MINI Cooper MINI Cooper specs

Go Back   North American Motoring > 2nd Generation MINIs > Stock Problems/Issues
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to North American Motoring !
Welcome to North American Motoring,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

» Latest Main Topics
How to Track your MINI
353 Replies, 104,394 Views
Manic Tune in AZ
by jabbr
8 Replies, 455 Views
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2011, 03:50 PM
2nd Gear

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Gallery
Accidently overfilled my oil...

Hey Gang,
I accidently overfilled my motor oil on my 207 Mini Cooper S. It is about 3/4" above the full indicator
Will the higher oil level cause major problems or should I drain some and start over?
THanks
Lee
Old 05-28-2011, 04:03 PM
Neutral

Gallery
You should either drain or siphon away the excess oil because it could possibly cause engine damage (crankshaft can come into contact with oil which will result in foaming and the introduction of air bubbles into the oil pan pickup). If you have access to a siphon-type oil exchanger you can suck out the excess oil through the oil dipstick tube. Otherwise, you will unfortunately have to drain the oil from the drain plug and start over.
Old 05-28-2011, 04:08 PM
4th Gear

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Gallery
Garage
Ideally, you should remove the excess oil. It won't immediately destroy your engine, but it will create extra oil vapor in the crankcase, which will then get passed through the PCV into your intake. Oil vapor in the intake of the S engines leads to deposits on the valves, which is a known problem already with these engines anyway. Having too much oil in the engine will accelerate that process, as well as reduce your fuel economy.

2011 R55s BRG Ordered: 7 Nov 10; Traded: 3 Apr '13

http://fromthecontroltower.blogspot.com/
Old 05-28-2011, 05:41 PM
2nd Gear

Gallery
THanks for the response...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthMaul View Post
You should either drain or siphon away the excess oil because it could possibly cause engine damage (crankshaft can come into contact with oil which will result in foaming and the introduction of air bubbles into the oil pan pickup). If you have access to a siphon-type oil exchanger you can suck out the excess oil through the oil dipstick tube. Otherwise, you will unfortunately have to drain the oil from the drain plug and start over.
I do not have a manual for my MINI...is the oil drain plug obvious from the bottom?
THanks
Lee
Old 05-28-2011, 05:56 PM
4th Gear

Gallery
Yes, quite obvious. I changed my oil last weekend and accidentally overfilled a little also, so planning on draining some off tomorrow. You should be able to just loosen the plug and let it drip out slowly, at least that's my plan. I want to avoid completely draining and refilling.
10 Mazda CX9 AWD Grand Touring (Wife's Daily Driver)
05 Nissan Titan LE 4x4 (Haulin & Towin)
various 'one design' sailboats / stinky hockey gear / workshop & tools
Old 05-29-2011, 05:12 AM
6th Gear

Gallery
it is obvious, and is a flush fitting hex head bolt 8mm, some say they've found a torx, and while a T-50 certainly fits in mine, once I had the plug in hand it was most clearly a hex head. Mine is a 7, so maybe they changed, but mine is for sure a hex and not a star/torx.

Do NOT confuse it with the similar transmission drain plug! This one is way over to the driver side while the oil drain is more near the centerline, sort of below the oil fill.

You can easily loosen and drain a bit, no need to flush and start over.
Old 05-29-2011, 11:03 AM
4th Gear

Gallery
I drained off an excess quart of oil today. I guess I need to be a little more careful adding oil next time I do a change. I don't think a week (250 miles) of driving with excess should contribute much to carbon build up on the valves, but glad I figured it out and took corrective action.
10 Mazda CX9 AWD Grand Touring (Wife's Daily Driver)
05 Nissan Titan LE 4x4 (Haulin & Towin)
various 'one design' sailboats / stinky hockey gear / workshop & tools
Old 05-29-2011, 04:11 PM
Neutral

Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlander709 View Post
I drained off an excess quart of oil today. I guess I need to be a little more careful adding oil next time I do a change. I don't think a week (250 miles) of driving with excess should contribute much to carbon build up on the valves, but glad I figured it out and took corrective action.
Carbon buildup is a very insignificant issue (besides I highly doubt you would have built up any significant carbon deposits in 250 miles) compared to the crankshaft hitting the oil and causing it to foam. When oil foams, you have the potential of air bubbles getting sucked up by the oil pickup and starving the bearings of oil. But, anyways glad it all worked out for you .
Old 05-30-2011, 04:56 AM
6th Gear

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Gallery
+1

Cavitation is the big worry. No one knows how much of an overfill does this. That's the $10,000 question. Best add the correct amount.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:54 AM
5th Gear

Gallery
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfin'02 View Post
Hey Gang,
I accidently overfilled my motor oil on my 207 Mini Cooper S. It is about 3/4" above the full indicator
Will the higher oil level cause major problems or should I drain some and start over?
THanks
Lee
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfin'02 View Post
I do not have a manual for my MINI...is the oil drain plug obvious from the bottom?
THanks
Lee
I assume that 207 is 2007. Here you go:

http://motoringfile.com/files/2007_MINI_Hardtop.pdf

http://motoringfile.com/files/2007_MINI_Convertible.pdf
Old 05-31-2011, 08:53 AM
5th Gear

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Gallery
My dealer always overfilled my car and I never bothered to drain any of the excess out. I has a piston fail at about 28k miles and a number of other engine problems, but I'm doubtful that them overfilling them caused those problems. Anyways, I would drain out the excess if I owned the car and wanted to keep it for a long time.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:35 AM
5th Gear

Gallery
I disagree. Based on my knowledge (and it is a bit more than a little) so I am not dangerous overfilling oil can cause significant damage over time. Pistons. crankshaft, gaskets etc. If you are still using this dealer I would stop going there. I only over filled one time and I quickly drained the quart or so out.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:37 PM
6th Gear

Gallery
Overfilling is often done at the dealer, where mine uses 5qts on an oil change, and about 4.5 is the right amount. But I don't think that % of overfill is gonna damage anything it's about 10%. But if you add an extra whole quart you could have problems over time. Just my .02.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:37 PM