Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

TPMS Inactive after summer wheel back on

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 08:38 AM
cbordian
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TPMS Inactive after summer wheel back on

Had my summer wheels put back on at a chain muffler place, and now the tire pressure sensing system won't reset and, in fact, says that it's Inactive. My main question is whether the garage might be responsible and, if so, how could they have damaged it so I can tell them what to look for? Or what can I check myself?

The winter wheels don't have the transmitters, so I can't say that the TPMS was working immediately before the wheel swap.

The nearest dealer is two hours away and the check engine light came on a day or two later (unrelated) so I took it the local expensive place that seems to get the most mini action. They fixed the check engine and looked at the TPMS while they were at it. They said that the sensors were transmitting, and may there was an issue with the antenna, and basically washed their hands of it.

Just to be clear, it doesn't just need resetting - sometimes it looks like it does, but then it gives up and says 'Inactive'.

I hate the 'emergency' gong going off almost every time I drive my car. I know it's a small thing but I don't need my car to be scaring me, even though it's only a microsecond before I realize that it's nothing it's just annoying. I'd be happy without a functioning TPMS if I could get rid of the audible alarm. All that said, I'm not going to spend hundreds of dollars just to get rid of it!

Thanks for any help.

Old 04-23-2014, 11:39 AM
Kevdog
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It looks like you need to find someone with a working NCSExpert install.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...6-post291.html

I haven't tried it, but the line does exist in my KOMBI.

Old 04-24-2014, 06:24 PM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
I had the same thing on my winter wheels. I put my summers back on, and still have an intermittent problem. When I asked the dealer's opinion, they said that they would first verify if the sensors are transmitting (sounds like yours are) and then look for broken or corroded wires.

NCS expert can eliminate the TPMS, if that is what you want.

Mike