MINI Cooper MINI Cooper specs

Go Back   North American Motoring > 2nd Generation MINIs > Stock Problems/Issues
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to North American Motoring !
Welcome to North American Motoring,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

» Latest Main Topics
Best Mini MPG
14 Replies, 379 Views
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2011, 09:47 PM
Neutral

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Gallery
Have to reset TPMS again and again and again...

Ok. Got new wheels and tires with aftermarket TPMS. I did the reset and got confirmation that the TPMS was reset and it is active. Turn car off and when I turn it back on, it says need to reset again. If i ignore the message, everything looks good, TPMS is still active and no warning light. However, turn the car off again and back, I get the same message over and over and over...everytime I turn the car on. Anyone else have this problem? getting tired of the message and resetting the system just for it to say I need to do it again after I turn the engine off! Thanks for any help here! I do have the factory NAV if this helps and I did the reset through the display.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:28 AM
6th Gear

Gallery
Are you sure you don't have a low tire?

If not, you could have a low battery in one of the wheel sensors.....

What year is your car?

Different years require different sensors - it's not one size fits all.

'80 Mini Clubman Estate

'09 LB/LB Clubman S
'69 Jaguar XK-E
'04 Audi Allroad Twin-Turbo
Old 01-23-2011, 08:00 AM
6th Gear

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Gallery
To reset the TPMS you do need to drive it a bit. I just did this yesterday after a rotation and the light came on, so I reset it and after a mile or so it went away.
2010 CR/B MCCSa HK, USB/BT, LightInSight, 20% tint + sunroof, Black LED side markers, Black beltline, AC handles (4), PULSAR, shorty ant, JCW Grill Surround, and Hsport Comp RSB (25.5mm). Custom HornBlasters Conductor's Special 232 w/ 4 gal pancake tank. 2nd cat & resonator delete. PlastiDiped: headlight rings, inside of headlights, gas cap, wheels(R110), badges, scuttles, & exhaust tips.
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Wagon, Thunder Grey Chromaflair, all options but sunroof.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:05 AM
4th Gear

Gallery
Per prior post, what year car?

2010 and later vehicle sensors are different part numbers than 2007-2009.

As me how I know...

Who made sensors also? If not Beru (the OEM supplier), that may be your answer as well--as in, get different sensors.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:48 PM
Neutral

Gallery
tire pressure is 38 psi in all tires. I does take 3-4 miles to reset and make the TPMS active which I thought was a little too long. Every time I kill the ignition it says set tire pressures. However, the malfunction light does not come on. If i hit the back button and check the TPMS status, it says active. Very strange. I think its an issue with the aftermarket sensors, which I do not even know which ones I have at this time. I'll call my dealer and find out. I just find it strange that it does reset and its active but only till the ignition is turned off. My local MINI dealer is going to test the communication next week as well when they try to find out whats up with my USB connection.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:29 AM
7th gear, better than 6th

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Gallery
As stated the 2010+ cars use a different sensor with a different frequency. The sensors are $380ish for the set vs <$200 for the older style... I got them from TireRack along with the winter wheels and snow tires, and haven't had any problems.

Thanks BMW...
RMW tuning, Alta fmic, WMW bypass, Quaife LSD, OCC, Koni, TSW springs, H-sport rear bar, AFE filter, JL Audio 10TW3-4/xd300.1, FES Auto-sport, FES anti glare gauge face, Scanguage2, Rennline door pulls, pedal set, wing lip, carbon gas cover, shorty antenna, NM short shift adapter and cover, torque arm insert, Cocomats, V1, Light in sight, JCW exhaust.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:03 PM
Neutral

Gallery
thanks for the info on the sensors. I got a call into the dealer that sold me the sensors to find out which model and brand they are. Mine is a 09 club so hopefully they didnt send one for 2010 models.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:41 PM
6th Gear

Gallery
I am having the same or a similar issue. The horseshoe/exclamation point symbol shows up frequently. TPMS shows active and I have ensured it indicated RESET and then have driven to allow it to work, but it never seems to permanently solve the issue. Often, if I do nothing, it will turn off the warning light spontaneously while sitting still--nothing I am doing. It always goes off after a few yards of driving if I do nothing more.

