MINI Cooper MINI Cooper specs

Go Back   North American Motoring > 2nd Generation MINIs > Stock Problems/Issues
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to North American Motoring !
Welcome to North American Motoring,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

» Latest Main Topics
chrono pack to nav pack
by scoopy
10 Replies, 161 Views
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2010, 12:36 PM
4th Gear

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Gallery
Water Pump Leak on 2008 Cooper w/56,000 Miles!

I noticed the other day my coolant level was low - two quarts low!
Luckily no engine overheat.
Jacked it up, took the wheel well cover out and looked around.
The water pump is leaking!
That's way too early, and the first time I had one leak on me since I started driving - and that's been a long time.

Is this a common problem?

Sadly, the car is out of warranty and without a Bentley manual (which of course doesn't exist) I don't know if I'd feed good about trying to replace it. (It has that friction wheel thing.) I've done several timing belt with water pump changes on a VW diesel, but that was with good documentation, tools, and time.

Has anyone else out there gone through this?
Could a non-dealer mechanic do this (again, the friction wheel)?

Thanks.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:59 PM
5th Gear

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Gallery
56,000...nice. My 2010 sprung a water pump leak at 3500 miles. Fortunately for me is was a warranty repair.

2006 R53, 6spd, Pepper White/Black Roof.
Harmon Kardon, Premium/Sport/Convenience
Packages. MSD Coils and Wires, K/N CAI.
Old 11-11-2010, 04:09 PM
1st Gear

Gallery
Yes. I have a 2007 S with 41K. Noticed the low coolant and fluid on my garage floor. Took it in and, yes, it was the water pump. Thankfully, covered under warranty.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:59 AM
6th Gear

Gallery
If you have a good dealer they may try to get you a discount from MINI since you are very close to the warranty period.

The minitechinfo.com site may have the procedure for changing the water pump (it should). But it costs $30 to find out if it does have it.

You could also ask your dealer to print it out for you, they certainly may do that. If you order the part from the dealer they probably would (Morristown MINI sent me a PDF for the bluetooth install no problem). If you get the instructions you can evaluate if you want to tear into it or take it in.
Mods: Retrofit factory Bluetooth USB $6ND, Retrofit IBOC HD Radio $644, Retrofit HK amp $674, Retrofit Factory Armrest $473, Reprogrammed comfort closing & always show digital speed & fogs on with HB & no seat belt reminder & city lights are DRL, * PLX OBDII
DM-200 OLED digital gauge in Alta pod
Old 11-12-2010, 10:59 AM
4th Gear

Gallery
Yes, getting the instructions is key.
I ordered the Ebay disk, but if it's like the BMW disk I bought some years ago, it probably won't be worth it.
Judging from what I've seen so far, the friction wheel might have to be manually disengaged before the water pump pully can be removed, but I have no idea.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:06 PM
6th Gear

Gallery
I have the TIS at home from eBay, I am not sure if that has the water pump procedure as that is from late 2007 before the R56 was even sold.
Mods: Retrofit factory Bluetooth USB $6ND, Retrofit IBOC HD Radio $644, Retrofit HK amp $674, Retrofit Factory Armrest $473, Reprogrammed comfort closing & always show digital speed & fogs on with HB & no seat belt reminder & city lights are DRL, * PLX OBDII
DM-200 OLED digital gauge in Alta pod
Old 11-12-2010, 01:34 PM
4th Gear

Gallery
I managed to download a version as well - will try to install tonight. Am picking up a pump at the MINI dealer tonight. Big question I think is how to park the friction wheel in the non-contact position.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:25 AM
2nd Gear

Gallery
The friction wheel has a pull tab that allows it to be put into 'service' mode so that the water pump pulley and pump itself can be removed. it is in the lower right hand corner of the friction wheel. pull it out and there is a slit in the band that will attacht to the friction wheel
Old 11-13-2010, 03:28 PM
2nd Gear

Gallery
My water pump made it about 33,000 miles before it needed to be replaced. Good luck with your replacement, I hope it goes smoothly!
Old 11-13-2010, 05:37 PM
4th Gear

Gallery
My water pump was just replaced at 28,000 miles, as well as the timing chain tensioner and valve cover.

Chris
PW Peerage # 6366
Old 12-22-2010, 03:14 PM
2nd Gear

Gallery
Garage
another water pump replacement

Just had mine replaced at 35k under warranty. I had noticed dribbles on the garage floor and started getting intermittent over temp warnings. I hope the new one lasts longer because my warranty is up in April.
Mods: DDM Works Race Intake, Helix FMIC, nm boost tubes, springs, swaybar, torque arm and heatshield, BSH OCC, Forge diverter valve, Alta 3" dual-cat turboback w/ added Moroso spiralflow, Aquamist/Howerton HFS-4 WMI, OS Giken GT clutch and LSD
RMW dyno tune 235whp 260wtq
Old 12-22-2010, 03:50 PM
4th Gear

Gallery
I never updated my post. I managed to replace the pump that weekend. Very tight. I removed the entire friction wheel assembly, using a long-handle wrench, but I don't know if that was necessary; maybe just the wheel would've done it. Changing the serpentine belt was actually pretty easy. I already had the front right side on a jack stand and I used a smaller hydraulic jack to push a rubber mallet with the handle pushing on the spring loaded wheel until it locked. Very easy.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:22 PM
4th Gear

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Gallery
I'm not sure if there are 3rd party water pumps available, but many OEM parts in a MINI are from cheaper manufacturers with variable quality control.

If you can get a better quality 3rd party water pump that will fit, I would do that.

2010 Clubman S - British Racing Green/Black roof; 6-Speed manual; Sports Package; Premium Package; Hot Chocolate Interior/cloth & leather seats; 17" web spoke rims w/ Dunlop SP Signature Sport 205/45R17 non-run flats; Koni FSD shocks/struts; H-sport 19mm rear sway bar; Madness Poly front control arm bushings; Carbotech Bobcat brake pads; Velocity Throttle Booster; Robin Casady shift ****
Old 12-28-2010, 10:22 PM