Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Catalytic converter problem on a 04' Cooper S

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 01:54 PM
jonp
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Catalytic converter problem on a 04' Cooper S

My 04' Cooper S has 94816 miles on it and it has developed a leak on the front side of the catalytic converter it is a small leak, but as it heats up it get louder like the leak is getting bigger when hot. Back in 08' my expansion joint came a part and had to replace the manifold/catalytic converter unit at 56984 under warranty. I have called the dealer and they told me that the warranty on the replacement parts where only good for two years. My question is has anyone else had this problem and if so what did you do to fix it

Jon

Old 10-14-2013, 05:48 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
Yes OEM parts only have a 2 yr warranty after they are replaced.
This is a good time to upgrade to one of our headers which will give you a little power bump too.
http://www.waymotorworks.com/flashpo...eader-cat.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 10-18-2013, 10:36 AM
CooperSAZ
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
You are speaking my language! JUST had this happen to my '05 MCS at 89k miles.

My OEM header split into two recently. UPS should be dropping off my Milltek unit today as a matter of fact. Install will be tomorrow for me so I can get back on the road. Amazes me how MINI never built in a flex joint since they welded the CAT onto the manifold.

I will be taking photos and documenting the process if you are interested in following. I've received requests as well to video the sound after the install since people are interested in the Milltek header/exhaust combo.

$1,100 later... (wife not happy)

Name:  DSC04192adj_zps53a0be17.jpg
Views: 1229
Size:  182.0 KB

Name:  DSC04191adj_zps9752a8e7.jpg
Views: 1212
Size:  172.1 KB

Old 10-18-2013, 11:04 AM
Swimbaxter
4th Gear
I ended up going down this road and have happy with the sound and the performance:

OBX Header
Random Technology Cat

I also have a Vibratechnics Upper Motor Mount and Powerflex Bushings on the lower mount and transmission. I say these things because this combination (or similar) significantly reduce the movement of the engine and transmission reducing the stress placed on the flex pipe or flex joint.

You could probably do all the above for under $800 if you were so inclined. Once it has broken in the VT mount does not raise vibration to an unacceptable level for me (or my wife haha). But it is more NVH than stock.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:04 AM
jonp
1st Gear
Yes, I would like to see pictures, documentation and videos of your process.
I'm thinking very seriously getting the Flashpoint Mk1 R53 Mini Manifold Header Cat from Waymotorworks. I have some question in to them now about the header and if they have all the replacement parts and etc. to replace my header.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:24 AM
CooperSAZ
5th Gear
Ok, will do.

Below is a pic I modified to help with my install and as a point of reference. Maybe it will help:

Name:  MCSManifoldDiagram_zpse834b394.jpg
Views: 2619
Size:  91.9 KB

I thought about piecing a replacement unit together but declined as there are a few threads stating that there is a random check engine light coming on. Typically attributable to the CAT. Since I have the Milltek catback on, I researched the header and found nothing but good things about it so I am hoping for the best. One guy I read up on has passed 100k miles on his Milltek with no issue. So...

I like the idea of the mounts though to help reduce the amount of movement/torque the motor creates. That HAS to help with longevity.

Old 10-18-2013, 12:21 PM
jonp
1st Gear
I agree with the upper mount, I've went through 2 OEM upper mounts, before I put this on TSW Engine Mount 04-06 R50/R53 . It sure made a big difference to the positive side and I really like it.

Old 10-18-2013, 01:45 PM
CooperSAZ
5th Gear
Interesting description and feedback on the mount. Looks to accomplish what it is intended to do, but there is a concern with vibration. How much is alot? I guess that is dependent on the owner/driver.

Old 10-18-2013, 03:09 PM
jonp
1st Gear
I really do not notice much vibration, I have had in on the car over two years now. I have autocross it and done a lot of track days with no problems,

Old 10-19-2013, 03:59 PM
CooperSAZ
5th Gear
Hi Jon,

Just following up. Spent about 2 hours this morning removing and installing the new Milltek header. All went according to plan. Pretty easy and straightforward process. Car runs like a champ now. Meaty, bass-y tone coming from the enginebay above 3500rpms and at WOT. Residential driving is the same, nice and quiet and everyone around is none the wiser.

I will try to post something up on my thread in the event you want to follow along IF that the route you wish to take. Avoids me posting in two places...

I did a step by step with a decent amount of pics. I will try and get to it tomorrow if all goes well. I need to set some time aside for the video. Hope that helps.

