Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

N18 Engine - How are they holding up?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 01:05 PM
reACTION
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my 2011 MCCS has been pretty reliable. Thermostat housing failed and I had a factory defect rear its head after 60,750 miles. The end stop pin for the valvetronic gear backed out of place allowing the gear to become disengaged from the motor. Car wouldn't start and I had to have it towed. Seems that MINI is going to cover it since the sleeve where the pin resides was installed wrong and there was no sign of the engine being opened previously. Plus, the cylinder head looked brand new when they took the valve cover off.

Old 09-30-2016, 04:15 PM
CountryS
2nd Gear
80K on my 2011 countryman s, recently added Mario DP, stage 2 manic, removed both cats + resonator and added an axle exhaust Megan Racing.
More ponies and more fun, recently replaced both gas pumps under warranty.

Old 11-30-2016, 08:45 PM
superducky
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 Mini Clubman S 70k

18k: oil leak - oil pump solenoid valve assembly, engine harness assembly, and gasket replaced. coolant temp sensor replaced under campaign

36k: engine malfunction - reduced power: high pressure fuel pump & pressure hose assembly replaced

69k: check engine light - replaced tank vent valve that was stuck open, oil filter housing gasket (they said it was leaking coolant), lower control arm bushings, cracked drive belt

I'm pretty easy on the car. Mini says this is all normal. Relative to all my previous cars (Acura, VW, Ford Truck) which were all run to 100-200K+ without having to replace anything (not even the clutch) it doesn't feel normal. But none of those cars had this kind of engine. My warranty ends in a year, so I'm a bit worried.

Old 12-21-2016, 11:56 PM
Mini mikelee
Neutral
Electric water pump leak

2012 S coupe 30000km, 18750miles for non metric. Car was loosing 1/4 pint a week of coolant, but only dropped to minimum level in reservoir bottle.

(Edit) I spoke to the mechanic who did the repair today, he said it was the main water pump. He said it is called electric because it has a solenoid that activates it? He also complained about the lack of space.

I was told an oil solenoid is sweating, but am not sure where it could be. I know there is one on each cam VANOS.

Last edited by Mini mikelee; 12-23-2016 at 03:22 AM.
Old 12-22-2016, 11:37 AM
cargusjoh
4th Gear
Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
Try to fix the oil solenoid asap. Oil seeps through the wire harness and can fry a module. If caught in time they can just replace part of the harness that is oil seeped.

Old 12-23-2016, 03:30 AM
Mini mikelee
Neutral
Originally Posted by cargusjoh
Try to fix the oil solenoid asap. Oil seeps through the wire harness and can fry a module. If caught in time they can just replace part of the harness that is oil seeped.
Thanks cargusjoh, I will be spending some time fitting my GFB DV+ next week and will be searching for these sweating valves.
Mini Garage (official BMW service centre) who spotted the water pump leak, seemed to think this would only begin to seep next year, so at next service it will be done.

Old 01-11-2017, 12:57 PM
Xlivic
Neutral
47k miles on my 2013 model. No engine issues. Had thermostat replaced once. clutch and throw-out bearing and i've had to do an intake valve cleaning and change the spark plugs. The engine runs strong through and i've kept up with service quite well.

Old 03-03-2017, 07:58 PM
DPMinis11
1st Gear
87k miles. Bought used at 86.6k. loved it until last monday when she left me stranded on the Highway.. popped a head gasket and possibly damaged internals. very upset however I can't Blame the Mini because IDK what caused the malfunctioned yet, she gave me no warning! I'm blaming the S***hole that sold it too me at this point!! Other than this set back I adore my First MCS

Old 04-04-2017, 01:46 PM
rckrzy1
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Xlivic
47k miles on my 2013 model. No engine issues. Had thermostat replaced once. clutch and throw-out bearing and i've had to do an intake valve cleaning and change the spark plugs. The engine runs strong through and i've kept up with service quite well.
You would be the first person needing valves cleaned I heard of. Not sure about them needing it.

My 2013 has had zero engine issues. My 2012 needed new plugs at 30K and a new coil at 50K.

Old 05-12-2017, 12:28 PM
SPYECAR
1st Gear
I've owned my 2013 MCS since new and it now has over 57k miles on it. 20k miles ago, I added the Manic stage 2 tune with a high performance cat DP and larger intercooler, so I occasionally drive it hard (but not tracked). No engine issues and it still has the original clutch.

