Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Check engine light and misfire: Mini cooper S 2009

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 08:51 AM
DerpyDawg
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you think the PCV delete and oil catch can made much of a difference? What brand did you go with, and what do you see when you empty it?

Old 12-05-2014, 03:59 AM
gawannamini
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DerpyDawg
Do you think the PCV delete and oil catch can made much of a difference? What brand did you go with, and what do you see when you empty it?
I bought a BSH catch can from Way Motor Works. It was well built and I liked the kit. There are photos of it in my DIY PDF. Over about 15,000 miles I captured about 32 oz of fluid. About 2/3 rds of this is condensed water. About a third was oil. There is a pic in the PDF of the captured fluid. In cold weather in Atlanta I had to drain it about every 800 - 1,000 miles and it was mainly water.

The catch can is really just an oil separator. I found a lot less oil in the intake manifold and hoses (and probably the intercooler) this time than I did before I installed the rear PVC hose delete kit and catch can.

Was it worth it? I can't really say since it did not completely prevent carbon build up and I got a CEL in only 15,000 miles. I don't think it hurt anything and the oil it captured did not turn to carbon build up on the valves.

My take is that the PVC delete kit and catch can helped but I would not count on it totally preventing carbon build up.

I just plan on walnut shell blasting the valves every 12,000 - 15,000 miles because it drives THAT much more lively and smoothly. Mine feels like a different car after cleaning.

Last edited by gawannamini; 12-08-2014 at 07:52 PM.
Old 12-06-2014, 01:09 AM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by jcauseyfd
That's another red flag in my opinion. There are lots of things that can cause a misfire code. Your SA has just grabbed hold of a frequent problem and thrown it out there as the problem without really doing any kind of diagnostic work on your MINI.

If they can't be more accommodating and thorough it helping get your MINI back to full health, you might want to start looking for another dealership if there is one close by.

With your low mileage use, you should be changing your oil at least once a year.
^^^^

Also I find it hard to believe after 8000 miles that you would need a carbon cleaning of the intake valves, I had mine cleaned at 47k and it wasn't as bad as most. Misfires can be cause by detonation where the AFR lean or excess heat in your combustion temps.

After I had my valves walnut blasted misfiring continued so I figured if my valves were filthy so to should my combustion chambers. They were indeed covered in black residue, after 6 cans of BG 44K Fuel System Cleaner no more misfires! I swear by this stuff, just note it is designed for professional use and can be purchased on eBay for about $22 per can.

This BG 44K will do nothing for your intake valves, it cleans carbon deposits in your combustion chambers, tops of pistons. Carbon anywhere in the combustion chambers can cause excess heat causing a misfire, when this happens your fuel is igniting before the spark plug even fires.

This was a chronic problem that I had for the first year of ownership, This BG stuff saved me from having to remove the head for carbon cleaning. I use a bottle every third gas up, got 6 cans on hand at all times, this with changing your oil every 5000-7500 miles should keep your MCS running for a long time.

Last edited by Systemlord; 12-06-2014 at 01:15 AM.