Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

2007 Manual stalls when in neutral?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 10:05 AM
mimaal
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 Manual stalls when in neutral?

I have a stock base model 2007 mini with about 78k miles on it.

I've been having issues with my engine almost stalling out when I take it out of gear and come to a stop. It doesn't matter what temperature it is outside, how long I've been driving it, or how much fuel is in my tank; when I come to a stop the RPMs fall below 1k, the car shudders, then it corrects itself. I took it to the Mini dealership when this first started happening and they told me that that was normal and that every mini did that.
Now my car will fully stall when I take it out of gear and start to brake about every 10th time. I've read some threads about 2007 Automatics having this issue, but nothing about Manuals.

Is this actually a normal mini issue? Has anyone else had this problem and corrected it?

Old 02-19-2014, 05:47 AM
ljmattox
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Seriously, "they all do that", as an answer?

Sounds fuel system related. I don't have a 2007, but my 190E Benz would get cranky like that. I learned to dose the tank with Chevron fuel system cleaner about every six months to prevent it. Don't know if you've tried that, $8 or so, might help.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:52 AM
mimaal
1st Gear
Yeah, they told me shuddering and burning ridiculous amounts of oil. Ill try the additive and see how it works, hopefully that is all it needs

Old 02-19-2014, 12:38 PM
llewellyn
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like it could be fuel related, however I had something similar happen with mine before, but it was when it was really cold out. If I kept the revs up it was alright, but as soon as it went back to idle it would shudder and almost stall out. My battery charge level was pretty low, and all the lights in the car were pretty dim, so I think at idle in the cold it didn't quite have enough juice to sustain idle.

Old 02-19-2014, 12:49 PM
digitalsolo
1st Gear
I just replaced my plugs and resolved the EXACT issue you are noting. A cheap fix (I spent ~30 dollars from RockAuto.com) and worth doing regardless at 78k miles as maintenance.

I've yet to see a test show any fuel system cleaners to be in any way effective, FWIW.

Old 02-20-2014, 05:49 AM
mimaal
1st Gear
Originally Posted by digitalsolo
I just replaced my plugs and resolved the EXACT issue you are noting. A cheap fix (I spent ~30 dollars from RockAuto.com) and worth doing regardless at 78k miles as maintenance.

I've yet to see a test show any fuel system cleaners to be in any way effective, FWIW.
I might as well try that, seeing as it'll need to be done soon anyway. Will that get rid of my valve slap?

Does your mini burn oil quickly? Mine burns about a quart every 800 miles, the dealership said that was normal but I'm starting to question everything they've told me.

Old 02-20-2014, 05:52 AM
mimaal
1st Gear
Originally Posted by llewellyn
Sounds like it could be fuel related, however I had something similar happen with mine before, but it was when it was really cold out. If I kept the revs up it was alright, but as soon as it went back to idle it would shudder and almost stall out. My battery charge level was pretty low, and all the lights in the car were pretty dim, so I think at idle in the cold it didn't quite have enough juice to sustain idle.
Yeah I read about the cold start issues, but mine happens anytime of day. doesn't matter what temp or how long I've been driving it. The only thing that seems to make a difference is if I'm trying to brake while going uphill (like up a driveway)- then it will stall every time.
Do your head lights stay dim? I replaced my headlights recently and the normal brightness is super dim, my high beams are blinding though. Doesn't make sense since both beams come from the same bulb.

Old 02-20-2014, 06:14 AM
digitalsolo
1st Gear
Originally Posted by mimaal
I might as well try that, seeing as it'll need to be done soon anyway. Will that get rid of my valve slap?

Does your mini burn oil quickly? Mine burns about a quart every 800 miles, the dealership said that was normal but I'm starting to question everything they've told me.
I burn about 1/2 quart every 2500 miles which I put as normal. 1 quart/800 is NOT normal.

New plugs won't get rid of anything but rough running, BUT, my rough running was exacerbating timing chain noise, causing excess oil slosh and some other stuff, which were causing seemingly unrelated issues.