Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

2006 MCS: Low Voltage Post Cat O2 Sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 04:45 AM
KsharK
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 MCS: Low Voltage Post Cat O2 Sensor?

I've been getting a check engine light on and off for the past year. The code is P2096. I've been able to reset the code and add a bottle of Techron in the past, and the light will stay off for a few months. The Techron may just be a coincidence, but I've had the light come back on within a day or two if I don't add any. Sometimes the light will just go off on it's own anyway.

I borrowed a bluetooth OBDII scanner from a friend to monitor the O2 sensors. At idle, the front sensor seems to be pulsing normally between 0.1 - 0.7V. The rear sensor reads a constant voltage around 0.1V. From what I've read online, this seems like it's low. Would this indicate an exhaust leak, bad cat, faulty sensor, other?

Thanks!

Old 10-24-2012, 10:39 AM
Nitro Jake
2nd Gear
MINI o2 sensors are notoriously junky. The near-zero flatline looks like a dead sensor to me. the sensor is supposed to read roughly 0.5v constant, indicating a steady exhaust stream and working catalytic converter. You will not likely be able to clear the light with your scan tool but there is a work-around on these forums to clear the lamp specifically for this code. Once you do that, swap the front and rear sensors- they are the same part number. If your check engine lamp comes back on the front, you can confirm the sensor is bad. I also dont recommend any aftermarket sensors, either. OEM are best.

Old 01-06-2017, 04:28 PM
bigwebb83
Neutral
Originally Posted by Nitro Jake
MINI o2 sensors are notoriously junky. The near-zero flatline looks like a dead sensor to me. the sensor is supposed to read roughly 0.5v constant, indicating a steady exhaust stream and working catalytic converter. You will not likely be able to clear the light with your scan tool but there is a work-around on these forums to clear the lamp specifically for this code. Once you do that, swap the front and rear sensors- they are the same part number. If your check engine lamp comes back on the front, you can confirm the sensor is bad. I also dont recommend any aftermarket sensors, either. OEM are best.

i hate to bump an old thread but I have the same thing on a 2010 r56 base non turbo. After cat o2 is reading very low voltage compared to the before cat. I have a 30B2 "fuel injector cylinder 7 active" code as well as a 276A "catalytic converter -conversion" fault code coming up on my C110 diagnostic scan tool.

Ive read that I could have anything from a bad ignition coil to dirty injectors, but likely both are being caused by a bad catalytic converter.

Car has 95k on the odometer. Thanks for any responses.