Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

MINI has issued campaign/recall to replace timing chains!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 10:15 PM
steaming79
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TREX
So under the conditions of the "campaign", if you have the tensioner replaced before the timing chain has a chance to reach the 68 mm replacement threshold you are pretty much screwed should the timing chain latter need replacement (which it most likely will and Mini Cooper most certainly understands).
ugh... this is a bs move by MINI.

EDIT: i haven't been here in a while, but lately i've been experiencing some things when i first start the engine that sounds like timing chain issues. i remember going in to get the tensioner replaced. it fixed it. but i'm pretty sure now the chain itself is going. i can't believe they gave me a band-aid fix and is now going to wash their hands of it. i'm gonna go to the dealership tomorrow and start ****. i might end up in the local news...

Last edited by steaming79; 10-15-2014 at 10:20 PM. Reason: added stuff
Old 10-15-2014, 11:19 PM
Gabe3
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by steaming79

EDIT: i haven't been here in a while, but lately i've been experiencing some things when i first start the engine that sounds like timing chain issues. i remember going in to get the tensioner replaced. it fixed it. but i'm pretty sure now the chain itself is going. i can't believe they gave me a band-aid fix and is now going to wash their hands of it. i'm gonna go to the dealership tomorrow and start ****. i might end up in the local news...
make sure its not the vacuum pump sound. i think it sounds similar to the timing chain.

Old 10-15-2014, 11:32 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

All the more reason to have someone else (not the dealer) perform the timing chain assembly repair unless you believe you could tackle this on your own, personally I'd have Motoring Magic do mine if it needed it again even if that meant towing it 150 miles.

Old 10-16-2014, 12:34 AM
steaming79
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Gabe3
make sure its not the vacuum pump sound. i think it sounds similar to the timing chain.
the sound i'm hearing almost sounds like a small chainsaw when i'm letting go of the accelerator pedal. goes on for about a minutes or so (i assume until the engine/oil heats up). i wonder if i've had any vacuum pump issues before...

Originally Posted by Systemlord
All the more reason to have someone else (not the dealer) perform the timing chain assembly repair unless you believe you could tackle this on your own, personally I'd have Motoring Magic do mine if it needed it again even if that meant towing it 150 miles.
agreed. the only reason i would set foot into the dealership again is if they did the work (incl. parts) for 'free'.

Old 10-16-2014, 01:07 AM
Systemlord
6th Gear
the sound i'm hearing almost sounds like a small chainsaw when i'm letting go of the accelerator pedal. goes on for about a minutes or so (i assume until the engine/oil heats up). i wonder if i've had any vacuum pump issues before...

agreed. the only reason i would set foot into the dealership again is if they did the work (incl. parts) for 'free'.
It your hearing a sound similar to a chainsaw I can only imagine what your top mounted timing chain guides look like!

Old 10-16-2014, 09:27 AM
StPeteMiniS
2nd Gear
Hey guys, so my problem basically developed in the past week, car refused to move very much, got the half CEL saying limp mode pretty much. Got my new boost tubes on since the prior(s) had a leak, so I naturally delete all codes and run around for a bit and hook the obd back up once my expected CEL returned. (I have a catless DP from Evolve). Code 296a comes up, intake mani unmetered air, in addition to the code for inlet cam sensor, which I just replaced the sensor a week prior (old was broke) and I thought that code would have gone away.

Wrong, still there, then yesterday morning I hear a slight ticking sound on the passenger side up front, gradually got worse on the way to work. While at work, I look all this up of course and naturally the tensioner made sense, took it to Mini, they say my VIN doesn't come up for the campaign. It was already replaced. They decided to look at it for no charge anyway, pretty cool of them, turns out the chain is way way off, guides likely broken too. Of course, the parts not under campaign but directly affected by the bad tensioner which was, go figure.

They "run some numbers to help me out" after saying it'd be around $2200 and the total came to $1359.60 after taxes for the kit itself and the labor which is 125/hr here. I'm supposed to get it back tonight. Did I make out okay here or not? Thanks guys. Also, in that kit, since the unmetered air code I assume is the VC gasket, is that not apart of the kit as well?

Old 10-16-2014, 10:40 AM
TREX
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by StPeteMiniS
Hey guys, so my problem basically developed in the past week, car refused to move very much, got the half CEL saying limp mode pretty much. Got my new boost tubes on since the prior(s) had a leak, so I naturally delete all codes and run around for a bit and hook the obd back up once my expected CEL returned. (I have a catless DP from Evolve). Code 296a comes up, intake mani unmetered air, in addition to the code for inlet cam sensor, which I just replaced the sensor a week prior (old was broke) and I thought that code would have gone away.

Wrong, still there, then yesterday morning I hear a slight ticking sound on the passenger side up front, gradually got worse on the way to work. While at work, I look all this up of course and naturally the tensioner made sense, took it to Mini, they say my VIN doesn't come up for the campaign. It was already replaced. They decided to look at it for no charge anyway, pretty cool of them, turns out the chain is way way off, guides likely broken too. Of course, the parts not under campaign but directly affected by the bad tensioner which was, go figure.

They "run some numbers to help me out" after saying it'd be around $2200 and the total came to $1359.60 after taxes for the kit itself and the labor which is 125/hr here. I'm supposed to get it back tonight. Did I make out okay here or not? Thanks guys. Also, in that kit, since the unmetered air code I assume is the VC gasket, is that not apart of the kit as well?