Old 10-11-2017, 09:40 PM
Tyler Weedn
Neutral
2011 hardtop s automatic (R56)

Bought it at 58k miles last week. Strong gas smell coming from exhaust pipes, white smoke, not sure how much just notice it when I first start it up, and coolant looks like chocolate milk, could be mixed colors and/or rust. Other than that car seems to run just fine. This is my first mini Cooper and my first turbo. I'll be doing a radiator flush and fill tomorrow, and using gas treatment to see if that fixes the smell.

Old 10-11-2017, 09:59 PM
squawSkiBum
Received 302 Likes on 223 Posts
Was this a private sale, or from a dealer? Did you have any pre-purchase inspection done?

Sounds like you may have bought some major problems - probably oil in the coolant, possibly coolant in the oil, possible stuck injector, etc. If you bought this from a dealer, take it back. If you bought it from a private party - good luck. Check the oil asap to make sure there's no coolant in it, and get a good scanner to see if there are any codes set.

Old 10-11-2017, 10:06 PM
Tyler Weedn
Neutral
Going to be checking the oil tomorrow morning. I'm financing the car through a dealer. A few days after I got the car I had addressed the issues with the car salesman and they gave me a rent car while they kept my car to check it. When I first got it, the coolant was completely green. And then when I got it back they said the coolant level was low and added straight water to it and now it looks like a dirty brown. I did notice a lot of rust floating around in the green coolant when I first got it.

Old 10-12-2017, 10:20 AM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 151 Posts
2014 N18 in a Countryman S, manufactured Nov 2013. It is now just shy of four years old. A few months ago I did the first non-dealer oil change. I took an oil sample and sent it to Blackstone for analysis. Here's the write-up of the result…

We're looking at a fair amount of metal here. Aluminum is from the pistons/bearings. Iron comes from steel parts like the crankshaft and cams. A longer run and spirited use can make add more metal than you'd see otherwise, but we're not convinced this engine is wearing as well as it should. It'd be a good idea to try a shorter run and see if that can help bring about some improvements. There is some fuel, but 0.5% is harmless. No coolant or excess dirt is present. Oil filtration is working well (low insolubles). Try ~7,000 miles. Check back to keep an eye on wear.

Oh, and I had to add oil part-way through the interval.

N18 engine isn't as effed as the N14 was, but I have real reservations about its longevity. Maybe my wife would like to trade her Countryman S for a WRX hatch…

Attached Thumbnails N18 Engine - How are they holding up?-blackstone-n18-41k.png  
Old 10-13-2017, 11:23 AM
jwasbury
1st Gear
2013 MCS JCW 6 speed manual. Purchased new, ~85k miles, wife's daily driver/commuter.

Needs first set of brakes, lost count of tires, but 6 sets would not be an exaggeration...NJ potholes damage tire sidewalls every few months.

A/C needed recharge recently...dealer recommends intake cleaning and front strut mount replacement (beginning to fail on one side).

Engine has been trouble free so far, but CEL light has come on and I need to read the code to see what's up. Its making power just fine, hopefully a simple fix.

Not happy with the tire issues and suspension parts failing. Our '06 started to fall apart around the same mileage. Probably selling the car soon.

Anyone looking for a JCW?

Old 10-13-2017, 11:52 AM
Qik420
4th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm in a 12' S @92k. Things that WILL need to be replaced along the 90k ride will be the HPFP (covered on my car till 120k via MINI), plugs and coils, thermostat and MAYBE the water pump depending on which one the car came with. Front lower control arm bushings and front struts but those are normal maint. items and at 90k they'll be toast. You'll have gone through a few sets of rotors and pads in the front and just one set of rotors on the back. My MINI get's new rubber every other year if not less (I buy nothing but summer performance tires, haven't tried any A/S high mileage tires).

Old 10-13-2017, 11:56 AM
Qik420
4th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by jwasbury
2013 MCS JCW 6 speed manual. Purchased new, ~85k miles, wife's daily driver/commuter.
Not happy with the tire issues and suspension parts failing. Our '06 started to fall apart around the same mileage. Probably selling the car soon.
Anyone looking for a JCW?
They do seem to start to unravel after 80k. Damnit.

Old 02-05-2022, 08:07 PM
Realtrep
Neutral
Originally Posted by Qik420
They do seem to start to unravel after 80k. Damnit.
Guys mine is a 2013 Mini Cooper jcw with 140 k miles and still runs great

The following users liked this post:
JeffInDFW (03-23-2023)