MINI Cooper MINI Cooper specs

Go Back   North American Motoring > 1st Generation MINIs > Stock Problems/Issues
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to North American Motoring !
Welcome to North American Motoring,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

» Latest Main Topics
fuel guage
by mini_d6
0 Replies, 26 Views
Whats Wrong?
22 Replies, 984 Views
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2011, 08:08 PM
1st Gear

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Gallery
Anyone have USAA Extended Vehicle Protection Warranty?

Hello,

Does anyone have USAA Extended Vehicle Protection Warranty?

They are a fantastic customer service company but that may not necessarily translate to their car warranty.

The underwritting company is Assurant Solutions (or technically American Security Insurance Company if you are in CA like me),

Anyone have any experience with them?

Thanks,
T.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:31 PM
2nd Gear

Gallery
Shortly after I bought my used MINI I got a mailing from them. However they make it look like you currently have a warranty and that you can extend it, which is very deceptive. After a quick google I found it they are pretty much a scam.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:39 PM
1st Gear

Gallery
That's good to know. Thanks for your comment.

Was the company you got the direct mail from Assurant Solutions or USAA?

Thx,
T.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:27 PM
Vendor

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Gallery
Garage
We've done extended warranty repairs for USAA and had good experiences. I would recommend it as a good extended warranty.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:22 PM
1st Gear

Gallery
USAA is top notch in all aspects of the insurance/finance industry. When I was getting a quote to add my new Clubman, they pitched the extended warranty. I spoke with them as I wanted to get an idea of costs before I saw the dread F & I guy for my purchase. They told me that in order to be eligible for the extended coverage, I must finance the car through USAA bank. Since I was taking advantage of the BMW financial Corp .9% deal, I was a no candidate.

USAA is top notch though. Solid
Old 06-25-2011, 01:31 PM
3rd Gear

Gallery
I used USAA car buying service to buy my ALL4. I will probably finance with them as well since they matched the lowest rate I found. While the car warranty may be underwritten by someone else, I have no doubt that USAA wouldn't be offering a cut rate product. I just spoke to someone this week about it.

I was under the impression that the warranty was offered to anyone as long as the car had under 75,000 miles on it when you purchased the policy. There was no stipulation that I had to finance with them. Only if I wanted to roll it into my loan, which I don't. The quote I was given was $800 for up to 100,000 miles, I believe. I asked if I could add it later and they said yes.
2011 CM ALL4 S | Pure Red w/ Black top, Rims and Mirrors | Xenon Headlights | STEPTRONIC | Premium Package | Cold Weather Package | Auto Climate | 2 Piece Rail | White turn signals | Blue Tooth and iPod Adapter | Black Bonnet and boot Stripes | Front Center Armrest | Second Load Floor
Old 09-27-2012, 02:58 PM
2nd Gear

Gallery
I just checked and you can buy it one of two ways. Manufactures Wrap and Comprehensive. Looks like the Comprehensive is your only option after the factory warranty has expired.

For my 2008 Clubman S (today September 2012) w/ 27k miles here were the options:

Comprehensive Protection Plan
12 months from purchase date or 12,000 miles from purchase
One payment of $901.00
or Four monthly payments of $225.25

24 months from purchase date or 24,000 miles from purchase
One payment of $1,274.00
or Four monthly payments of $318.50

36 months from purchase date or 36,000 miles from purchase
One payment of $1,948.00
or Four monthly payments of $487.00

48 months from purchase date or 48,000 miles from purchase
One payment of $3,200.00
or Four monthly payments of $800.00

Manufacturer Wrap Protection Plan
Mileage Vehicles still under the manufacturer powertrain warranty
Age No older than 5 years
Coverage Runs concurrently with the manufacturer powertrain warranty

Comprehensive Protection Plan
Mileage Have 115,000 miles or less on the odometer
Age No older than 10 years
Coverage Extends beyond the manufacturer warranty to the period you specify.

'08 Clubman S ~ Beyond Loaded :)
Old 01-07-2013, 09:07 AM
Neutral

Gallery
USAA Extended vehicle HORRIBLE experience

Because the USAA warranty company refuses to pay for a covered item (vehicle transmission), I have been forced to lease another car, in addition to paying for the loan on a car that I cannot use. I owe $18,000 on this vehicle. I paid over $3500 for the warranty coverage when I purchased my car in 2010. I have taken good care of this vehicle. I cannot afford to pay for a new transmission on a car that is only five years old. The cost to replace the transmission needed for my car is over $9,000. I am having difficulty trying to keep up both my car loan and the lease payments on the second car.

The warranty company claims they won’t cover the transmission because they say rust caused the damage and they don’t cover rust. The mechanic who examined my car said he believes the damage to the transmission is internal. A car as young as this one should not have transmission failure. I wonder how many other customers this warranty company has taken for a ride.

The BMW is five years old and the transmission is a closed system, so just to get out of there agreement they blamed it on rust. On top of that they made me wait two weeks for there decision, forcing me to rent a car for two weeks. which they are not reimbursing. On top of that, each time I would call for a status, they would respond with such attitude. I know its expensive for the transmission and transfer case, but It was expensive for me to pay 3500 for a service and now they are not put up there end of the deal.

