Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Timing chain issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 06:23 PM
gjn25
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Timing chain issues

if you have had any issues with the anything to do with the timing chain tensioner that may or may not have had to be over hauled completely. please just put a +1 and your minis year in this thread. I'm currently trying to get an idea of how many people have had work done not just think it broken but had work done to fix your issue. I'm currently speaking with a lawyer about this issue trying to see if we can get a class action against BMW for not doing something to fix this witch is an ERROR from manufacturing!!! please I need your help so that all of us can win this together.

thank you

FYI I m not trying to make money off of this suet I m just trying to get all of use a fix that they should have done voluntarily by BMW or at least the same treatment the HP fuel pump extended warranty on fix do to failure.
again thanks to all please just keep this thread a count avoid tilling of story's
just a +1 and your year

Just wanted to add this is only a count you will not be part of the class action in any way for any info you give here unless you want to once everything is ready i will give out the info to contact the law office that is handling the case at that point many thanks to all who have already posted every +1 helps

and lastly (lol I keep editing this) sorry for my spelling and grammar on anything I post i have a learning disability and if spell check dose not get it I can't fix...

Last edited by gjn25; 04-28-2011 at 01:33 PM.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:27 PM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
+1 2009 MCSa

Old 04-27-2011, 07:05 PM
MP1.6T
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The relevant BMW Service bulletin

Just adding this in to thread for info provided by Mini/BMW. BMW's Service Information Bulletin # M11-02-07 dated October 2010 says all R55 and R56's with the N14 (turbo) motor are affected from the very start of production through May 4, 2009. A lot of those bulletins (aka TSB's) were posted in the last month in another thread that I recall.

They avoid talking about defects in the bulletin, and don't mention any superseded parts, nor does realOEM.com show any. That bulletin lays out either replacing the tensioner with the revised one (presumably to deal with some wear), or replacing a lot of the timing chain and tensioner components (with a lot of labor time indicated too) if the wear is too great. Obviously the manufacturer itself publishing a lengthy service bulletin, and even saying advance approval for even the bigger job is not required ['When submitting a warranty claim, please include "replaced per SI M11 02 07" in the
comments section' is what they tell dealers to do], is a strong indicator there is a known problem here. The bulletin confirms it is covered for either new vehicle warranty repairs or for used CPO vehicles while under CPO warranty.

Last edited by MP1.6T; 04-27-2011 at 07:11 PM.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:25 PM
gjn25
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MP1.6T
Just adding this in to thread for info provided by Mini/BMW. BMW's Service Information Bulletin # M11-02-07 dated October 2010 says all R55 and R56's with the N14 (turbo) motor are affected from the very start of production through May 4, 2009. A lot of those bulletins (aka TSB's) were posted in the last month in another thread that I recall.

They avoid talking about defects in the bulletin, and don't mention any superseded parts, nor does realOEM.com show any. That bulletin lays out either replacing the tensioner with the revised one (presumably to deal with some wear), or replacing a lot of the timing chain and tensioner components (with a lot of labor time indicated too) if the wear is too great. Obviously the manufacturer itself publishing a lengthy service bulletin, and even saying advance approval for even the bigger job is not required ['When submitting a warranty claim, please include "replaced per SI M11 02 07" in the
comments section' is what they tell dealers to do], is a strong indicator there is a known problem here. The bulletin confirms it is covered for either new vehicle warranty repairs or for used CPO vehicles while under CPO warranty.
thank you for this that all part of why i m doing what i m doing they need to see that people will not just lay down and that they need to make is right
again thank you! but lets try to keep this a count thread only.

Old 04-27-2011, 07:37 PM
STi2Mini
3rd Gear
There are plenty of threads about this, you're not the first one to start this. But FWIW, +1 07 STILL not fixed after many attempts

Old 04-27-2011, 07:52 PM
Octane
3rd Gear
+1 2009 factory JCW going in for service 4-28-11

Old 04-27-2011, 09:43 PM
kmethchu
1st Gear
Shouldn't this be a recall????

Old 04-27-2011, 09:47 PM
gjn25
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by kmethchu
Shouldn't this be a recall????
that is what my lawyer is trying to push for but until we have a count of people it will not happen!! BMW will not issue a recall till we force them to. thats Why this count is so important

Old 04-27-2011, 09:52 PM
kmethchu
1st Gear
I wish I could post but my car only has not shown that problem yet. Good luck with it!!

Old 04-27-2011, 10:12 PM
reRESERVEDMD
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
+1 Timing chain was even stretched and it was days from breaking...

