Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Random rough idle problem.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 12:07 PM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
Random rough idle problem.....

I’ve noticed this happen about 3 times in the last few months. When I come to a stop and the motor is idling, all of a sudden I will feel the car shake a little and I’ll noticed that the tachometer (motor) will drop down a couple hundred rpm, and then back up, and then down, and then up. It gets into a rhythm…kind of chugs a little.

Every time it’s done it, all I’ve had to do it rev the motor up a little…then it calms back down into a normal idle and everything is fine. I’ve never got any check engine lights, or anything else that would indicate a problem. Like I said, it’s only done it three times. Anyone else had this problem. Kind of hard to nail it down since it’s so sporadic and random.

Old 09-22-2011, 12:26 PM
Cheerio44
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had the same problem, it only seems to happen when I have a little fun in traffic and push the car a little, then come to a stop light. It's basically the exact same thing that happens to you.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:26 AM
edgein
2nd Gear
Count me in too. Except I have an '04 MCS. It's been doing it for years now. Dealer gave me the famous "It's normal" excuse.

Old 11-24-2011, 09:31 PM
scoopy
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mine is happening now. did you find the cause for this? many thanks

Old 11-28-2011, 07:25 AM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
My 2003 MCS is still doing the rough idle thing every once in a while. I haven’t really been able to find any pattern to it, but I do think it may be related to something with the cabin climate control. I notice that when it start to do it, the engine vacuum will start to drop from 16 (where it normally idles at), down to around 10. The idle gets really rough, but the rpms never really drop from the motors normal idling speed. If I don’t do anything, after about 20seconds the vacuum will slowly start to build back to 16…and as it does, the idle smooths out. I’ve also noticed that more times than not….if I turn the heater (or AC) off…..the vacuum come back up faster, and the idle returns to normal much faster. Could the computer be leaning/richening up the fuel…causing a rough idle, and also making the motor not build as much vacuum? The strange thing is that the idle speed stays the same, it doesn’t drop like you would see with a typical vacuum leak. Very strange problem. But other than being a little annoying, it hasn’t caused any issues. It probably happen about once every few weeks.

Old 11-28-2011, 07:43 AM
scoopy
4th Gear
thanks will take note of that. Apparently, its been 4 days now and it still haven't gotten the shake. i didn't use my car for almost 2 days i'll check if the idle will change from the start or so. thanks again

Old 12-02-2011, 11:57 AM
VRBeauty
6th Gear
I've had a similar problem - intermittent rough idling with my 2003 Cooper - for a long time. Never seemed to happen when it was at the dealer though. Now my car won't pass smog due to a misfire in one of the cylinders. I'm guessing the two are related - and I wish I'd pushed the dealership on this issue when the car was still under warranty!

Old 12-02-2011, 12:15 PM
Blackbomber
5th Gear
My Cooper does exactly that, and I know what triggers it in my case. It's when the RPMs fall below idle. Such as if I don't depress the clutch soon enough when coasting to a stop. Also sometimes if I'm parking the car, and not really using the accelerator. I know lugging the engine is bad practice, but my cars have always lasted longer than I've cared to keep them. Anyway, mine will always clear up on it's own after several seconds.

Old 12-07-2011, 04:55 PM
MC2005s
3rd Gear
Yup, I have it as well. Happens about 3-4 times a month. Idles at a light, shakes a little, I leave it alone (even though I get tempted to mash the accelerator to get the RPMs back up) but was always curious to see if the car would die out. It doesn't, it just struggles for 5-10 seconds and runs fine after that. Have asked the shop(s) about it and they can't seem to find anything.

Old 12-07-2011, 05:18 PM
scoopy
4th Gear
im not sure if i'm in the right thread but if your engine top mount bushing (the one with the oil near the pulley) is shot, would you notice the shake a little more compared if your bushing is bnew? thanks

Old 12-08-2011, 04:50 AM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
Originally Posted by scoopy
im not sure if i'm in the right thread but if your engine top mount bushing (the one with the oil near the pulley) is shot, would you notice the shake a little more compared if your bushing is bnew? thanks
Nope, not an engine mount issue. It's definitely something in the "tune" of the motor. Mine only does it every now and then...usually when idling at a light. Just like others have described....it will start to idle rough for 10-20 seconds, then it just clears up on it's own. It's never died on me.

Old 09-02-2012, 05:50 AM
nickbmw
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Same problem for me too, since i bought the car 5 years ago... Rough idle for a few seconds, at the time it happens i can see at the LC1 that it's going very lean,17-18:1, then i have logged this event with the MINIport (Mynes) and when it happens, it does indeed goes lean and the ECU is trimming up to +25% to compensate, slowly compensates and the idle goes normal again. It is doing this since bone stock, and i still don't know what it is. The weird things is, that at the time it happens, the ECU opens the throtlle body a bit more. So i have a lot of data for what's going on when it happens. Anyone have any idea why is this happening?

Old 09-02-2012, 07:40 AM
Detroit Tuned
Vendor - 15 Years
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
The rough idle issue is in the ECU program. OFFICIALLY, there is nothing wrong with your car. If you give it a bit more gas it will clear right up, or just let it do it's thing and it will clear up. Some times it can be cleared up with a custom tune, but it's hard to find and fix on each and every car. So don't think anything is wrong or needs fixing. You will spend a lot of time and money on something that can not be fixed..ever.

