Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Random creaking noise from steering

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 11:46 AM
minimize07
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Random creaking noise from steering

Ok...My MCS '07 w/ 48,000 mi. has recently developed a random creaking noise when either turning the wheel coming to a stop or just when starting up to back out of my parking space.As stated this is very random noise.I can go days and never hear it...Strange?!?!?Has anyone ever had this problem?

Old 10-23-2010, 12:51 PM
timfitz63
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sound anything like the one posted in this thread?

If so, post #3 provides the apparent answer.

Old 10-23-2010, 01:36 PM
minimize07
4th Gear
Yup, thats the noise...But it sounds like the fix is on the MC.Mines a MCS

Old 10-23-2010, 01:53 PM
timfitz63
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by minimize07
Yup, thats the noise...But it sounds like the fix is on the MC. Mines a MCS
Hmmm. Hadn't noted that...

I guess I would still check into the indicated area with your dealer or independent mechanic (if out of warranty); it's possible that the service bulletin may have been expanded to cover the Cooper S as well; I don't know whether the automatic transmission is the same in both vehicles...? Or maybe you're just one of the first Cooper S owners to experience this problem...?

Either way, it still may be a viable fix if it's the transmission mount that's the culprit...

Old 10-23-2010, 02:01 PM
minimize07
4th Gear
I think I'll post and see if anyone out there knows if they use the same trans set up in the MC.

Old 10-23-2010, 06:15 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My 07 MCS had a transmission mount bulletin. I don't think this issue is only MC's.

Old 10-23-2010, 07:16 PM
Chris G
3rd Gear
Manuals or automatics or both?

Old 10-23-2010, 08:19 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Mine is a manual.

Old 10-23-2010, 08:43 PM
Chris G
3rd Gear
Just curious because mine has developed a creaking noise from I start from a stop or am backing up. Only notice it when I release the clutch - this mount may have something to do with it.

Old 10-31-2010, 09:25 AM
JohnnyF
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Chris G
Just curious because mine has developed a creaking noise from I start from a stop or am backing up. Only notice it when I release the clutch - this mount may have something to do with it.
I have this exact same problem. I've seen the other threads talking about the spring in the clutch pedal assembly but have occasionally heard the same noise on low-speed steering.

Old 10-31-2010, 10:26 AM
Chris G
3rd Gear
Starting to get annoyed with the car - sound keeps coming and going. Hard to believe I haven't hit 30k miles and it sounds like it's falling apart.

Old 11-01-2010, 03:58 PM
minimize07
4th Gear
Ok ,went to dealer to find out what was making this creaking noise when randomly turning the steering wheel going slowly. They drove it around for a bit and no noise. Took car home and turned wheel going into my parking spot and there was the creaking sound again What is making this do this so randomly ?Should I force the issue and have the dealer check the cv joints?, trans mount?,etc.........

Old 11-01-2010, 05:30 PM
Chris G
3rd Gear
Tell them to keep it until they hear it and to give you a loaner

Old 11-01-2010, 05:46 PM
minimize07
4th Gear
Starting to get annoyed with the car - sound keeps coming and going. Hard to believe I haven't hit 30k miles and it sounds like it's falling apart.
Haven't had a problem with mine until this noise.Hope this is'nt the start of more things to come I'm approaching 50.000 mi.{1500 mi away from it)and my warranty ends.I was talking to my SA and he told me that congress is going to pass the 15% ethanol in gas, uh oh there goes are sludge problems in the D/I enginesI love my car but the more I'm hearing in these turbo engine Minis and they're problems,I don't know if it will make it to 100.000 as my Audi had .I just don't want to dump alot$$$ into it.

Old 11-01-2010, 06:02 PM
Chris G
3rd Gear
I'm in the same boat, bud. I bought my MINI used from the dealership I worked at. Got a great deal - fully loaded S, low miles, certified pre-owned, the whole works. When I test drove it, the thing was silent - dead freakin' silent. I put about 3-4k (total of about 25k) on it and all of the sudden the thing started sounding plain broken. My sunroof rattles horribly. My window, when closed makes tons of noise, and there are many noises coming from the back seat/boot area. With that, came more - timing tensioner started making tons of noise, as did the clutch and flywheel. I received both fixes (chain tensioner fix, and a new transmission/clutch/flywheel under warranty, but it was more annoying than anything. My car was under the knife for 2 weeks in a month.