Old 04-27-2011, 10:16 PM
MédéMazé
1st Gear
Originally Posted by gjn25
if you have had any issues with the anything to do with the timing chain tensioner that may or may not have had to be over hauled completely. please just put a +1 and your minis year in this thread. I'm currently trying to get an idea of how many people have had work done not just think it broken but had work done to fix your issue. I'm currently speaking with a lawyer about this issue trying to see if we can get a class action against BMW for not doing something to fix this witch is an ERROR from manufacturing!!! please I need your help so that all of us can win this together.

thank you

FYI I m not trying to make money off of this suet I m just trying to get all of use a fix that they should have done voluntarily by BMW or at least the same treatment the HP fuel pump extended warranty on fix do to failure.
again thanks to all please just keep this thread a count avoid tilling of story's
just a +1 and your year
Profitez en pour nous rejoindre ici car en France et surtout en Europe , nous nous battons contre PSA Peugeot Citroën et BMW Mini pour qu'ils prennent enfin en charge cette avarie de conception qui date depuis 2007....c'est inadmissible de continuer un moteur EP6 Prince 1.6 THP qui fût créé pour les véhicules de PSA et sur la Mini. NOUS AVONS TOUTES ET TOUS LE MÊME MOTEUR ET CE MOTEUR EST ISSU D'UN PARTENARIAT IMPROBABLE...voilà le résultat ---> http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=108738409151303

Nous avons une pétition internationale ici...venez vous y inscrire pour donner du poid à notre combat commun : http://distributionthp.free.fr/index...n_view_eng.php traduit en anglais

https://spreadsheets.google.com/view...Z2RwbUI4MlE6MQ with https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?...=1&output=html

utilisez le traducteur ou est-ce qu'un membre de bonne volonté veut bien traduire tout cela?

Old 04-27-2011, 10:30 PM
dirtyjersey
1st Gear
I took my car in to get new brakes and told them about the cold start issue. I went to pick up my car and told me that it was more involved than what they initially thought. They ended up replacing, timing chain, tensioner and a few other bits. They said that I was close to blowing the whole motor. I had no issues with them fixing the MINI. Car runs a lot better now.

This was at Universal City Mini in Los Angeles.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:11 PM
MiniBOL
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dirtyjersey
I took my car in to get new brakes and told them about the cold start issue. I went to pick up my car and told me that it was more involved than what they initially thought. They ended up replacing, timing chain, tensioner and a few other bits. They said that I was close to blowing the whole motor. I had no issues with them fixing the MINI. Car runs a lot better now.

This was at Universal City Mini in Los Angeles.
+1 2007 MCS.

took the car in October and the chain tensioner was replaced by Universal City Mini. No problems since then. I do have to say that Universal City Mini's service is really bad!

Old 04-28-2011, 05:55 AM
TBangin23
4th Gear
+1 2007

Hasn't been fixed yet, dealer can't "produce" the sound while there. Only two months left on my warranty too...

Old 04-28-2011, 06:34 AM
BlackMagicMini
2nd Gear
+1 2009 MCS. I am worried my issue is coming back after about 16 months and 15000 miles since full timing chain job was done. When I start car, pull it out of the garage, turn it off for an hour or more, then restart it, I get a timing chain rattle. Doesn't happen with a normal start and drive away, only after a very brief start then sit. Anyone else have this issue?

Old 04-28-2011, 08:04 AM
Maurtis
3rd Gear
+1 2008 MCS, the day after I bought her used I took her to MINI of Austin and they replaced the timing chain tensioner via the TSB. I think the timing chain slack was still within tolerance.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:40 AM
cmt52663
6th Gear
Received 293 Likes on 222 Posts
Originally Posted by gjn25

thank you

just a +1 and your year
http://www.google.com
search string "site:northamericanmotoring.com timing chain"

2,390 results...

I realize this is probably not a welcome observation, but if you are serious about tracking NAM users that have reported the specific issue you are focused on, mining the existing posts might be worth the trouble.

Kind regards,

Charlie

Old 04-28-2011, 08:53 AM
Maurtis
3rd Gear
There is a poll stickied in the "Stock Problems/Issues" section, but labeled "Cold start issues": https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...rt-issues.html

So for those who have had an issue with the timing chain tensioner, be sure to put your vote in the poll. So far only 108 voters, so participation is pretty low...

Old 04-28-2011, 08:55 AM
gjn25
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by cmt52663
http://www.google.com
search string "site:northamericanmotoring.com timing chain"

2,390 results...

I realize this is probably not a welcome observation, but if you are serious about tracking NAM users that have reported the specific issue you are focused on, mining the existing posts might be worth the trouble.

