Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Exhaust manifold oil leaking possibly and few others problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 12:08 PM
themarques
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust manifold oil leaking possibly and few others problems

So about two months ago I did the replacement of the turbo oil line and also closed off the pcv. I noticed the oil consumption was still high but just figured it was due to the pcv delete.

Today I decide to check on the turbo oil line thats behind the heat shield. Now there was a lot of oil in there as I have been going through a quart every month.

I then noticed that there was quite a bit of oil by the exhaust manifold that probably is in line with cylinder 4, I then decided to check the bolts and they were loose and yup i've been having a load of issues with the car that I can not figure out as yet. The oil could also have been from when the top of the oil line was leaking before I changed it, but I cant say for certain.

Secondly i've been having the CC-ID 029 which causes the half engine power to start up and then when the car finally warms up after some spirited driving does it clear and then I get full engine power.

I have read that there is a possibility this is the high pressure fuel pump related but as I am far from a dealership I will have to wait till I get to one. As soon as I switch the engine off and leave it for a couple of minutes I am back to half power. I am at worlds end with this car now.

Do you think the pcv delete could have damaged any seals? What are the symptoms of a loose exhaust manifold?

I dont see any oil in the coolant and water in the oil.

I did notice a puff of white smoke a few days ago when driving under high acceleration. :

Should I stip the exhaust manifold any check for anything in particular or should I get someone to run a compression test

Thanks guys.

Old 10-07-2013, 01:26 PM
themarques
2nd Gear
Just going through some other forums, it seems some people have had a similar problem in that the exhaust manifold stud was not seated properly and loose and caused the oil to leak from the head?? would that be a similar design with the prince engine? r56 2007

Old 10-08-2013, 12:12 PM
themarques
2nd Gear
Just had a nice big puff of white smoke after pulling into the driveway, it doesnt rain but pours I guess.

Old 10-08-2013, 04:36 PM
v10climber
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
There would be no reason for oil to be coming out your exhaust manifold at the head. There isn't anything there for oil to leak out of. Exhaust gas doesn't have oil in it. It's possible that your valvecover gasket is leaking in that location. That could have been caused by your PCV delete. How exactly did you go about deleting your PCV? That's probably causing all your issues.

Old 10-08-2013, 04:50 PM
themarques
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by v10climber
There would be no reason for oil to be coming out your exhaust manifold at the head. There isn't anything there for oil to leak out of. Exhaust gas doesn't have oil in it. It's possible that your valvecover gasket is leaking in that location. That could have been caused by your PCV delete. How exactly did you go about deleting your PCV? That's probably causing all your issues.
The PCV delete was done using the two Peugeot plugs, I inspected the valve cover and it seemed like it was doing its job sealing fine.

On inspecting the side of the turbo that connects to the exhaust it was bone dry no oil present, bu the other side of the turbo seems to get a bit of oil, im not sure if thats normal or not.

I am going to remove the pcv delete tomorrow and see how it goes and if that white smokes returns, but I am guessing I need to have a leak down or pressure test done asap.

Old 10-09-2013, 04:46 AM
v10climber
6th Gear
Originally Posted by themarques
The PCV delete was done using the two Peugeot plugs, I inspected the valve cover and it seemed like it was doing its job sealing fine.

On inspecting the side of the turbo that connects to the exhaust it was bone dry no oil present, bu the other side of the turbo seems to get a bit of oil, im not sure if thats normal or not.

I am going to remove the pcv delete tomorrow and see how it goes and if that white smokes returns, but I am guessing I need to have a leak down or pressure test done asap.
So you just plugged the two PCV ports? The one on the back passenger side and the one on the front? You can't just plug the PCV system. The engine has to have a way to vent positive crankcase pressure. With the PCV valves plugged the pressure is going to find a way out somewhere. If you're lucky it's not things like turbo seals or crank seals. If you want to see what I'm talking about remove the oil fill cap and start the car. Watch the huge amount of air coming out of the oil fill cap. Just be careful becasuse you'll probably get some oil mist too That's what you're keeping bottled up inside the engine. That air needs a way out somehow.

Oil on the inlet of the turbo isn't hugely uncommon since the front PCV valve vents oily vapor into the intake pipe pre-turbo any time the manifold is seeing positive pressure (boost). Since you plugged the front PCV valve you could clean out the intake tube and you wouldn't see any oil return. If you did see oil the only possible place it could be from would be the journal bearings in the turbo.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:41 AM
themarques
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by v10climber
So you just plugged the two PCV ports? The one on the back passenger side and the one on the front? You can't just plug the PCV system. The engine has to have a way to vent positive crankcase pressure. With the PCV valves plugged the pressure is going to find a way out somewhere. If you're lucky it's not things like turbo seals or crank seals. If you want to see what I'm talking about remove the oil fill cap and start the car. Watch the huge amount of air coming out of the oil fill cap. Just be careful becasuse you'll probably get some oil mist too That's what you're keeping bottled up inside the engine. That air needs a way out somehow.

Oil on the inlet of the turbo isn't hugely uncommon since the front PCV valve vents oily vapor into the intake pipe pre-turbo any time the manifold is seeing positive pressure (boost). Since you plugged the front PCV valve you could clean out the intake tube and you wouldn't see any oil return. If you did see oil the only possible place it could be from would be the journal bearings in the turbo.
Hi thanks for the heads up. This is a UK model so il try and explain it from that point, I plugged the one that is on the drivers side to the rear of the car, and followed the pipe it connects to at the bottom of intake manifold and plugged that.

It was my understanding the other pipe that connects to the turbo intake was sufficient to vent? is this not the case?

I really hope I haven't damaged any seals.

Can you recommend what the best test is to rule out all of the above, I am guessing a leak down test but not sure how that could test the turbo journal bearings in the turbo

Old 10-09-2013, 12:21 PM
v10climber
6th Gear
Originally Posted by themarques
Hi thanks for the heads up. This is a UK model so il try and explain it from that point, I plugged the one that is on the drivers side to the rear of the car, and followed the pipe it connects to at the bottom of intake manifold and plugged that.

It was my understanding the other pipe that connects to the turbo intake was sufficient to vent? is this not the case?

I really hope I haven't damaged any seals.

Can you recommend what the best test is to rule out all of the above, I am guessing a leak down test but not sure how that could test the turbo journal bearings in the turbo
Ahh ok so you still have the front PCV functioning then. That's a good thing. You will be getting oil in the turbo intake then. Small amounts are normal.

As far as troubleshooting your problems you could get a compression test done for starters. That may explain some of the white smoke if you have a bad headgasket and are burning coolant. Are you having to refill the coolant?

The half-power is the bigger issue really. I can't really speak to the fuel pump since I haven't had any issues with the fuel pump on my car. A quick search of the forums will yield some threads discussing the symptoms. If you're burning so much oil you probably have really bad carbon deposits on the intake which can cause a CEL if it gets bad enough.

Sorry I can't be more help than that. It's really hard to diagnose stuff over the internet.