Now, I love my car too. It is tons of fun to drive. Probably the most daily fun I've had driving a car. I want to mod it more than I have already (springs and swaybar) but I seriously can't justify it. Every day I wonder what's going to happen next, so why should I dump money into it?

Old 11-01-2010, 06:16 PM
minimize07
4th Gear
You've had a ton of problems.... and your right is it a smart thing to put good money after bad and another problem starts (out of warranty)What does one do?

Old 11-01-2010, 06:20 PM
Chris G
3rd Gear
Sadly I've been thinking about getting a different car but can't decide what would be close to as fun as the MINI. I wouldn't say I've had a ton of problems, but it's enough to make me not trust the car. All of the other cars I've had, some highly modified, never gave me problems like this.

Forgive me for venting in your thread

Old 11-01-2010, 06:37 PM
minimize07
4th Gear
Your right, there's not another car with its character/ performance like it.But I have to look at long term realiability.Honda,Nissan,and yeah Toyota

Old 11-01-2010, 06:48 PM
Chris G
3rd Gear
I've been thinking about going to check out the Civic SI, but have been putting it off for some reason. Also was interested in the new GTI, but VW reliability has me worried. I do not want to end up with another situation like this.

Old 11-05-2010, 12:29 PM
outlawmedic
1st Gear
I have an 08 Clubman that developed this same noise at about 30K miles. It was a deep creaking noise heard on very slow speed turns when the wheel was turned rack to rack, like when parking. I thought it may have been the fact was making a 3 point turn on a washed out road about a month before and got one of the front wheels off the ground during the turn. I thought I may have stretched some of the suspension components or something. I am still under warranty so the dealership replaces a steering arm, (I think I am remembering correctly). Noise got better then returned. Long story short, the second time at the dealership they diagnosed rust in the EPS (Electronic Power Steering) unit and replaced it. (Not a cheap fix according to the paperwork I received). It has been trouble free since then. There was a PUMA case number assigned to it so I am assuming this may not be an isolated incident.

Old 11-05-2010, 03:36 PM
minimize07
4th Gear
Originally Posted by outlawmedic
I have an 08 Clubman that developed this same noise at about 30K miles. It was a deep creaking noise heard on very slow speed turns when the wheel was turned rack to rack, like when parking. I thought it may have been the fact was making a 3 point turn on a washed out road about a month before and got one of the front wheels off the ground during the turn. I thought I may have stretched some of the suspension components or something. I am still under warranty so the dealership replaces a steering arm, (I think I am remembering correctly). Noise got better then returned. Long story short, the second time at the dealership they diagnosed rust in the EPS (Electronic Power Steering) unit and replaced it. (Not a cheap fix according to the paperwork I received). It has been trouble free since then. There was a PUMA case number assigned to it so I am assuming this may not be an isolated incident.
Was the noise you were hearing like the 3rd post video and was it only happening at certain times like mine.Everytime I take it to the dealer the creaking noise does not happen,Its very frustrating to say the least.But when I take it to dealer again I will mention the rust in the EPS.Hard to believe car can rust in that area with so few miles and are these units open to the elements.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:22 PM
grradams
1st Gear
I just started hearing a similar sound. I made an appointment with my nearest mini dealer, so hopefully its still covered under warranty since I am the second owner. I have heard some horror stories of people not being able to carry the warranty over from a previous owner on some occasions.

I have an 04/2007 Mini Cooper S 6-Speed

Old 12-29-2010, 04:13 PM
Chris G
3rd Gear
Grradams,

Any update as to what this noise was? Mine went away from awhile and now it's back and annoying as ever. Creaking noise every time I start from a stop.

Old 12-29-2010, 04:34 PM
minimize07
4th Gear
Grradams,

Any update as to what this noise was? Mine went away from awhile and now it's back and annoying as ever. Creaking noise every time I start from a stop.
Chris G. I finally had the dealer hear the noise about 2 weeks ago and he lubricated the steering area and I have'nt heard it since.Hopefully problem solved.

Old 01-01-2011, 12:59 PM
grradams
1st Gear
So,

I took her to the dealer and they ended up replacing the entire engine mount under warranty and there has been no more creaking since!