Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Auto up windows stopped...help

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 07:37 PM
slimjimtell
5th Gear
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
Auto up windows stopped...help

My one touch window up on the passenger side has stopped working. Any I dea how to get it back functional.

Driver side works up and down.

Passenger side window does auto down, it will go up, but you have to now hold the switch.

Any thoughts?

Old 04-24-2011, 07:58 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
3 things you can do...
1) Make sure you are not "holding" the switch, with the Doors Closed just nudge the Passenger Window Toggle Switch
2) Do the Up/Down for 30sec. to Recycle the Switches
If neither of those work then move on to #3
3) Visit your local MINI Dealer they will have to "reinitialize" the Windows

This is/or was a common problem, sad to see it has not been addressed in the Newer Versions

Sorry

Old 04-24-2011, 09:33 PM
10Zero
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Insert the fob, hold both window toggles "down" at the same time until the windows are fully open.

Pop the fob out, then back in again, hold both toggles "up" until fully closed.

Pop the fob out, then back in again...you should have auto up/down again.

The following 4 users liked this post by 10Zero:
aabcds (12-30-2019), gr8scott_o (09-08-2018), MiniS08 (01-11-2018), potzer (02-03-2022)
Old 04-25-2011, 04:24 AM
slimjimtell
5th Gear
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
GENIUS!

Thanks, worked!

Originally Posted by 10Zero
Insert the fob, hold both window toggles "down" at the same time until the windows are fully open.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:23 PM
10Zero
5th Gear
Old 10-02-2011, 07:50 PM
CRollins
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for this. My DS window wasn't going up when the door was shut and I was dreading a trip to the dealer on the other side of town. You saved me the trip.

Old 10-05-2011, 05:07 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Well I am not happy that I tried this. Sounded promising but well it actually made the problem worse. Mine is a 2008 Clubman

Before I tired this passenger window would not auto up but it did stall all the way up. Now after trying this the window rolls back down 1/2 way every time it gets to the top. I know have to stop the window about 1/4" from all the way up to have it stay.

So now I MUST go to the dealer to which is something i had planned on any way but was not a MUST do and now with the window refusing to stay up it has become a MUST do.

So to those that try this beware it may not work and may make your problem worse.

Old 10-05-2011, 05:59 AM
rhawth99
6th Gear
Schatzy:
Had this problem two days ago with my driver window. The window goes up to the closed position and then reverses itself. I tried this several times and could only manage to stop it so it was slightly opened. Fortunately, from reading NAM, I knew how to fix this. You hold the toggle down for a few seconds after the window has gone down completely and then hold the toggle up for a few seconds after the window has closed completely. This resets the limits for up and down. I did this with the car running. Hope this helps.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:36 AM
blasman
Neutral
If I remember correctly, to reset the windows you first need to remove the power window fuse (which I don't remember the fuse number), then after the fuse is removed, start the car and operate the window switches (the windows won't do anything at this point since the fuse is removed). Turn off the car. Replace the fuse. Turn the car back on. The auto up and down won't work at all now. Now you need to cycle the windows up and down 2 times, keeping the window switch held an additional 3 seconds after the window is fully open or closed.
This should reset the auto open/close.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:44 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by rhawth99
Schatzy:
Had this problem two days ago with my driver window. The window goes up to the closed position and then reverses itself. I tried this several times and could only manage to stop it so it was slightly opened. Fortunately, from reading NAM, I knew how to fix this. You hold the toggle down for a few seconds after the window has gone down completely and then hold the toggle up for a few seconds after the window has closed completely. This resets the limits for up and down. I did this with the car running. Hope this helps.
You are very correct in all that you have said but it DOES NOT always work and way back in 2008 I personally was one of the first to note the procudeure you have stated above. And it has helped numerous people and my self a few times but the way the system works sometimes the Data in the CCC gets so messed up it can not be corrected without a "reprogram" by the dealer.

