Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Recall Notice: Turbo Heat Shield (Oil Feed Line)

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 02:27 PM
sdj544
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Systemlord
Get one of these and your hood scoop will barely get warm.
Had one of those installed after my chrome hood scoop started peeling around 25K. Just had the dealer replace the replacement hood scoop just
before warranty expired at 50K. Don't think they help that much. I may try opening up the scoop so it actually breathes.
They just replaced my turbo and when they did they did the new heat shield recall. Maybe that will help keep it cool?

-Steve

Old 05-21-2014, 05:02 PM
Redhotz
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Has anybody considered installing a small computer type box fan to help cool down the turbo when the engine is turned off? Maybe set up with a 5-10 minuet timer.

Old 05-22-2014, 01:13 AM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by sdj544
Had one of those installed after my chrome hood scoop started peeling around 25K. Just had the dealer replace the replacement hood scoop just
before warranty expired at 50K. Don't think they help that much. I may try opening up the scoop so it actually breathes.
They just replaced my turbo and when they did they did the new heat shield recall. Maybe that will help keep it cool?

-Steve
I can assure everybody that those looking to keep 95% of the heat off your hood scoop won't even be warm with one of those heat shield installed under the underside of the hood, you can quote me on this! My old hood scoop get way hotter than my metal hood and warped badly. Now that I have replaced my hood scoop with a newly paint one it's cool to the touch after long driving in sunny weather.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:02 AM
tilted
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Out of curiousity, has anyone heard of being reimbursed for a oil line replacement?

I had a 2008 MCS that I sold a couple months ago that I had to do this repair on as the lines were leaking oil and obviously wasn't covered by the Mini Next warranty. Getting anything back from the dealership would be awesome... as unlikely as that may be.

Old 06-05-2014, 11:35 AM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Originally Posted by tilted
Out of curiousity, has anyone heard of being reimbursed for a oil line replacement?

I had a 2008 MCS that I sold a couple months ago that I had to do this repair on as the lines were leaking oil and obviously wasn't covered by the Mini Next warranty. Getting anything back from the dealership would be awesome... as unlikely as that may be.
I have never heard of anybody receiving reimbursement for the oil feed line to the turbo, but Mini leaves themselves open because if it's not a defect why did they recall for a heat shield, that's proof enough for small claims. Judge Judy anyone?

Old 06-05-2014, 11:42 AM
tilted
1st Gear
Well I'm going to give them a call in the next couple of days and see what they say. If they say no... I'm still out the money, but at least I'll have piece of mind. I'll post what they have to say to me regardless.

Old 08-08-2014, 11:26 AM
tilted
1st Gear
After fighting with Mini Canada I still haven't got much further.

They know its a service campaign and they are unwilling to do much for their customers about it. Talked to two dealerships, called customer support and still nothing. Apparently, if you post stuff on Twitter, they'll respond to you as well. Tried that and a Manager from Mini Canada called me just to tell me there's nothing that can be done until a recall has been created.

Coincidentally, when I had my car repaired last year, I notified Transportation Canada (Regulates automotive recalls in Canada) since it's very obviously a safety concern and design flaw. I manged to get the parts back from the dealership and sent it to them so they can use it in their investigation. I'm going to get in contact with the guy who I spoke to when I got it done and go from there.

Small claims? Possibly. I have a couple of friends who are lawyers so I'll see what they have to say about it. Some of the guys I know would do it for a case of beer, so it may be worth while.

Old 07-29-2015, 06:12 PM
fastzombie
4th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
Do the turbo oil lines on the 2012 R56s leak over time as well? Or has the issue been corrected?

Thanks.

Old 07-31-2015, 02:36 AM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Originally Posted by fastzombie
Do the turbo oil lines on the 2012 R56s leak over time as well? Or has the issue been corrected?

Thanks.
They all do at some point, issue corrected be replacing turbo oil feed line.

Old 08-25-2015, 05:18 AM
coachvminis
4th Gear
Ok This morning and last two mornings I see a Green dense oil on my garage floor..
I went under this mini and I see on the passenger side under the air box oil lines leading to an electrical pump. Is this the Turbo coolant pump? Strange greenish dense oil something I have not seen before in any turbo car I have ever owned.
I hear a Buzz when I turn the mini off in that same area. but I don't an do not hear while running only when I turn it off. It like whines down. Power steering pump maybe? But power steering fluid is pink if I'm not mistaken. Correct me if I'm wrong. I have 77,000 miles so any help would be appreciated. PITA! one thing after another.

Old 08-25-2015, 05:31 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
Originally Posted by coachvminis
Ok This morning and last two mornings I see a Green dense oil on my garage floor..
I went under this mini and I see on the passenger side under the air box oil lines leading to an electrical pump. Is this the Turbo coolant pump? Strange greenish dense oil something I have not seen before in any turbo car I have ever owned.
I hear a Buzz when I turn the mini off in that same area. but I don't an do not hear while running only when I turn it off. It like whines down. Power steering pump maybe? But power steering fluid is pink if I'm not mistaken. Correct me if I'm wrong. I have 77,000 miles so any help would be appreciated. PITA! one thing after another.

The power steering on the R56+ MINI is a closed system. Do you have any pics of the fluid under the air box or the leak location ?

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 08-25-2015, 06:19 AM
coachvminis
4th Gear
I will take pic's tonight, tuff area to get a pic of..but from my research it looks as though it is the turbo coolant pump..MINI USA Warranty this? would be nice...

Old 08-25-2015, 06:26 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
The turbo aux water pump was recalled about 1 1/2 - 2 years ago. to the updated part 11537630368 , call MINI dealership and see if yours was done and updated.
, it sets up near the front of the transmission on the driver side and when working its makes a buzz noise after shut down and then shuts off after a minute or two. Does not run long all the time. When its does , there is most likely a coolant leak elsewhere.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ound-like.html

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...8-no-heat.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 08-26-2015, 08:40 AM
timfitz63
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by coachvminis
... But power steering fluid is pink if I'm not mistaken. Correct me if I'm wrong...
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
The power steering on the R56+ MINI is a closed system...
I believe this generation of the MINI has electrical power steering (i.e., it's not fluid-based); so that would eliminate power steering fluid as a source...

Old 08-26-2015, 09:10 AM
coachvminis
4th Gear
Ha! too funny...yep not power steering can tell I'm old school...
But it is the aux pump failing..So here we go again replacing another recalled part that has failed within 35,000 miles..I called the local stealership this vehicle has had the procedure done on this particular part two yrs ago so I'm one yr past that mark 2012-2014..past warranty..two year warranty on parts recalled by USA Mini as per the young lady from USA Mini. Too funny she owns a Toyota..lol had too laugh...
It seems as though all the same parts on everyone's R56 are failing..Hmm!!
This shall be my last repair I'm off to Auto Buy and picking up a Kia 10yr 100,000 mile warranty...