I thought I could trust them because they are a military insurance, but I thought wrong and found out the hard way. I just don't want anyone else to be put in the same situation I was put in.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:39 AM
Neutral

Gallery
Just thought I'd throw in my .02- I had an issue today that turned out to be caused by the battery. I made the dealership call Assurant (who USAA uses for extended vehicle protection) and they actually covered it (and labor). Getting extended coverage can be a risk but this is definitely a good company. The only thing they dont cover is oil changes, wiper blades etc.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:36 PM
Vendor

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Gallery
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchezc01 View Post
Because the USAA warranty company refuses to pay for a covered item (vehicle transmission), I have been forced to lease another car, in addition to paying for the loan on a car that I cannot use. I owe $18,000 on this vehicle. I paid over $3500 for the warranty coverage when I purchased my car in 2010. I have taken good care of this vehicle. I cannot afford to pay for a new transmission on a car that is only five years old. The cost to replace the transmission needed for my car is over $9,000. I am having difficulty trying to keep up both my car loan and the lease payments on the second car.

The warranty company claims they won’t cover the transmission because they say rust caused the damage and they don’t cover rust. The mechanic who examined my car said he believes the damage to the transmission is internal. A car as young as this one should not have transmission failure. I wonder how many other customers this warranty company has taken for a ride.

The BMW is five years old and the transmission is a closed system, so just to get out of there agreement they blamed it on rust. On top of that they made me wait two weeks for there decision, forcing me to rent a car for two weeks. which they are not reimbursing. On top of that, each time I would call for a status, they would respond with such attitude. I know its expensive for the transmission and transfer case, but It was expensive for me to pay 3500 for a service and now they are not put up there end of the deal.

I thought I could trust them because they are a military insurance, but I thought wrong and found out the hard way. I just don't want anyone else to be put in the same situation I was put in.
Call your lawyer as that is crazy, and it's not the first failed MINI trans.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:39 AM
3rd Gear

Gallery
I went USAA for purchasing, financing and warranty. They have treated us unbelievably well so far. (Not the first car purchased through them, either)

If you have a problem, elevate it--politely. USAA really does have excellent customer service.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:51 PM
6th Gear

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Gallery
Just to clarify, USAA's extended warranty is just that: a warranty extension. It doesn't cover maintenance, and isn't a substitute for the extended maintenance option on MINIs... correct?

2011 r55s pw/w sport, premium, 17 webs, 'longboy'
Old 05-30-2013, 09:47 PM
Neutral

Gallery
For those that have the coverage, when they say they want to see past service records how far back do they go? I took most of my stuff to my mom's place last year to store during my latest deployment and I have yet to retrieve them. I have the last two oil changes but that is it. I just bought the coverage a couple of weeks ago and I don't want to keep it if they are going to be a royal pain in the @#$ every time I file a claim. I know I can cancel within 60 with a full refund and I am starting to lean that way.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:45 PM
Neutral

Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrawnyguy View Post
For those that have the coverage, when they say they want to see past service records how far back do they go? I took most of my stuff to my mom's place last year to store during my latest deployment and I have yet to retrieve them. I have the last two oil changes but that is it. I just bought the coverage a couple of weeks ago and I don't want to keep it if they are going to be a royal pain in the @#$ every time I file a claim. I know I can cancel within 60 with a full refund and I am starting to lean that way.
In my experience, they do not always ask for maintenance. You would only be required to provide maintenance history in the event of a failure of a powertrain component (engine, transmission or dive axle), and only in the event that the failure you are experiencing appears to be related to lack of proper maintenance.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:37 AM
Neutral

Gallery
A week ago my son-in-law (who is a veteran) purchased a used vehicle 5 yrs. old by way of a car dealership out of Kentucky (we live in Georgia).. The vehicle quit working and found it had something to do with the oil flow thru the engine. Feeling relief he opted in the recommended (by the sales/finance person) USAA Extended Vehicle Protection Warranty at the time of financing, so he submitted the claim..USSA did a analysis on the vehicle and after few days later they stated "It was normal wear and tear on a engine of 5 years, therefor it's not covered" I'm 54 years old and have never known/heard of a "well maintained" vehicle's engine to quit under normal wear and tear.. Just saying--Folks who are thinking this is the next best thing/alternative to a manufactures warranty couldn't be more wrong...... It's a costly fee for coverage that doesn't cover the likely issues a vehicle seems to have as it gets older, though this is how the warranty is presented and your led to believe at the time of purchase..
Old 01-24-2014, 10:57 AM
4th Gear

Gallery
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchezc01 View Post

I was a USAA claims manager when I retired from the company in 1989. Here's something many people don't know. When you feel your company has made the wrong decision on your claim you have an avenue open to you that is 100% free as it is paid for by your taxes. Each insurance company in your state works under the guidance and approval of your states insurance commissioner. Every state has one. They might have a slightly different title but they can be found in your phone book under State Government. If you have a complaint against your company all you have to do is contact them with your problem. They will call on your company to provide them with the reason they took the action they did. If the commissioners office thinks they're wrong they will tell them. If the commissioners office thinks you're wrong, after they have investigated, they will tell you. The last thing an insurance company wants is an 'Insurance commissioner complaint'. They will give immediate attention to the commissioners inquiry and if they think they might be wrong they will probably make the necessary correction before being told to. This applies to any policy you might have. If you have a problem with some one else's insurance company your only course of action would be through negotiations or litigation.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:20 AM
2nd Gear

Gallery
I am seriously interested in the USAA Extended Warranty 7 yr / 100K as it is only $1440 for my new MINI on order. MINI wants more than twice that amount from what I am reading on this forum. I am also interested in the 6 year / 100K MINI Maintenance Program Upgrade.

I have never purchased an extended warranty before from USAA however I have been a USAA member for over 21 years and they have treated me well for all other matters.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:20 AM