Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

A/C compressor install tricks (FTW)

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 01:14 PM
HRM
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
A/C compressor install tricks (FTW)

First I must say that though I don't know these guys, the unit looked well rebuilt. So far it lasted 10 miles and I will update the thread if it fails.
This was $185 over the winter though prices are higher now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/160607714485

THis is the seller in case the item isn't listed anymore..
http://stores.ebay.com/Air-Parts-Inc...id=p4340.l2563

My friend is a mini tech, he helped me install the compressor and I was able to watch. While doing this myself would be normal for me, my bad back is acting up and being the wife's car and not mine, it was money well spent to have it done now before it gets hot around here..

Anyway, a trick he did I will now call the "Rudy proceedure". Up on the lift, it removed the lower engine mount which takes 30 seconds. Then he put the cross bolt back in the engine tangs and used a come-along winch to tug the engine back about an 1 1/2 or so. A block of wood on the front subframe let the strap make the turn and in the rear is a rectangular brace. Now this didn't take much torque, but the engine moved and there was now plenty of room. It might not seem much, but is was super fast and easy to remove it from below without taking anything else apart doing it this way.

As a matter of fact, to get the dryer out took more work since for that you had to take the bumper and cover off to the the condensor loose enough for that to slide out. Without the dryer, it was a 20 min job for the compressor...

I just thought you would like to know.

So..

Take off splash guard
Take of PS fan
Remove engine mount (but reinstall bolt)
use strap come-along between rectangular cross member and bolt for mount.
Remove compressor.

Last edited by Motor On; 06-29-2012 at 04:12 PM.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:36 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
FTW, indeed! Many thanks to Rudy for saving me from putting the MINI into service mode. The trick worked perfectly - though I did have to remove the engine mount bracket to get the motor mount out. I suppose it would be easier on a lift.

If anyone else does this - you may be able to get away without having to removed the bumper. Once you remove the upper mount screw on the drier, the condenser lifts up enough to reach the torx screw that holds the drier in place.

I'm still ticked that my compressor died after only 4 years, but I'm blowing cold again for just a bit over $300 vs the $1200 at a shop.
Note: If you're not going to use the OEM tension release tool, make sure you use a relatively small diameter lever. I used a 3/4" crowbar (the only one my local hardware store had) and the width made the job much tougher. I used the 1" long 1/4 inch bolt in the tensioner hole - that worked pretty well.

Old 05-25-2012, 02:53 AM
HRM
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Glad it helped. I should add he had wobble hex sockets (sort of rounded at the end) that let you get the line bolts off at an angle.