Chad
Detroit Tuned

Old 05-21-2013, 09:52 PM
lordofthereef
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Detroit Tuned
The rough idle issue is in the ECU program. OFFICIALLY, there is nothing wrong with your car. If you give it a bit more gas it will clear right up, or just let it do it's thing and it will clear up. Some times it can be cleared up with a custom tune, but it's hard to find and fix on each and every car. So don't think anything is wrong or needs fixing. You will spend a lot of time and money on something that can not be fixed..ever.

Chad
Detroit Tuned
I noticed this was happening to our car too. My wife, who is the more paranoid of the two of us, insists the car is going to blow up (lol). She had some bad experiences as a kid getting stuck in her parents' less than trusty Ford Taurus wagon, so she feels like any small thing means the car needs to go to the shop. Anyway, does this little chug just mean our mini has a little character and there is nothing to worry about? Sounds like, from your post, that is the case. If I can show her your post/reply, I am sure she will feel better.

Old 05-22-2013, 05:26 AM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
I've given up trying to find a fix, I've just gotten used to it. It does is once every week or two it seems. I will be sitting at a stop light and I will notice that the vacuum will start creeping down from around 15 down to 10. It idles rough and sounds like its going to die. If I just let it idle, after about 6-7 seconds the vacuum starts creeping back up and the idle start smoothing out and it's all back to normal......or if I rev it up a bit that usually takes care of it.

Wish I knew what was causing this, but it sounds like everyone else has the same problem.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:29 AM
OldGameFreaK
4th Gear
Everyone I know with an R53 has this same issue.....

Old 05-24-2013, 04:26 PM
bodinski
5th Gear
My 03 S had only done it once in 20k - then the dealer flashed my ECU to v.38 . From then on, it's been a regular occurence. It seems to happen more often on Shell gas than on BP, for what that's worth.
It happened with the hood up one day & I noticed the little evap cannister clicked like mad until it cleared up.

Old 05-24-2013, 04:47 PM
miles_miles7
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 07-23-2013, 02:46 PM
Cruzer214
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My justa cooper coupe just did the same thing today after driving an Nouri came to a stop and then the idle bounced up and down. I hit the gas and it eventually smoothed out, prob just a quirk I hope

Old 07-23-2013, 08:53 PM
Bradley99
3rd Gear
Mine was fine ('04). I took it to the dealer for some in-warranty repair. "Oh, and I upgraded your software for you." I had reported no problem. It's done it ever since.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:02 PM
fr0mmagna
2nd Gear
Yeah, just deal with it... I get it 2-6 times a day! Lol. Happens mostly when hitting neutral once stopped at a light. I drive 150-300 miles a day tho. It has only stalled once during this and it was the day I bought it. I believe dealership had cheap gas in there... I kept diluting with chevron and its never stalled from it again.

I also get a random kind of chug to the motor when at idle. Sounds like a massive hotrod motor at the drag strip with its carburetor. Hahah. People look at me funny, especially when I'm yelling at Whistler to stop with the attitude. ;-)

Old 07-24-2013, 08:52 AM
faer
1st Gear
well i've had this same iddle hickups since i bought my 2005 MCS 1.5 years ago, always the same answer, nothing wrong, just normal "adjustment"...
unfortunately about 6 weeks ago being stuck on heavy traffic the car started his show but this time it ended with the engine stalled and the EML light on. switched on again, the car was on limp mode and the light on. Did this twice and the car run ok, the light was off...
nothing happened for a few days, and again same thing. Took it to my mechanic and run a check, found a code about a sensor on the opening/closing of a valve...reseted the car, and had no problems for a couple of days. This is currently not my daily driver so i'm driving it mostly on weekends or every another day. The thing that yesterday in stalled upon braking on a red light. the engine stopped, eml went on and this time acompanied by the traction control light on. had a tough time on starting the engine, kept stalling and shuting down. after 5 or 6 attemps it started, but at limp mode (nearly 0 accel or power) but could move to the side. i let it for a couple of minutes and turnet it on again, all ligths were off and the engine ran ok....decided to drive back home just find out that now the eml light comes on randomly (not only at iddle or when coming to a full stop), had again to shut the engine off and on to "reset" the system and being able to drive, as the car gets stuck in limp mode and i can't get past 2000 rpm...
additional info, when i bought it i experienced similar simptoms, but it was a bad crank pulley, which i replaced with the ATI and everything that comes together. My mechanic checked this last time and it was ok...
sorry for the extentm but i really don't know what is happening now and i'd appreciate anylkind of feedback....

Old 10-09-2013, 08:18 AM
faer
1st Gear
well, i managed to borrow the TB from my brother in laws car and sure, mine was fried...so a new piece to my mini...WTF...every 3 months you have to change something to this little bastard!!!! it's anoying!!!!...
sadly, i think it has his days accounted for..l

Old 02-14-2015, 02:43 PM
rikaro
2nd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Isn't this great? Would have thought bmw knows how to make proper cars by now. Somehow all of my other cars (a bunch of japanese cars and some e30s) are more reliable than this.

My story is that I was at a parkade and my car stalled once. Started it back up and then parked my car. 10 minutes later when I come start the car up the car cranks and starts, but kept stalling and wouldn't idle. Somehow I waited a little longer and it started up fine with the tcs light on. After I got home I shut it off and restart it a few times and Have no problems now.

It would be great if someone can find a solution for this. I don't mind the dip and rough idle, but the car dying and not being able to start up is a pain in the ***.

Old 04-27-2015, 11:09 AM
thehawk11
Neutral
I have this same problem. The other day it was so bad that the rpms dropped low enough that the alternator couldn't keep up and it also shut off the power steering pump. I assume all of these items were related. Once i started moving everything went back to normal. Just made it difficult to pull out of the drive-thru

Quick Reply: Random rough idle problem.....