Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Replaced Bowden cable, driver door is now stuck shut. HELP!

Old 09-09-2014, 10:33 AM
coryshap
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replaced Bowden cable, driver door is now stuck shut. HELP!

I am posting this from the inside of my car (half kidding, I can still use the passenger door) and need some help.

The driver's side bowden cable on my '03 r53 MCS snapped. No biggie, I popped the door panel off and managed to replace the cable by touch without having to remove the latch actuator assembly from the door. While I can hear (and feel) the cable moving the hook on the actuator assembly, I noticed that the electronic locking and unlocking (key button, toggle, turning key in lock) does not power lock/unlock the door anymore. in my infinite wisdom I shut the door and it is now stuck closed.

the door panel is off so I can see and feel around inside and from what it looks, feels, and sounds like, the bowden cable components of the assembly are working properly. Turning the key in the door lock will power lock/unlock everything but the driver's door the key is actually in. The latch on the door seems stuck and I have run out of ideas on how to fiddle with it. From what it looks and feels like, I can mechanically operate the inside door handle to first pull "unlock" and second pull "open" however the door is still stuck latched on. I don't hear any electronic locking/unlocking from the driver's door like I do from the rest of the locks in the car.

I am in need of advice. at the moment I am trying to remove the lock from the door but I can't seem to figure out how to take the exterior door handle off.

Help!

Old 11-01-2014, 05:26 AM
jstathus87
1st Gear
Did you have any luck with the door? My door will not open as well at the moment. Happend about 15 minutes ago when I got home. Was working fine all night and then when I parked it, it would not open. I had to climb out the window because of tight parking my passanger door can not be opened when parked at home. My lock works, the little **** goes up and down when I unlock and lock the car but it won't actually open. When the car is locked and I pull the handle it unlocks the door but the second pull wont open the door. It feels like there is no ressistance when I pull the the second time.

Old 11-06-2014, 02:58 PM
PeterWMC
Neutral
I locked myself in with what appeared for no apparent cause. Turned out my raincoat was stuck in the door and confusing the sensor. Sensor thought door was open so lock would not function when in fact door was closed and latched. Pulled my raincoat out and it opened fine. Duh!

Old 11-08-2014, 07:11 AM
jstathus87
1st Gear
Nice, mine was not really a problem either. Turned out the door handle on the outside was partially pressed when the door shut so it wouldn't let me open it from the inside. After I climbed out the window, I came back out to the car and realized that it was just the door handle and was able to wiggle it back to the starting postition and the door would open again. Just glad it wasn't something that required me to throw money at to fix.