Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Anyone have USAA Extended Vehicle Protection Warranty?

Old 06-22-2011, 08:08 PM
TobCapone
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone have USAA Extended Vehicle Protection Warranty?

Hello,

Does anyone have USAA Extended Vehicle Protection Warranty?

They are a fantastic customer service company but that may not necessarily translate to their car warranty.

The underwritting company is Assurant Solutions (or technically American Security Insurance Company if you are in CA like me),

Anyone have any experience with them?

Thanks,
T.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:31 PM
hexon
2nd Gear
Shortly after I bought my used MINI I got a mailing from them. However they make it look like you currently have a warranty and that you can extend it, which is very deceptive. After a quick google I found it they are pretty much a scam.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:39 PM
TobCapone
1st Gear
That's good to know. Thanks for your comment.

Was the company you got the direct mail from Assurant Solutions or USAA?

Thx,
T.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:27 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
We've done extended warranty repairs for USAA and had good experiences. I would recommend it as a good extended warranty.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 06-23-2011, 10:22 PM
RKHGC
1st Gear
USAA is top notch in all aspects of the insurance/finance industry. When I was getting a quote to add my new Clubman, they pitched the extended warranty. I spoke with them as I wanted to get an idea of costs before I saw the dread F & I guy for my purchase. They told me that in order to be eligible for the extended coverage, I must finance the car through USAA bank. Since I was taking advantage of the BMW financial Corp .9% deal, I was a no candidate.

USAA is top notch though. Solid

Old 06-25-2011, 01:31 PM
Justmenmymini
3rd Gear
I used USAA car buying service to buy my ALL4. I will probably finance with them as well since they matched the lowest rate I found. While the car warranty may be underwritten by someone else, I have no doubt that USAA wouldn't be offering a cut rate product. I just spoke to someone this week about it.

I was under the impression that the warranty was offered to anyone as long as the car had under 75,000 miles on it when you purchased the policy. There was no stipulation that I had to finance with them. Only if I wanted to roll it into my loan, which I don't. The quote I was given was $800 for up to 100,000 miles, I believe. I asked if I could add it later and they said yes.

Old 09-27-2012, 02:58 PM
Firewire
2nd Gear
I just checked and you can buy it one of two ways. Manufactures Wrap and Comprehensive. Looks like the Comprehensive is your only option after the factory warranty has expired.

For my 2008 Clubman S (today September 2012) w/ 27k miles here were the options:

Comprehensive Protection Plan
12 months from purchase date or 12,000 miles from purchase
One payment of $901.00
or Four monthly payments of $225.25

24 months from purchase date or 24,000 miles from purchase
One payment of $1,274.00
or Four monthly payments of $318.50

36 months from purchase date or 36,000 miles from purchase
One payment of $1,948.00
or Four monthly payments of $487.00

48 months from purchase date or 48,000 miles from purchase
One payment of $3,200.00
or Four monthly payments of $800.00

Manufacturer Wrap Protection Plan
Mileage Vehicles still under the manufacturer powertrain warranty
Age No older than 5 years
Coverage Runs concurrently with the manufacturer powertrain warranty

Comprehensive Protection Plan
Mileage Have 115,000 miles or less on the odometer
Age No older than 10 years
Coverage Extends beyond the manufacturer warranty to the period you specify.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:07 AM
sanchezc01
Neutral
USAA Extended vehicle HORRIBLE experience

Because the USAA warranty company refuses to pay for a covered item (vehicle transmission), I have been forced to lease another car, in addition to paying for the loan on a car that I cannot use. I owe $18,000 on this vehicle. I paid over $3500 for the warranty coverage when I purchased my car in 2010. I have taken good care of this vehicle. I cannot afford to pay for a new transmission on a car that is only five years old. The cost to replace the transmission needed for my car is over $9,000. I am having difficulty trying to keep up both my car loan and the lease payments on the second car.

The warranty company claims they won’t cover the transmission because they say rust caused the damage and they don’t cover rust. The mechanic who examined my car said he believes the damage to the transmission is internal. A car as young as this one should not have transmission failure. I wonder how many other customers this warranty company has taken for a ride.

The BMW is five years old and the transmission is a closed system, so just to get out of there agreement they blamed it on rust. On top of that they made me wait two weeks for there decision, forcing me to rent a car for two weeks. which they are not reimbursing. On top of that, each time I would call for a status, they would respond with such attitude. I know its expensive for the transmission and transfer case, but It was expensive for me to pay 3500 for a service and now they are not put up there end of the deal.

I thought I could trust them because they are a military insurance, but I thought wrong and found out the hard way. I just don't want anyone else to be put in the same situation I was put in.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:39 AM
endvibe
Neutral
Just thought I'd throw in my .02- I had an issue today that turned out to be caused by the battery. I made the dealership call Assurant (who USAA uses for extended vehicle protection) and they actually covered it (and labor). Getting extended coverage can be a risk but this is definitely a good company. The only thing they dont cover is oil changes, wiper blades etc.

