.com/piaa-wi...-for-mini.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 11-30-2014, 10:49 AM
cristo
Alliance Member
Received 203 Likes on 167 Posts
What is you issue?
I have gotten as many as 4 YEARS out of PIAA silicone wipers....great product, 100% coverage.
I just put a set of refills in...if the blades last another 3 or 4 it will be a great deal...lol...4 years out if the refils, 8 for the blades ..heck even though they cost about $35 each ($10 refils) seem much better than the 6 month OEM crap refils....or the mono blades that seem OK for about a year....
P.s.
A 2002-2006 hardtop is a gen1.
If your referring to that inch or so section on the right side (passenger side here in the states) were the wiper doesn't touch the window, that's pretty normal and due to the extreme curve of the windshield.

Either deal with it, get a size slightly smaller, or stick with the OE blades.

Originally Posted by JABowders
+1 PIAA
Super Sporza Silicone Wiper Blades 93345 (Driver Side)
Super Sporza Silicone Wiper Blades 93348 (Passenger Side)

It is what I have on all three of mine.

Motor on!
Originally Posted by Kathy1946

Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
I've used the PIAA blades for years and can't recommend them enough as they last so long and work the best.
http://www.waymotorworks.com/piaa-wi...-for-mini.html
+1 on the PIAA blades and refills - 18 straight on drivers side and 18 curved on passenger side for me.

Old 12-02-2014, 12:07 PM
ashchuckton
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Bosch Ikon blades for me. I've been using them for 5 years or so. They work very well for me.