What year and model? How many miles on it?
Sounds like you've done some performance mods to your Mini, so that could affect how the dealership would stand behind any repairs, but that aside and looking at the timing chain issue only, my personal opinion is that Mini Cooper should have stood behind their defective timing chain design and covered it's replacement under the so called "campaign".
The fact that they had previously replaced the timing chain tensioner should not give them an excuse for not replacing the timing chain at a latter date as it should have been an expected outcome.
But that's how Mini Cooper has chosen to address the timing chain issue under this campaign, just replacing the tensioner and washing their hands of it from that point on.

Old 10-16-2014, 09:06 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Originally Posted by StPeteMiniS

Way better deal than I got ($1600), that's the lowest price I have seen from a Mini dealer for the complete replacement of the timing chain components!

Who's your Mini dealer?

Old 07-19-2015, 09:28 PM
john171
3rd Gear
Any updates from anyone going to the dealer for this issue?
I got "the" letter from MUSA, need to make the call.

Old 07-19-2015, 11:59 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Originally Posted by john171
Any updates from anyone going to the dealer for this issue?
I got "the" letter from MUSA, need to make the call.
Go to the dealer and bring the letter with you.

Old 01-12-2017, 02:03 PM
Neutral
My wife's car just came back from the Mini dealership after being told that it needs a new timing chain. We opted to not fix it and possibly search for a new car. On top of the $2600 worth of work we took it in for, they quoted us an additional $3000 for a new timing chain. The car is a non S 2007 mini hardtop. Not worth putting nearly $6000 into it.

Anyways, after searching timing chains we came across the lawsuit. So now I'm curious... since it's not an S model, does that mean we're out of luck? We're at around 92k miles and the in-service date for our car is 4/29/10.

Is there anything we can do?

Old 01-12-2017, 02:16 PM
turbosix
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 850
My wife's car just came back from the Mini dealership after being told that it needs a new timing chain. We opted to not fix it and possibly search for a new car. On top of the $2600 worth of work we took it in for, they quoted us an additional $3000 for a new timing chain. The car is a non S 2007 mini hardtop. Not worth putting nearly $6000 into it.

Anyways, after searching timing chains we came across the lawsuit. So now I'm curious... since it's not an S model, does that mean we're out of luck? We're at around 92k miles and the in-service date for our car is 4/29/10.

Is there anything we can do?
what was the $2600 you took it in for, and did you pay them to do that work? we got a "free inspection" and they quoted $6k worth of work which i was able to do myself for about $600. do you have any mechanical ability? if so you can probably do the $2600 worth of stuff and the $3000 timing chain for a LOT less than $5600....

https://www.ecstuning.com/Mini-2007-...Engine/Timing/

Old 01-12-2017, 02:31 PM
Neutral
No, I'm not mechanically inclined at all. The $2600 is for several things that we put off last year. vacuum pump, brake pad sensor, front control arm bushings and some other things. We didn't have them do any of the work.

Old 01-12-2017, 02:56 PM
turbosix
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 850
No, I'm not mechanically inclined at all. The $2600 is for several things that we put off last year. vacuum pump, brake pad sensor, front control arm bushings and some other things. We didn't have them do any of the work.
you might want to take it up to carmax to see what they'll give you for it and forget to tell them it needs any maintenance done

Old 01-12-2017, 04:52 PM
gcaspelich
2nd Gear
Sell it fast

I just traded in my 2008 Mini Clubman S with 139k miles for only $1800 for a new car. Yup, I paid $28K new in 2008 but had a host of problems that will keep me from getting anything from BMW/Mini ever again. The death rattle started happening again and the engine sipped a quart of oil every 2-3k miles. Luckily most went to catch can. I was on original clutch and the high pressure fuel pump was on a slow death. Also turbo had almost no boost, I figure about $7k worth of repairs for a $2k car. Also radio started to act weird and middle speedo wasn't working that well. Once that integrated radio/speedo center console goes out, car is DOA, that part alone cost more than the price of the car. Get rid of it fast before you are stranded on side of road.

Last edited by gcaspelich; 01-12-2017 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Turbo and radio problems
Old 02-10-2019, 05:59 AM
Robyn Turley Noe
Neutral
Recall Help w timing chain

Originally Posted by It'sNotCute!
All,

I have a 2008 Cooper S with 60,000 miles on the clock and an elongated timing chain. I just got off the phone with my SA and, after giving them the last 7 of my VIN, was told that MINI is now replacing the timing chains 'under warranty'. (It is my understanding that MINI is extending the warranty of the timing chain like they extended the warranty of the HPFP.) My SA said this has not been advertised, yet, but they are now doing the repairs. I confirmed with my SA that the entire timing chain cassette will be replaced.

I am simply relaying what I just learned and am sure more details will come.

If your timing chain is failing, CALL MINI NOW!!!
Plz help me get reimbursed for just replacing recalled timing chain. Almost $4,000.
Live a
I'm Cincinnati area My dealer said that was settled long ago w class action lawsuit. Isn't a recall w a replacement part say it was wrong and due to this problem it will go bad. I love my car but I shouldn't have to pay for a wrongly made part, a major engine type of part. Lmk if anyone who sees this can help me. Robin.noe@zoomtown.com, Loveland, Ohio. Owned since end of 2017. It is a 2008 mini s
​​

Old 02-10-2019, 06:13 AM
Robyn Turley Noe
Neutral
can you tell me who to contact at mini about reimbursement of timing chain recalled?