Old 02-20-2013, 06:36 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Originally Posted by sanchezc01
Because the USAA warranty company refuses to pay for a covered item (vehicle transmission), I have been forced to lease another car, in addition to paying for the loan on a car that I cannot use. I owe $18,000 on this vehicle. I paid over $3500 for the warranty coverage when I purchased my car in 2010. I have taken good care of this vehicle. I cannot afford to pay for a new transmission on a car that is only five years old. The cost to replace the transmission needed for my car is over $9,000. I am having difficulty trying to keep up both my car loan and the lease payments on the second car.

The warranty company claims they won’t cover the transmission because they say rust caused the damage and they don’t cover rust. The mechanic who examined my car said he believes the damage to the transmission is internal. A car as young as this one should not have transmission failure. I wonder how many other customers this warranty company has taken for a ride.

The BMW is five years old and the transmission is a closed system, so just to get out of there agreement they blamed it on rust. On top of that they made me wait two weeks for there decision, forcing me to rent a car for two weeks. which they are not reimbursing. On top of that, each time I would call for a status, they would respond with such attitude. I know its expensive for the transmission and transfer case, but It was expensive for me to pay 3500 for a service and now they are not put up there end of the deal.

I thought I could trust them because they are a military insurance, but I thought wrong and found out the hard way. I just don't want anyone else to be put in the same situation I was put in.
Call your lawyer as that is crazy, and it's not the first failed MINI trans.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 02-21-2013, 06:39 AM
Chili4
3rd Gear
I went USAA for purchasing, financing and warranty. They have treated us unbelievably well so far. (Not the first car purchased through them, either)

If you have a problem, elevate it--politely. USAA really does have excellent customer service.

Old 03-03-2013, 03:51 PM
thirdraildesignlab
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Just to clarify, USAA's extended warranty is just that: a warranty extension. It doesn't cover maintenance, and isn't a substitute for the extended maintenance option on MINIs... correct?

Old 05-30-2013, 09:47 PM
scrawnyguy
Neutral
For those that have the coverage, when they say they want to see past service records how far back do they go? I took most of my stuff to my mom's place last year to store during my latest deployment and I have yet to retrieve them. I have the last two oil changes but that is it. I just bought the coverage a couple of weeks ago and I don't want to keep it if they are going to be a royal pain in the @#$ every time I file a claim. I know I can cancel within 60 with a full refund and I am starting to lean that way.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:45 PM
Ceeruu3
Neutral
Originally Posted by scrawnyguy
For those that have the coverage, when they say they want to see past service records how far back do they go? I took most of my stuff to my mom's place last year to store during my latest deployment and I have yet to retrieve them. I have the last two oil changes but that is it. I just bought the coverage a couple of weeks ago and I don't want to keep it if they are going to be a royal pain in the @#$ every time I file a claim. I know I can cancel within 60 with a full refund and I am starting to lean that way.
In my experience, they do not always ask for maintenance. You would only be required to provide maintenance history in the event of a failure of a powertrain component (engine, transmission or dive axle), and only in the event that the failure you are experiencing appears to be related to lack of proper maintenance.

Old 01-24-2014, 10:37 AM
Paula Shalkowitz
Neutral
A week ago my son-in-law (who is a veteran) purchased a used vehicle 5 yrs. old by way of a car dealership out of Kentucky (we live in Georgia).. The vehicle quit working and found it had something to do with the oil flow thru the engine. Feeling relief he opted in the recommended (by the sales/finance person) USAA Extended Vehicle Protection Warranty at the time of financing, so he submitted the claim..USSA did a analysis on the vehicle and after few days later they stated "It was normal wear and tear on a engine of 5 years, therefor it's not covered" I'm 54 years old and have never known/heard of a "well maintained" vehicle's engine to quit under normal wear and tear.. Just saying--Folks who are thinking this is the next best thing/alternative to a manufactures warranty couldn't be more wrong...... It's a costly fee for coverage that doesn't cover the likely issues a vehicle seems to have as it gets older, though this is how the warranty is presented and your led to believe at the time of purchase..

Old 01-24-2014, 10:57 AM
whaap
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by sanchezc01

I was a USAA claims manager when I retired from the company in 1989. Here's something many people don't know. When you feel your company has made the wrong decision on your claim you have an avenue open to you that is 100% free as it is paid for by your taxes. Each insurance company in your state works under the guidance and approval of your states insurance commissioner. Every state has one. They might have a slightly different title but they can be found in your phone book under State Government. If you have a complaint against your company all you have to do is contact them with your problem. They will call on your company to provide them with the reason they took the action they did. If the commissioners office thinks they're wrong they will tell them. If the commissioners office thinks you're wrong, after they have investigated, they will tell you. The last thing an insurance company wants is an 'Insurance commissioner complaint'. They will give immediate attention to the commissioners inquiry and if they think they might be wrong they will probably make the necessary correction before being told to. This applies to any policy you might have. If you have a problem with some one else's insurance company your only course of action would be through negotiations or litigation.