Old 10-19-2013, 05:15 PM
Swimbaxter
4th Gear
Originally Posted by CooperSAZ
Interesting description and feedback on the mount. Looks to accomplish what it is intended to do, but there is a concern with vibration. How much is alot? I guess that is dependent on the owner/driver.
I believe that the vibratechnics mount is a more evolved mount than the TSW. The VT mount uses natural rubber which reduces the NVH a bit more plus it looks awesome. That's my 2cents.

Old 10-19-2013, 06:06 PM
CooperSAZ
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Swimbaxter
I believe that the vibratechnics mount is a more evolved mount than the TSW. The VT mount uses natural rubber which reduces the NVH a bit more plus it looks awesome. That's my 2cents.

Good info! Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

Old 10-19-2013, 08:19 PM
chuckt
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine's a '06 w/100K miles, same crack at the pre-cat. I have had an OBX header and Magnaflow Cat for several years but never installed them.

I put them on a couple weeks ago and just got a leak at the OBX/CAT connection solved today.

The exhaust is noticeably louder than w/Mag cat-bak only, but I think it actually sounds better. No codes over the two week as DD even with the leak... crossing fingers that it stays that way.

Old 10-20-2013, 08:58 AM
CooperSAZ
5th Gear
I complete the little write up here: THREAD LINK - POST #8

Name:  DSC04222a_zpsf7751c89.jpg
Views: 2357
Size:  187.4 KB

Name:  DSC04223a_zps207cd31c.jpg
Views: 1113
Size:  155.8 KB

Old 10-29-2013, 04:19 AM
jonp
1st Gear
Went to MITO last weekend and talk with Dustin from Auto X Cooper about what I should to do with my problem and he recommended the Megan M2 header for my car, so when I got home Sunday night I ordered it and it is estimated to be here Thursday.

I made it to MITO in person, but my Mini didn't I got about half way and the mini got stuck it 6th gear, I can get it to neutral, but it will only shift to 6th gear. I also talked to Dustin about that too and he thinks that the clips on the shifter cable on top of the transmission either came loose or broke, so I have to investigate that also.

Old 10-29-2013, 04:01 PM
JRhea
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I took mine to an exhaust shop and had it TIG welded for $65. That was 4 years and 70k miles ago. I think it's going to hold.

Good luck

Old 10-29-2013, 07:20 PM
vietnameeh
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jonp
Went to MITO last weekend and talk with Dustin from Auto X Cooper about what I should to do with my problem and he recommended the Megan M2 header for my car, so when I got home Sunday night I ordered it and it is estimated to be here Thursday.

I made it to MITO in person, but my Mini didn't I got about half way and the mini got stuck it 6th gear, I can get it to neutral, but it will only shift to 6th gear. I also talked to Dustin about that too and he thinks that the clips on the shifter cable on top of the transmission either came loose or broke, so I have to investigate that also.
please report back on this interested in this

Old 11-09-2013, 03:51 PM
jonp
1st Gear
Just to let you all know I got my Megan header and it is ready to go in, but I ran into another problem with my car which I have another thread going on it, my transmission is stuck in 6th gear.

I have the old header out now, but I'm working on the shift linkage problem now and will put the new header in when I get the shift problem fix and I'll let you all know how things comes out then.

Last edited by jonp; 04-14-2014 at 09:19 PM.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:52 PM
jonp
1st Gear
Ok, I got everything back together with the megan header install, had to take in to a shop to get it put in because I didn't have the resource to lower the sub frame to get header in on my own. But it sounds good and gives a little more power i think(if it is not all in my head).

Also got my transmission fix too.

I'm going to get the old header weld where it is leaking around cat. and have it if needed at a later date, hopefully I won't need it.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:32 AM
CooperSAZ
5th Gear
Ok, I got everything back together with the megan header install, had to take in to a shop to get it put in because I didn't have the resource to lower the sub frame to get header in on my own. But it sounds good and gives a little more power i think(if it is not all in my head).

Also got my transmission fix too.

I'm going to get the old header weld where it is leaking around cat. and have it if needed at a later date, hopefully I won't need it.
Excellent news! Oh no, you couldn't sneak the header into position?

How come your transmission was stuck in 6th gear?

Glad to hear you are back on the road again!

Old 04-14-2014, 09:22 PM
jonp
1st Gear
Originally Posted by CooperSAZ
Excellent news! Oh no, you couldn't sneak the header into position? How come your transmission was stuck in 6th gear? Glad to hear you are back on the road again!
The inner shifter fork broke in half and got into my 5th and 6th gear and messed them up.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:46 AM
CooperSAZ
5th Gear
The inner shifter fork broke in half and got into my 5th and 6th gear and messed them up.
Oh my... that does not sound like much fun.