Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

cooling fan replacement; IDIOT ALERT!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 03:57 PM
Corvairdave
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cooling fan replacement; IDIOT ALERT!!

Replacing your cooling fan? Don't do this! I inserted the wrong length bolt into the flange that holds the tranny cooler to the radiator, tightened it up and POKED A HOLE IN THE RAD! It was the bolt for the rad fan connector to body. Would have been better to send it to the shop. Oh, Well. Now I'm looking for a creative fix for the hole.

Old 06-15-2014, 04:08 PM
ZIPPY "S"
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ouch!! Sorry to hear your luck! But the best thing to do now is just buy a new radiator. It would probably be your best bet at this point. You could try and patch up the hole but im not a fan of doing that.. Maybe someone else can chime in on a patch for your hole.. good luck!

Old 06-18-2014, 01:41 PM
jarero
Neutral
Originally Posted by Corvairdave
Replacing your cooling fan? Don't do this! I inserted the wrong length bolt into the flange that holds the tranny cooler to the radiator, tightened it up and POKED A HOLE IN THE RAD! It was the bolt for the rad fan connector to body. Would have been better to send it to the shop. Oh, Well. Now I'm looking for a creative fix for the hole.
Well it's obvious what the problem is, based on your username, that you aren't familiar with radiators in general !

Just kidding, I had to say it! All joking aside that is a real bummer and I hope you get it fixed/replaced without any more issues.

Old 06-18-2014, 02:24 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Hope you got it fixed...
But only a $100 fix if you looked around....rockauto.com has exact fit copies of the OEM...same ones you would get at auto zone, etc...just MUCH cheaper....
Next time go slow....lol...ratchets can be better than power tools cause they give the home mechanic time to look for mistakes!!
Look at it this way....you needed to change the coolant anyway...and the radiator was old!! Sucks...but there is a bright side!!

Old 06-18-2014, 06:52 PM
Corvairdave
1st Gear
Originally Posted by jarero
Well it's obvious what the problem is, based on your username, that you aren't familiar with radiators in general !

Just kidding, I had to say it! All joking aside that is a real bummer and I hope you get it fixed/replaced without any more issues.
Ha! Good one! I can't even use that as an excuse; My Corvair is a waterpumper!

Old 06-18-2014, 06:56 PM
Corvairdave
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
Hope you got it fixed...
But only a $100 fix if you looked around....rockauto.com has exact fit copies of the OEM...same ones you would get at auto zone, etc...just MUCH cheaper....
Next time go slow....lol...ratchets can be better than power tools cause they give the home mechanic time to look for mistakes!!
Look at it this way....you needed to change the coolant anyway...and the radiator was old!! Sucks...but there is a bright side!!
I like the glass half full attitude! My FLAPS had a rad at $170 and time was of the essence. (It's my daughters' car!) Cheers, Dave

Old 08-22-2014, 06:15 AM
HyTech
2nd Gear
After a friend drilled a hole in his radiator when installing driving lights on his pick up I fixed the hole with JB weld. He drove it for five more years before he sold it.