Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Rear hatch button disintegration

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 08:28 AM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rear hatch button disintegration

I'll probably follow up with ECS Tuning or some others directly, but wanted to post out in the forum first in hopes this may help someone else. Who knows, maybe someone else has run into this issue.

I guess this is an issue with a high mileage MINI?

Just above the license plate is the "handle" for the rear hatch. I say "handle" as it is really just a small piece of rubber that you push on to open the hatch.

I noticed the piece of rubber on mine had started to split apart. It got so bad that one day when I went to open the hatch, my fingers just pushed on through to the interior of the "handle". This resulted in things getting jumbled up in there and at least one piece of plastic fell out.

I'm assuming I need to replace the whole unit that is up under there (includes the license plate lights). But I cannot figure out or find the part numbers and whether I can buy just the "handle" part or the entire unit.

I did check on realoem.com, but not know the proper name for the part has stymied by search efforts.

Hope someone can help point me in the right direction. And if there is anyone out there that has replaced those parts, maybe they could let me know how involved it is (I'm assuming it is just a matter of removal and then reconnecting some electrical connectors and re-assemble, but assuming anything with the MINI can be hazardous).

TIA!

Old 09-08-2014, 03:44 PM
EMKFLYER
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello, I had the same issue with my 2008 Cooper. It was a 5 minute replacement. If I recall, it was 4 screws that held the piece to the car, and 1 plug-in connection. Very simple and easy.

I couldn't find just the rubber button. I replaced the whole piece. Here is what I ordered.....#5 Trunk Lid Grip, Chrome:

http://parts.miniofsouthatlanta.com/...category=19822

Hope this helps
Ed

Old 09-08-2014, 04:16 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Removing the boot handle is a 5:minute job...one or two electrical plugs...maybe 4 torix headed bolts if I recall right....pretty sure the design (but not the part) is the same as older cars...
Tip...do not let the hatch shut...put something in the way so if you drop it...it does not close or you will be doing the fix bent over....
You can get the hatch handle in primer to paint or chrome....
Be sure to replaced the foam gasket behind the handle...think it comes with a new one...

Old 09-08-2014, 04:39 PM
Michael Cutler
1st Gear
Yep, 5 minute job.

My wife likes the handles chrome, so right now I have three extras. One in Sparkling Silver, one in Horizon Blue, and one in Pepper White in boxes the basement

I thought you could order them in the correct color from the dealer??

Maybe just a poor assumption on my part.

Last edited by Michael Cutler; 09-08-2014 at 04:46 PM.
Old 09-08-2014, 08:30 PM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Thanks for all the responses.

Just wish it didn't involve having to replace the entire handle, including getting it painted. Maybe I can figure out some DIY solution once I get the handle off.

Old 09-09-2014, 05:36 AM
RockAZ
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jcauseyfd
Thanks for all the responses.

Just wish it didn't involve having to replace the entire handle, including getting it painted. Maybe I can figure out some DIY solution once I get the handle off.
I looked at a dozen different ways to replace just the rubber bit, but once the microswitch is exposed, TWO plastic parts will fall out. It bothers me greatly that the whole handle has to be replaced but I really don't see any other way without pitching the whole switch with its condom thin rubber cover and putting in something else more weather resistant.

Old 09-16-2014, 05:25 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
Here is the DIY for the R56+ for the handle, if you have painted or something else, so you can swap the outside cover.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...rking-diy.html

Thanks

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 09-17-2014, 09:06 PM
ammodave
5th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Surely, with a little ingenuity you could just replace the switch with an aftermarket push button switch.

Old 09-18-2014, 06:15 AM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ammodave
Surely, with a little ingenuity you could just replace the switch with an aftermarket push button switch.
I'm hopeful I can figure something out. I don't think any parts need to be replaced other than the rubber membrane. I can feel some pieces are loose up in there and I have the one piece that fell out. The switch itself still works - if I poke around long enough I can hit and it will pop the hatch. So mainly a matter of figuring out how to get it apart then put back together as it should be.

Old 09-18-2014, 08:28 AM
ammodave
5th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
I'm pulling for you; no need to replace a $100 part when the real problem is a faulty $1 switch.