Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Brake Pad Indicator Light

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 11:59 AM
focker
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake Pad Indicator Light

The indicator light came on last week and while the front pads look great the rears were ready for a change out. After changing everything on the rear the indicator light is still lit. I even changed out the sensor a second time in case the first one was defective. Is there a reset or any other suggestions to look at?

Old 09-07-2010, 01:01 PM
HRM
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The light stays on when the circuit is broken, so if all (including the front) are good, you have to look at the wires. You can short out each one to see if it is one of the sensors. Mine are removed and the wires just twisted together. It makes the light go out, but you have to check them manually.

Old 09-07-2010, 01:20 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
yes there is a reset

turn the key to on (aka position 2) but do not start the car, hold in this position for 30 seconds.

This should reset the system

(found this tidbit of info buried in MiniMania's description of replacement sensor)

Old 09-07-2010, 02:57 PM
focker
2nd Gear
Thanks Capt., that solved the problem

Old 10-31-2010, 04:06 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The search does work!!!

Another thanks to you Capt. At 6,000 miles I changed out those coal dust pads. Tied the sensors out of harms way never to be bothered by them again. Until this week when the nanny brake light came on. Come to find out that the plastic of the inner fender had cut into the sensor wire. Replaced the sensor, but the light stayed on, what the heck!!!

Found your post & it's fixed. Thank you!!!

Old 01-20-2011, 04:30 AM
Cadenza
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Capt_bj
yes there is a reset

turn the key to on (aka position 2) but do not start the car, hold in this position for 30 seconds.

(found this tidbit of info buried in MiniMania's description of replacement sensor)
I do this to my Mini once a week.... makes it smarter!

Old 02-16-2011, 10:02 AM
nwanderson
Neutral
Brake sensor light still on!

Brake pads were replaced and they told my Dad that the new brake pads wouldn't allow for the sensors to be used, thus the light on. Obviously didn't want to deal with it!! My mechanic looked and found a bad sensor in front and replaced it, and inspected the back one, did the key in 2 position for 30 sec and then start and still the light is on! If there is another break in the wire, would it be confined to the sensor apparatus itself, or could there be a problem past where the sensor wires plug in? I am selling this car - my Dad's 2003 MINI and would like to have it right for the next owner. Thanks!

Old 03-24-2011, 12:35 AM
kimban
1st Gear
Thanks. Did my brakes last weekend and light stayed on (so annoying). I will try this soon.

yes there is a reset

Old 07-26-2011, 03:13 PM
crazydrumer911
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
whenever you change the brack pads you need to change the sensors there like 30 bucks but thats another reason y the light never shut off

Old 04-12-2012, 05:23 PM
mdurando
2nd Gear
not true about needing to change the sensors whenever you change the break pads. If you replace the pads before the sensors are turned on and are careful not to break the sensors when you remove them from the old pads, you can replace them in the new pads and they will work just fine. I've changed my pads twice (on a 05 MCS and an 02BMW 325xi, which has a similar mechanism) without replacing the sensor, and no problems; the lights don't come on. The important thing is to change out the pads before the sensors is engaged; once the sensor is turned on, it needs to be replaced.

Old 09-26-2013, 05:56 PM
Jynyatec
Neutral
So I just bought an 03 mini. With about 20 mins left in my 2.5 hour drive home the brake light came on along with the ABS and DSC light. Any ideas what it could be. It will go off sometimes and randomly come back. I checked the brakes and the passenger side does not have a sensor in the brake pad like the drivers side.

Old 09-26-2013, 06:43 PM
minibx
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jynyatec
So I just bought an 03 mini. With about 20 mins left in my 2.5 hour drive home the brake light came on along with the ABS and DSC light. Any ideas what it could be. It will go off sometimes and randomly come back. I checked the brakes and the passenger side does not have a sensor in the brake pad like the drivers side.
There are only two sensors, on on the driver side front brake pad and one on the passenger side rear brake.

About the lights I think that they are indication of a bad speed sensor but please don't quote me on that.

Old 09-26-2013, 07:00 PM
Jynyatec
Neutral
Thanks for the info. I will check it out.

Old 10-03-2013, 06:42 PM
ageofoctane
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This shows how cheap I am, but I don't like replacing things when I can fix them instead.
I used some flush cutters to cut a short piece of copper wire that matched the diameter of the wire that gets worn through on the sensor and soldered it in place. I left the wire exposed because I'm really not worried about it, but one could coat it with a little liquid tape if they were concerned of it corroding or something. I had to scratch away a little plastic around the wire ends on the sensor a little to give the solder more to hold on to, but it seems to be fine, and saved me having to order a replacement this time around.

You don't have to be a soldering wizard, but it helps to have some soldering skills.

I like having the sensor, but I figured if repairing it didn't work, I would just bypass it and keep an eye on my pads.

Old 04-21-2015, 01:17 PM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
yes there is a reset

Great info.

We have all that info listed on our DIY Tech Article as well.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 05-14-2017, 06:00 AM
Cenla Mini
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I know you can replace the sensors but does anyone know where you can replace the wire assembly they plug into? My driver side plug housing broke when I replaced it last time and now I need to replace them again...would like to find a replacement if possible. ECS Tuning and Pelican Parts both have the sensors/wires but I didn't see the wiring harness they plug into. (Sensor Mfg Part # is 34356778175)...this is not what I need...I need the wiring harness this plugs into.

Old 05-15-2017, 09:51 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Cenla Mini
I know you can replace the sensors but does anyone know where you can replace the wire assembly they plug into? My driver side plug housing broke when I replaced it last time and now I need to replace them again...would like to find a replacement if possible. ECS Tuning and Pelican Parts both have the sensors/wires but I didn't see the wiring harness they plug into. (Sensor Mfg Part # is 34356778175)...this is not what I need...I need the wiring harness this plugs into.
Doing a little digging, I do not see that MINI lists the pad sensor harness separately from the main wiring harness. Maybe someone else might have more info for you as well. You might have luck searching your local junk yard for a MINI they're parting out and see if you can snag one off of it. Or the connectors can be listed by size and shape in the electrical section of realOEM here: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/part...Cooper_S&mg=61. Would splice it in to the wiring harness yourself.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 05-15-2017, 06:02 PM
Cenla Mini
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
Doing a little digging, I do not see that MINI lists the pad sensor harness separately from the main wiring harness. Maybe someone else might have more info for you as well. You might have luck searching your local junk yard for a MINI they're parting out and see if you can snag one off of it. Or the connectors can be listed by size and shape in the electrical section of realOEM here: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/part...Cooper_S&mg=61. Would splice it in to the wiring harness yourself.
Thank you! That is one of the things I was considering but finding a Mini in a local junkyard is rare around here. I'll still look...maybe I can find the right connector in realOEM.

Old 05-18-2017, 08:07 AM
ST3ALTHPSYCH0
3rd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Cenla Mini
Thank you! That is one of the things I was considering but finding a Mini in a local junkyard is rare around here. I'll still look...maybe I can find the right connector in realOEM.
Have you PM'd ALLMAGAUTO? I purchased an outdoor air temp sensor and pigtail from them for a great price.

Old 05-18-2017, 04:09 PM
Cenla Mini
3rd Gear
I may have to give them a shout...someone in one of the part out's said they had what I was looking for but haven't heard back yet.