Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

CV joint noise yes or no?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 05:48 PM
SPDinNY
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CV joint noise yes or no?

I have an 06 Cooper S with 72 on it. When I speed up or slow down I hear a clicking noise from my driver side tire. It sounds like metal pieces breaking almost crunching a little. It is just a quick noise then goes away. I give it gas, makes this noise then is fine. I let off to decel, makes this noise then is fine. I have heard a CV joint go before and it is that similar sound but it isnt doing this when turning. Just when I get on it speeding up and slowing.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:37 AM
SPDinNY
5th Gear
bump

Old 06-14-2011, 09:30 AM
cmt52663
6th Gear
Received 293 Likes on 222 Posts
I'd check for any play at all in the wheel - if there is none, then I'd tend not to think of wheel bearing, or bushings/joints. That would leave the axle, including outer CV, inner, and the bearing as the stub leaves the tranny.

I like your theory, I'm just trying to think of ways to either weaken or strengthen it without pulling the LF corner right away...

Charlie

Old 06-14-2011, 10:27 AM
JumpingJackFlash
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If worn out, the outer CV joints won't make clicking sounds unless you take turns. I had to replace my axles in my old '02 MCS around 112K miles. I'm leaning toward the inner CV joints as your possible culprit.

See if you have a mechanic friend handy, have them take your MINI for a quick drive to confirm (with you riding along). Only two ways you might be able to find out if the inner CV joint is the problem without taking the shaft out are see if it clicks by attempting to move it with a prybar and sliding the inner boot cover off and visually inspect the joint.

If you do determine the CV joints are shot, it's better to replace the entire axles than repair them. If you have a pal that works at a shop, see if they can get you new ones at his price. My friend did so for me, and the total cost for the pair back in October '09 was $350. Overall labor involved should not be more than a couple of hours.

Maybe also take a few minutes to remove the wheel and inspect the inner/outer ball joints (busted seal?) and the caster mounts for the wishbone (par that goes from bottom of A-arm to subframe).

Old 06-14-2011, 02:33 PM
SPDinNY
5th Gear
I am doing a clutch as well so would this just be all I would need in case it was either??

https://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/C...+50091+2091001

Old 06-18-2015, 11:40 PM
cesare
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a strange noise also that i noticed just last friday.

When i accelerate from a stop, i get a metal on metal 'TING-ting,ting----ting' sound (like swords clashing or like when your exhaust is 'pinging' while its cooling down after run hard) from 10mph to around 15mph or so and noticed it mostly because my window was down as i left work. It does this consistantly after leaving from a dead stop but always between 10mph to 15mph and not always at a constant even cyclic rate.It does it going straight or turning left or right.
I did recently put on a new set of lightweight rims (Enkei RPF1's) and tires but ive already put on 700 miles on the set and just noticed this mystery sound.

Could a CV joint going bad sound like this?

Old 06-25-2015, 09:57 PM
cesare
2nd Gear
Tried alot of things to correct the issue.... but i think i've finally figured it out!

I believe something is trapped inside the tire (i.e. small wheel weight) when they were being mounted on the rims ( the set of tires/rims was bought through Tirerack and pre-mounted) and its 'jangling' around at low speed like a quarter in the dryer. In all my years i have not had an issue quite like this and this HAS to be the answer.

Im betting on it!

Old 07-03-2015, 03:26 PM
cesare
2nd Gear
Yup, just as i thought.

A little nut was trapped inside the wheel and bouncing around. It must have got in there when the tires were being mounted on the rims at Tirerack.

The first time ive seen this happen ....and the guy at the tireshop too!

Problem resolved.