MINI Cooper MINI Cooper specs

Go Back   North American Motoring > 2nd Generation MINIs > Stock Problems/Issues
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to North American Motoring !
Welcome to North American Motoring,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

» Latest Main Topics
chrono pack to nav pack
by scoopy
10 Replies, 161 Views
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2012, 08:22 PM
4th Gear

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Gallery
High Pitched noise, no power 2 codes

So driving my JCW Roadster today, I kept hearing this high pitched whistle when I would give it gas, sounded kind of funny. I drove it normal, didn't think much about it, and then BOOM, check engine light came on (half engine) and said I could continue slowly...but I had NO Power, couldn't get the car over 25mph honestly.

I was about 50 miles from home so I start/stopped it several times in a row until it let me drive normally, the check engine light is still on, but the car isn't in "limp" mode anymore. I didn't get into boost all the way home. But anytime I took off from a light the sound could still be heard, almost thought a police car was around a few times, it sounded like a far off police siren.

Got home, put a scanner on it, had codes P1637 and P1638. I saw that they are something about throttle position but that doesn't make any sense based on my noise issues. I plan to call MINI Roadside tomorrow and have it towed to the dealership. But does anyone have any thoughts on stuff to check first?

This is a 2012 JCW Roadster with 6K on the odometer.

Last edited by Liquid; 09-08-2012 at 08:57 PM.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:39 PM
6th Gear

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid View Post
Got home, put a scanner on it, had codes P1637 and P1638.
* MINI DTC P1637 (0x2B2B) - Throttle Valve Position Control, Control Deviation
* MINI DTC P1638 (0x2711 or 0x2B32) - Throttle Valve Position Control, Throttle Stuck Temporarily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid View Post
But anytime I took off from a light the sound could still be heard, almost thought a police car was around a few times, it sounded like a far off police siren.
Have you fired the engine with a help of a buddy and check the intake tract for loose tubes / connections?

If there's nothing obvious to be found, indeed hand it over to the dealer for them to rectify the problem.

- Erik
Old 09-09-2012, 06:20 PM
4th Gear

Gallery
I identified the whistling as the top of my DOS snout being askew....doesn't matter now as I put the stock intake back on. Took the car around the block, didn't make it around the block before I turned around and went back home. Sounds like crap and runs like crap still.....almost sounds like when you used to ride a bicycle as a kid with a card stuck in the spoke.

I'm calling MINI Roadside tomorrow to have them tow it up to the dealer. :-( I'll update when I get more info.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:08 PM
4th Gear

Gallery
And after the dealer driving it 25 miles after clearing the codes....no problems have arose....strange....guess it was just a fluke?? :-( Argh......but maybe it's for the best that nothing's actually wrong with the car. Only time will tell...........
Old 09-11-2012, 04:08 PM