Kind regards,

Charlie
I m trying to go through all the post on nam and other forums as well it just a ton of stuff and there is no tally style count anywhere. That's the point of this thread just a count is all. I m also talking with the dealers around the country to get numbers of repairs they have done.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:37 AM
jeremiahclark77
1st Gear
+1 on 07 MCS. Took the car in with a high rpm miss thinking that it was possibly a weak fuel pump. After a bit of looking they determined that there was no fuel pump issue but that the timing chain tensioner had gone bad allowing just enough slack to put the cams out of time. I was told that it was one of the earliest catches of that problem that they had seen. There was not a cold start rattle just the random miss at high rpm with a stored 2B64 code. Fortunate that I had a MA that was very patient and paid attention to all that I told him.

Old 04-28-2011, 10:30 AM
will I am
1st Gear
+1 07 I had to go thru 3 dealers here in southern California before one agreed to change the tensioner, chain and everything that's involve with the issue. I went 1st at crevieir mini in Santa Ana twice and SA wouldn't budge just say it's normal or low oil. Then went to long beach mini and SA there said it was already replaced before and that I already have the upgraded version of the tensioner. Then I went to irvine mini last week SA said they will check and walla to my surprise they fixed it I told the SA that I've been 2 different dealers already and no luck. Good luck too you guys hope well get a recall for this.

Old 04-28-2011, 12:41 PM
dirtyjersey
1st Gear
Originally Posted by MiniBOL
+1 2007 MCS.

took the car in October and the chain tensioner was replaced by Universal City Mini. No problems since then. I do have to say that Universal City Mini's service is really bad!
Definitely not the best service around. But driving to Irvine (where I bought my car) is way too far. They did the job, took a little longer, but it was done properly. It helps that they are 1 mile from my house though.

Old 04-29-2011, 10:48 AM
dmyer
3rd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
+1 2007 MCS

I had mine replaced two months ago... took it to Sterling Mini in Virginia - great service - the treat me great and I did not even buy the car there - though I would in the future! No questions asked - simply took my word and replaced everything associated with the timing chain including the nuts and bolts - they did measure and it was out of spec! Sounds and runs great since.

Dan

Old 04-30-2011, 06:15 AM
scbimmer
Neutral
+1 2007 MCS

Took mine to Mini of Charleston (SC) will less an a week left under warranty to have a number of misc warranty issues resolved. I ask them about tensioner issues and that mine "rattled" when I started it (worst when cold). They said they would check it. They found that the tensioner was out of tollerance. They corrected and now there is no more rattling when I start it and I fill that it runs a bit better.

I don't say this often about a dealer, but the service I've received at Mini of Charleston has been outstanding. I bought the car used elsewhere but they have been great!

Old 05-02-2011, 08:48 AM
Tess
4th Gear
+1 2007 MC
Mine just quit running while going down the interstate. It is currently at the dealership. They told me Saturday that the tensioner and timing chain broke, minimum $3500 to repair and they are currently diving into the engine to see if there is further damage. I have a call into Customer Relations to see if they will extend the courtesy of fixing this. I'm not holding my breathe, but I will not give up!
If anyone has had a luck getting this issue fixed while out of warranty, and has any advice please email me tessalmond@gmail.com

UPDATE

They did find further damage, cracked drive belt and metal shavings in the oil. total bill was over $4200. MINI customer relations refused to assist with repairs because "this is a known issue with the S model, not yours". My response to that was 'obviously it IT IS a problem with mine". The customer service rep (jodi) offered to escalate my complaint, and I told her yes.. please do. The dealership gave me 20% off, for a grand total of $3,460. I got m car back on a Friday, and last Thursday, the check engine light came on so I tool it to a local tech for diagnosis. the problem... TIMING !!! So I called the dealership, and subsequently had MINI Roadside service arrange to have it towed back to the dealership. The dealership also agree to have a loaner brought to me this time instead of me having to take the 2 hour drive with the tow truck. The found more debris in the oil, cleared it out again and changed the oil again. I got it back last night and so far so good.

BUT, I'm still out $3,460 plus $80 for the diagnostics with the local technician.

I submitte another inquiry through the MINI USA website and recieved a call from someone (not same person i previously dealt with). this guy had an obvious attitude saying that he sees that I'd already contacted them and it had been reviewed and MINI wasn't going to do anything so 'what is it I can help you with'.

So.. now the work is under warranty (parts and labor) for 2 years, so at least if it happens again I'm covered. BUT, my 4 year roadside service ends at the end of June, and I live 150 miles from the dealership. GRRRRR

Last edited by Tess; 05-25-2011 at 06:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Timing chain issues