MINI Cooper MINI Cooper specs

Go Back   North American Motoring > 2nd Generation MINIs > Stock Problems/Issues
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to North American Motoring !
Welcome to North American Motoring,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

» Latest Main Topics
From 60's muscle to mini
16 Replies, 269 Views
Tigger 2.0
34 Replies, 1,182 Views
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2011, 02:28 PM
1st Gear

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Gallery
CEL Code P1497 & engine stuttering at idle

Our '07 MCS was throwing this code and stuttered BAD at idle from time to time. It would get really herky jerky cruising from light to light in town. A couple of weeks ago it wouldn't start. I thought we'd jump start it and be on our way but I was WRONG!! It would crank but never seemed to be getting gas. We bought an extended warranty so I took it to the dealer (Non-MINI).

They couldn't figure it out so they sent it off to the MINI dealer. They determined that the battery was dead :( and said it was ok after a charge. A few hours later they discovered the stutter at idle and kept investigating. A couple of days later they figured out that there was a cracked valve cover. I think they also said that they cleaned the intake valves but I'm not sure about that.

Anyway, we got the car back today and it is running better than ever. It seems like this cracked valve cover had been there since we bought it (4 months/ 3k miles ago). My moral of the story is that if you are getting a P1497 code and rough idle you might want to check the valve cover

My independent mechanic had checked it out a couple of months ago and found the 'un-metered air leak' but couldn't figure out where it was coming from. I'm hoping this solves our problems.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:43 AM
5th Gear

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Gallery
Yes, that is exactly what I have. The dealer couldnt find it, I even told them it sounds like a cracked valve cover (there is a new vacuum leak sound).

I am very unhappy with mini service.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:11 AM
1st Gear

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Gallery
I've been getting the same code. My cooper isn't that bad as it always starts, but the code comes back every time I turn it off and sometimes a get P2187 as well telling me something about a boost leak. Talked to a mech friend and he thinks its the cover as well, I just wish it was a $400 part since we're not %100 sure...
Old 09-12-2012, 10:11 AM