But Thanks for the suggestion. and maybe it will help someone else reading this thread.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:59 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by blasman
If I remember correctly, to reset the windows you first need to remove the power window fuse (which I don't remember the fuse number), then after the fuse is removed, start the car and operate the window switches (the windows won't do anything at this point since the fuse is removed). Turn off the car. Replace the fuse. Turn the car back on. The auto up and down won't work at all now. Now you need to cycle the windows up and down 2 times, keeping the window switch held an additional 3 seconds after the window is fully open or closed.
This should reset the auto open/close.
blasman,

Removing the fuses in NOT part of the MINI Window Reset procedure. The procedure is as rhawth99 said except that MINI states "hold down for 5 or more seconds" and then "hold up for 5 or more seconds".

But at this point wiling to try anything I tried removing the fuses and well now the drivers window no longer works properly and will not auto down or up.

So again for those that are trying to figure this hole window thing out. There are times that the programing in the car is screwed up bad enough that the car will have to go to the dealer to be re-programed.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:12 AM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

This is NOT the proper initialization procedure!!!!!

The following is right from the MINI TIS bulletin:

1. Close the window and door fully.
  2. Lower the window by holding the switch in the "down" position. Continue to hold the switch down for at least 5 seconds after the window has been fully lowered.
  3. Raise the window by holding the switch in the "fully up" position. Continue to hold the switch in the up position for at least 5 seconds after the window has been fully raised.
  4. Repeat steps 1 to 3 for the window on the other side.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...8-post237.html

The following users liked this post:
OldElvis (07-13-2017)
Old 10-05-2011, 09:19 AM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Originally Posted by schatzy62
the car will have to go to the dealer to be re-programed.
That is so annoying! My car has need a reprogram a few times! Hopefully, this will be your only trip to the dealer. The new code for the FRM module does seem to be a lot better for me. I have gone over a year and half with no issue. A BMW SA told me to "auto down" and "auto up" cycle the windows every few weeks. The dipper process apparently can cause drift in the hall sensor rotational count, thus throwing the FRM out of whack. Cycling the windows supposedly resets that count.

Old 10-05-2011, 10:59 AM
blasman
Neutral
This is from the online PAY MINI system:

67 62 ... Notes on initializing power window Warning!
Risk of injury!
There is no anti-trapping protection during initialization.

An initialization must be performed:
  • [*]
Initialization is performed on the power window switch of the relevant door.
Requirements for correct initialization:
  • [*]

Initialization comprises:
  • [*]
Erasure of initialization:
  • [*]
This clears initialization of the power window. Anti-trapping protection and one-touch control (toll) function are inactive.
Check whether one-touch control (toll) function is inactive, otherwise repeat procedure.

Reinitialization:
  • [*]
This completes initialization.
Note:
Carry out function check (one-touch control function, anti-trapping protection and, if necessary, comfort function).

Note:
The power window can also be initialized in the BMW diagnosis system by means of a diagnosis job.

blasman,

Removing the fuses in NOT part of the MINI Window Reset procedure. The procedure is as rhawth99 said except that MINI states "hold down for 5 or more seconds" and then "hold up for 5 or more seconds".

But at this point wiling to try anything I tried removing the fuses and well now the drivers window no longer works properly and will not auto down or up.

So again for those that are trying to figure this hole window thing out. There are times that the programing in the car is screwed up bad enough that the car will have to go to the dealer to be re-programed.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:51 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by strobeyprobey
That is so annoying! My car has need a reprogram a few times! Hopefully, this will be your only trip to the dealer. The new code for the FRM module does seem to be a lot better for me. I have gone over a year and half with no issue. A BMW SA told me to "auto down" and "auto up" cycle the windows every few weeks. The dipper process apparently can cause drift in the hall sensor rotational count, thus throwing the FRM out of whack. Cycling the windows supposedly resets that count.
That is the same explanation I have heard from my local dealer. And lucky for me this is the first time i have had to actually have a "re-program" Unfortunate for me with 82K+ on my 2008 clubman I will have to pay for it and then i will also loose all the custom programing for the sunroof, flashers, passenger seat, etc that had been done. I really need to find someone in New England that has NCS Expert and a computer that they can add the changes back in for me. Although I may see if the dealer will do it while programing the car, they are good about mods at my dealer. Now just to get the appointment and drive the 80 miles each way. But it will be a good day in Boston if it is not raining.