Old 01-24-2014, 11:20 AM
turbofun
2nd Gear
I am seriously interested in the USAA Extended Warranty 7 yr / 100K as it is only $1440 for my new MINI on order. MINI wants more than twice that amount from what I am reading on this forum. I am also interested in the 6 year / 100K MINI Maintenance Program Upgrade.

I have never purchased an extended warranty before from USAA however I have been a USAA member for over 21 years and they have treated me well for all other matters.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:56 PM
darock
Neutral
USAA Assurant Solutions

I currently have USAA Assurant Solution Warranty. I have purchased the warranty and was added to the loan amount I have borrowed from USAA. I purchased the vehicle in October last year. Four months later, I have had an issue with the engine. I took it to the shop( two shops as a matter of fact) and both shops verified that there is an engine knock. I have contacted Assurant Solutions and they are very helpful. It took awhile to get the approval from the claim department but they have finally approved and authorized to get the engine remanufactured. They also helped with towing the vehicle en route to the shop of my choice. So far, I give them 5 stars out of 5. I am glad that I have bought the warranty, otherwise I would have been stuck with a car that I am still making payments on. So, I highly recommend it.

Old 08-11-2015, 06:32 PM
Skeeter2730
Neutral
USAA Extended Warranty (Assurant Solutions)

Originally Posted by TobCapone
Hello,

Does anyone have USAA Extended Vehicle Protection Warranty?

They are a fantastic customer service company but that may not necessarily translate to their car warranty.

The underwritting company is Assurant Solutions (or technically American Security Insurance Company if you are in CA like me),

Anyone have any experience with them?

Thanks,
T.
Just got this this extended warranty last month at 63,000 miles of my 2012 Mini Cooper S Clubman and got authorized by the administrator for approval to repair a fault code P2004 and code P 1449 the dealership told me that they will be replacing fuel pump, lines and some assembly related to the fuel components. So far what I know is going to be over 1000.00 plus in repair. I will give an update as soon my mini is ready for pick up for better numbers and cost effectiveness of having a extended warranty.

Old 08-12-2015, 10:05 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
We do USAA repairs all the time as we have several customers with their warranty. I have to say these guys are the best aftermarket company. Yesterday we actually did an $8000 trans job that they paid no issue after it was verified by the inspector.

Old 08-12-2015, 11:25 PM
Skeeter2730
Neutral
Originally Posted by Skeeter2730
Just got this this extended warranty last month at 63,000 miles of my 2012 Mini Cooper S Clubman and got authorized by the administrator for approval to repair a fault code P2004 and code P 1449 the dealership told me that they will be replacing fuel pump, lines and some assembly related to the fuel components. So far what I know is going to be over 1000.00 plus in repair. I will give an update as soon my mini is ready for pick up for better numbers and cost effectiveness of having a extended warranty.
Alright I got my Mini Cooper S Clubman from Tucson Mini Dealership Maintenance they replace the dmtl pump and the charcoal canister all covered by USAA Extended Warranty (Assurant Solutions) My invoice copy it show zero charge saving around 1200 to 1500 dollars in parts and labor. So far I'm happy getting this extended warranty especially me not babying my R55 on the road. Thanks for your reading and hope it help you in the selection to get it or not.

Old 08-12-2015, 11:26 PM
Agbullet25
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Definitely a better experience than I had with Mercury when it came to covering a bad transmission in my R56. They only offered to cover up to the value of the car (about 5,000 according to them), and the transmission alone was 6,000, plus about 2,000 in labor. Didn't matter how we tried to approach it. They simply said they'd only cover up to the value of the car, you're stuck with the rest, and after all is said and done, the remainder of the policy would be cancelled.

Old 10-02-2018, 05:11 PM
Kevin Mann
Neutral
Scam

I have a drive shaft that went out. I brought it to the dealer. Usaa inspected it. 2 days without my jeep and usaa denied all repairs. Don't get it!

Old 10-02-2018, 07:28 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Originally Posted by Kevin Mann
I have a drive shaft that went out. I brought it to the dealer. Usaa inspected it. 2 days without my jeep and usaa denied all repairs. Don't get it!
You need to talk to USAA and find out why? I've dealt with them many times and never had an issue. But if you had a lift kit or some other mod that may be why as an inspector can note that and easily be why. Also they will check tire size to make sure the mileage can't be off and actually be out of the warranty time. There's a report somewhere so it would be interesting to see.

We've done 2 USAA warranty claims in the last 2 months with no issue. One was for a turbo and other was a fuel pump.

Old 10-14-2018, 03:23 AM
Bnourai
5th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
Why anyone in the right mind buy there warranty from USAA, think people, when was the last time you drove by a USAA repair shop?
great bank and insurance company and thanks for y'all service.but you get denied for the repair then what your going to do?
get your money back cancel the warranty? No one to fall back on. I am that dreaded finance guy with a reputable dealer that turned a bad claim to a good customer service since I sold that warranty, you pay 3-4k for warranty's these days used or not, dealers will stand behind there products since they are the repair shop too and can force there warranty co to pay.
Ben

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone have USAA Extended Vehicle Protection Warranty?