Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Help! Lease return and warranty questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 08:47 AM
phantasms
5th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Help! Lease return and warranty questions

I'm returning my leased mini soon.

I'm almost out of my warranty as far as the miles go.

What I want to know is if you return a lease, that's over miles on warranty, do you have to pay for the repairs? Just mechanical things like transmission acting funny or the engine acting weird. Things that would be covered under warranty normally but if it's returned out of warranty, again, do you have to pay for the repairs?

Thank you!

I'm most curious about the final answer and not the obvious answer of don't go over the miles or bring it to them now. Thanks!

Old 12-27-2010, 11:16 AM
mtbscott
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Your lease term and the factory warranty have nothing to do with each other. Read the terms of your lease for what is allowable on the vehicle's return re: wear and tear. In general terms, it will have specific info on the condition of the tires, amount of body and interior damage that's considered normal, etc. Mechanical problems shouldn't be an issue....well unless you have to have it towed in. If you ask your local dealer, you may be able to get a "pre-inspection" before turning it in so there will be no surprises.

Old 12-27-2010, 03:16 PM
jaridp
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You need to return the car in good mechanical condition. If you return the car with issues such as check engine lights or running poor....I would expect them to charge you for the diagnosis and repair.

Old 12-27-2010, 07:48 PM
onefish2
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
More than likely they will not even turn the car on or check the engine. When I turned in my leased BMW 330xi at the BMW dealer down the road from the MINI dealer, all they did was walk around the car and ask for all the keys back.

Same thing for the return on a 2004 Chrysler Town 7 Country. Someone came to my house to inspect the car. They did not turn the car on or check and mechanicals. All the inspector looked for was damage to the body and interior and the tread left on the tires.

I am sure you will be just fine.