Old 10-05-2011, 12:06 PM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
That is the same explanation I have heard from my local dealer. And lucky for me this is the first time i have had to actually have a "re-program" Unfortunate for me with 82K+ on my 2008 clubman I will have to pay for it and then i will also loose all the custom programing for the sunroof, flashers, passenger seat, etc that had been done. I really need to find someone in New England that has NCS Expert and a computer that they can add the changes back in for me. Although I may see if the dealer will do it while programing the car, they are good about mods at my dealer. Now just to get the appointment and drive the 80 miles each way. But it will be a good day in Boston if it is not raining.
Darn! I hope they don't charge you too much. I am just about out of warranty myself (48k) and I picked up a J2534 tool so I can do the flashing at home with minitechinfo.com if and when this window issue creeps up again. The dealer update will clear out all of the changes you have done, UNLESS they were changes to the Vehicle Order. Like the seat belt chimes can be done with both trace files and VO changes. I sort of doubt the dealer will be able to help you make those changes, but it never hurts to ask!

Old 10-05-2011, 08:07 PM
10Zero
5th Gear
Originally Posted by strobeyprobey
This is NOT the proper initialization procedure!!!!!
Wow! Slow the roll...no need to get so upset. What I posted has worked a couple of times for me on my 2010 in the past to reset the auto up that mysteriously quit working....and it worked for several others here on NAM in the past. Keep in mind, it was only resetting the auto up that would quit and nothing to do with dippers etc.

Really am glad you found something else through a tech bulletin. But it's pretty much saying the same thing....but adding 5 seconds to each cycle.

Like so many other things in this world, there are alternative ways to get the same result...doesn't mean the alternative is incorrect. Worked for me, and worked for several others. And never claimed it to be the "correct" procedure, just one that worked.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:09 PM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Oh no, not upset! Just trying to make sure everyone is on the same page and not causing some sort of issues doing a procedure the wrong way!! :-)

Old 10-05-2011, 08:26 PM
10Zero
5th Gear
You're right, don't want that happening....might blow out the windows if one were to hit a switch at the inappropriate time. But more than likely...the procedure would just fail to correct the problem. But it's just a guess, I'm not the expert.

Thanks for letting everyone know, it's definately wrong to do it the way I did. I actually got it from someone else on the board back in the day, and it worked for me.

And actually, my response was to the OP who had one side quit working for the auto up...like me. The OP posted back, and said it worked...so no harm, no foul.

Last edited by 10Zero; 10-05-2011 at 08:42 PM.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:45 PM
conrad0102
2nd Gear

If I never had "auto up" to begin with will this initiate it? I'm in a 07 MCS JCW stage 1. I read somewhere you could take it to the dealer and they could re-program it to do so along with auto-off A/C and then have the windows roll up and sunroof go down via fob.

Old 12-14-2011, 05:38 PM
d@g
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by rhawth99
Schatzy:
Tried this "fix" for my driver's window as well, but alas, it did not work. There's a TSB about this problem. The fix is a re-flash of the computer from the dealer. When I called, they knew right away about the problem. No voodoo self-fixes would work. After they re-flashed the comp, the window worked just fine (but I lost all my !@#$% settings, so I had reconfigure auto-locks, DRLs, alarm, etc.).

One huge telltale sign that the problem needed a computer adjustment was that my window open-close 1/4" drop did not work. That meant that the window, if up when the door was open, would get caught on the rain drip edge and not fully close. PITA in rain or car-wash.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:24 AM
Tox_boy
Neutral
For what its worth i did the down up key fob fix and it worked.

Old 12-19-2011, 01:03 PM
alexs3d2
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
To those of you who have an NCSExpert setup, you can reinitialize the windows using Tool32. Unfortunately INPA does not expose the function, so you need to hunt down for it in Tool32.

The good thing is, you can tell it to do at both windows and the process is fully automatic: the windows will open and close by themselves no toggling with the switches necessary.

Instructions:
-Open Tool32 (cable must be connected to the car)
-Load "FRM_70.prg" from EDIABAS\ECU folder
-Select "steuern_fensterheber_einlernen" in the "Select Job" window
-Enter "21" in the "Arguments" window
-Double-click the job "steuern_fensterheber_einlernen" so it executes

Old 12-19-2011, 03:57 PM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
It can be done with INPA! See below. :-)

Last edited by strobeyprobey; 12-19-2011 at 06:45 PM.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:44 PM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear

Quick Reply: Auto up windows stopped...help