Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Oil Leak - Turbo Line and Heat Exchanger?

Old 11-11-2012, 07:11 PM
th3band1t
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Leak - Turbo Line and Heat Exchanger?

Hello all.

I recently performed and oil change on my 09 JCW and noticed it was leaking a bit of oil, not enough to cause concern but enough to clean it up to see where it was coming from. It seems that the oil feed line on top the turbo is leaking which I have researched and it seems to be common. So I am ordering the Detroit Tuned oil line kit. Is there any other hoses/pipes/gaskets/washers that I should replace while I have everything off? I know I am taking the time to wrap the DP so I dont have to keep with the shield.

I also noticed a slight leak around what REALOEM calls the Heat Exchanger. Are those seals known to go bad as well as I have not come across any threads/posts regarding this.

Any insight would be appreciated! Pics posted below to show what Im referring to.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:56 AM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had to get the heat exchanger on my 2008 MCS replaced right at 50,000 miles. I think I could count on one hand the number of other posters I've seen that have had their heat exchanger replaced. imo, it is one of the more rare parts to fail.

If you are going to be in there doing that work, might want to consider also replacing the oil return line (parts 10/11/12 on the diagram). I did it on DT's recommendation.

Old 11-12-2012, 10:21 AM
th3band1t
1st Gear
Originally Posted by jcauseyfd
I had to get the heat exchanger on my 2008 MCS replaced right at 50,000 miles. I think I could count on one hand the number of other posters I've seen that have had their heat exchanger replaced. imo, it is one of the more rare parts to fail.

If you are going to be in there doing that work, might want to consider also replacing the oil return line (parts 10/11/12 on the diagram). I did it on DT's recommendation.
I hope its not the exchanger. I believe its one of the seals. I sprayed everything of with brake clean and I've been driving it for a few days to see where its coming from. Its either those seals or my turbo oil line is worse than what I thought. I'm throwing it up on a lift tonight to get a better look

Old 11-12-2012, 11:45 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
There have been some grumblings around NAM about the seal rings in the oil filter/cooler module starting to fail causing seepage down the block. You are not alone!

Old 11-14-2012, 11:20 AM
texasmontego
4th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
My car has 75K on it and I just did the following. My turbo line and the leaky oil pan were the initial cause of the repair and I figured since the current mileage it couldn't hurt to do it all.

- Turbo feed line (replaced with Detroit Tune version)
- Turbo return line
- Exhaust Manifold Gasket
- Downpipe to Turbo gasket
- New studs/nuts for manifold and turbo
- Oil Pan Gasket
- Vaccuum Hoses
- Heat Exchanger seals/gaskets

Total project was about $400 (ordered through Sewell Parts) and a couple of weekends. I didn't initially do the heat exchanger seals/gaskets and I discovered they were leaking too only after I put it all back together, so I had to go back last weekend and do those. If you do the oil pan, get the fel-pro actual gasket. Mini offers a Gasket In A Tube for the oil pan and mine is still leaking a little, so I will be going back and putting a real gasket in.

For everything I had to do, I know this repair would have been over $2K at a dealer, and it was really easy. A regular socket set, some wrenches and a screwdriver or two was all I needed.

Do yourself a favor and drain the oil and coolant before you start. Will save you a lot of time cleaning up a mess. haha

Old 11-14-2012, 12:49 PM
th3band1t
1st Gear
Originally Posted by texasmontego
My car has 75K on it and I just did the following. My turbo line and the leaky oil pan were the initial cause of the repair and I figured since the current mileage it couldn't hurt to do it all.

- Turbo feed line (replaced with Detroit Tune version)
- Turbo return line
- Exhaust Manifold Gasket
- Downpipe to Turbo gasket
- New studs/nuts for manifold and turbo
- Oil Pan Gasket
- Vaccuum Hoses
- Heat Exchanger seals/gaskets

Total project was about $400 (ordered through Sewell Parts) and a couple of weekends. I didn't initially do the heat exchanger seals/gaskets and I discovered they were leaking too only after I put it all back together, so I had to go back last weekend and do those. If you do the oil pan, get the fel-pro actual gasket. Mini offers a Gasket In A Tube for the oil pan and mine is still leaking a little, so I will be going back and putting a real gasket in.

For everything I had to do, I know this repair would have been over $2K at a dealer, and it was really easy. A regular socket set, some wrenches and a screwdriver or two was all I needed.

Do yourself a favor and drain the oil and coolant before you start. Will save you a lot of time cleaning up a mess. haha

Yep this is what Im doing!

Ordered:
Heath Exchanger Gaskets
Detroit Tuning Oil Line
Mini Oil Return Line Kit
BSHR Boost Tap

I didnt see my oil pan leaking, I have roughly 45K miles. But I have ordered exhaust wrap as well so that I dont need to throw the heat shield back on.

The oil pan seems to have a gasket from the pictures Im looking at? Or do they show them with gaskets but in reality you have to use Fuji Bond?

Old 11-14-2012, 01:33 PM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Originally Posted by th3band1t
Yep this is what Im doing!

Ordered:
Heath Exchanger Gaskets
Detroit Tuning Oil Line
Mini Oil Return Line Kit
BSHR Boost Tap

I didnt see my oil pan leaking, I have roughly 45K miles. But I have ordered exhaust wrap as well so that I dont need to throw the heat shield back on.

The oil pan seems to have a gasket from the pictures Im looking at? Or do they show them with gaskets but in reality you have to use Fuji Bond?
Curious - where did you order the exhaust wrap from?

Anyone have any experience doing that as a way to eliminate the heat shields? Any pluses or minuses? Seems like it would make things a whole lot easier than dealing with the stock heat shields.

Old 11-14-2012, 04:50 PM
th3band1t
1st Gear
Originally Posted by jcauseyfd

Curious - where did you order the exhaust wrap from?

Anyone have any experience doing that as a way to eliminate the heat shields? Any pluses or minuses? Seems like it would make things a whole lot easier than dealing with the stock heat shields.
I bought a basic from summit racing. ive had the same idea of getting rid of all the heat shields. im going to ceramic coat and wrap everything.

Old 11-15-2012, 11:33 AM
texasmontego
4th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Ceramic coat would be nice to have. I can tell you putting the heat shields back in was a hassle. I spent more time messing with the heat shields than I did with the actual repair. www.jet-hot.com.

Would be interesting to see how effective it would be.

Old 12-08-2012, 10:59 AM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Any one have any idea what size the banjo bolts for the turbo feed line are?