I have OEM sensors.

This happened the previous time I rotated the tires. Eventually, it did reset and stayed fine for 5k miles. Now, voila! It's baaaack.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:17 PM
1st Gear

Gallery
dang 350+ for a kit of TPMS....all new cars are beginnging to get these systems now. i think they are freaking annoying. i would rather not have it and save some money,

the usually old school push the tires with my thumb once a month always works
Old 03-24-2012, 02:31 PM
6th Geared

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to JPMM
Gallery
ever figure out the problem?

ever figure out the problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrcaniglia View Post
I am having the same or a similar issue. The horseshoe/exclamation point symbol shows up frequently. TPMS shows active and I have ensured it indicated RESET and then have driven to allow it to work, but it never seems to permanently solve the issue. Often, if I do nothing, it will turn off the warning light spontaneously while sitting still--nothing I am doing. It always goes off after a few yards of driving if I do nothing more.

I have OEM sensors.

This happened the previous time I rotated the tires. Eventually, it did reset and stayed fine for 5k miles. Now, voila! It's baaaack.
Old 03-24-2012, 07:49 PM
6th Gear

Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardsperry View Post
As stated the 2010+ cars use a different sensor with a different frequency. The sensors are $380ish for the set vs <$200 for the older style... I got them from TireRack along with the winter wheels and snow tires, and haven't had any problems.

Thanks BMW...
My local Discount Tire store is selling me the 2010+ sensors for $280.00. So look around the pricing can be competitive.
2012 JCW CR Coupe,Cold Weather Pkg,Dash Surface in CR,Prem Pkg,All Mirrors Auto Dim,17" Challenge Spoke Black Wheels,Alarm,Black Headlamps,H/K Sound,BT/USB, Arm Rest,JCW Strut Brace,LL Championship Red Seats,Rear Fog
Old 03-25-2012, 04:45 AM
7th gear, better than 6th

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Gallery
The sensors are much cheaper now than when I got them.
RMW tuning, Alta fmic, WMW bypass, Quaife LSD, OCC, Koni, TSW springs, H-sport rear bar, AFE filter, JL Audio 10TW3-4/xd300.1, FES Auto-sport, FES anti glare gauge face, Scanguage2, Rennline door pulls, pedal set, wing lip, carbon gas cover, shorty antenna, NM short shift adapter and cover, torque arm insert, Cocomats, V1, Light in sight, JCW exhaust.
Old 03-25-2012, 05:50 AM
6th Geared

Gallery
looks like I'll have to get fresh ones, OEM or aftermarket?
Old 03-25-2012, 05:52 AM
6th Gear

Gallery
Havent' had issues with mine since I changed wheels/tires and purchased new TPMS's but out of curiosity, if you just DON'T put them in what's the worst that can happen? You just have the TPMS light all the time?
Old 03-26-2012, 06:53 PM
6th Geared

Gallery
after about 4 resets ,now its not throwing codes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPMM View Post
Old 03-27-2012, 05:46 PM
6th Geared

Gallery
screw it the codes came back,I'll order new TPMS tomorrow
Old 03-27-2012, 06:34 PM
4th Gear

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to teamrubixcube
Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by drsimmons View Post
Havent' had issues with mine since I changed wheels/tires and purchased new TPMS's but out of curiosity, if you just DON'T put them in what's the worst that can happen? You just have the TPMS light all the time?
On 07's with a rubber valve stem you don't need a sensor inside the tire. I am VERY VERY thankful my car qualifies. Just a sensor similar to the 1st gen MINIs. It's not as precise as the 'in-tire' sensors but gets the job done. Metal valve stems then you are out of luck

2007 MCS : SOLD
Old 04-02-2012, 09:16 PM
6th Geared

Gallery
Bought a set from Tire Rack like the ones they installed in my snow tires/wheels. They auto reset in a block and have been trouble free

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPMM View Post
Old 04-02-2012, 09:16 PM