Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Dramatic Oil Loss - Oil Leak

Old 07-20-2010, 07:53 PM
300MMPS
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dramatic Oil Loss - Oil Leak

So, my Clubman just pulled a BP on the freeway tonight. Either that, or it's starting to self lubricate as a rust preventative. (Being in Michigan and all)

Anyway, Oil light comes on at the most inconvenient part of my freeway commute and I have about a mile before I can get off safely. I get parked and smell oil. Not exhaust burned oil, but hot oil. Throw up the hood and there is a slight spray of oil on the underside of the hood (passenger side). The turbo ducting on that side of the engine on the firewall side is coated in oil. THEN, I walk around to the passenger side of the car and see oil dripping from the spokes of the wheel and notice oil spray up the side of the car just as if I had been running through a bunch of mud puddles. There is oil dripping from the undercarriage and the back barn doors are coated.

Any thoughts, comments, similar experiences? The car was loaded right up and I had to wrangle children, so I couldn't explore.

I am glad Roadside Assistance exists. The flatbed was there in 20 minutes. My wife was there in 30.

(Jul '09 - purchased from dealer lot, Feb '09 build)

Old 07-21-2010, 07:33 AM
300MMPS
1st Gear
Follow-up:

Mini G.R. called and said that the timing chain/tensioner had backed off enough to push the cover and allow the oil to leak out. (? really?) The car still had 1.5 to 2 quarts oil left in it. (good) Does that make sense? I've worked on enough engines to think something is odd about that explanation. Maybe there is a loss in translation between the tech, the advisor and myself.

I never had any real indication of the diesel rattle or death rattle as many have had. Worst problem so far with my R55 is the 3rd door safety release lever at the bottom would stick and I had to use my finger to pull it out to open the door. (Consistent all winter, but stopped doing it once the weather warmed up.)

Upshot is that my oil change should get done a week early and the car will get detailed in and out.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:20 PM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not sure how the cover is held on, but that doesn't sound right to me.

I had to have my chain tensioner replaced even though I had not experienced the cold start chatter problem.

Old 07-21-2010, 06:47 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
First time I've ever heard anything like this.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:12 PM
Minibeagle
6th Gear
Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by MotorMouth
First time I've ever heard anything like this.
Me too

Old 07-22-2010, 01:27 PM
300MMPS
1st Gear
Post analysis: Picked up the car. Everything was nice and clean. Too bad it was raining outside the service bay!

I hadn't looked at an assembly drawing yet, but the service tech described the situation better... The tensioner piston assembly screws into the backside of the engine. It isn't under the timing cover.

What he found was the the tensioner had started unscrewing itself. Since the piston needs engine oil pressure to maintain its 'push', it is in a high pressure oil gallery, tube, etc. So, the oil was just squirting out under pressure.

They went ahead and performed the tech bulletin for the tensioner. (Also a tech bulletin on the 3rd door handle.)

Happy customer.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:47 PM
JumpingJackFlash
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Glad it worked out. The fact you still had two quarts of oil in the engine was a good thing, too.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:33 AM
timfitz63
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 300MMPS
Also [performed] a tech bulletin on the 3rd door handle.
Sorry if this hijacks the thread: but what's the tech bulletin on the third door handle all about...?

Old 08-11-2010, 08:21 PM
300MMPS
1st Gear
Originally Posted by timfitz63
Sorry if this hijacks the thread: but what's the tech bulletin on the third door handle all about...?

Wow. Just realized I never replied. Sorry about that.

They didn't provide an SI number. The lower lever on the third door that keeps it locked ( normally when the main door is closed) had been sticking, and when the tech started looking at it, it completely fell apart. They replaced it. But, apparently there is some kind of problem that could occur with the 3rd door release handle on the inside and the rubber connector to the latch mechanism.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:52 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by 300MMPS
Wow. Just realized I never replied. Sorry about that.

They didn't provide an SI number. The lower lever on the third door that keeps it locked ( normally when the main door is closed) had been sticking, and when the tech started looking at it, it completely fell apart. They replaced it. But, apparently there is some kind of problem that could occur with the 3rd door release handle on the inside and the rubber connector to the latch mechanism.

Some early clubmans needed the cable from the handle to the mechanism rerouted. It's not a problem with current clubmans

Old 08-12-2010, 03:44 PM
timfitz63
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MotorMouth
Some early clubmans needed the cable from the handle to the mechanism rerouted. It's not a problem with current clubmans
By "early," I presume you mean some or all 2008 model year vehicles?

Old 08-12-2010, 05:13 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by timfitz63
By "early," I presume you mean some or all 2008 model year vehicles?
It was 08 but I don't know for how much of 08.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:31 PM
300MMPS
1st Gear
Mine is a Feb 09 build. That disable switch at the bottom of the door kept sticking all winter. I'd have to reach down and flip it out before I could open the third door.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:56 PM
56rfixr
2nd Gear
Sometimes the tensioner crush rings will leak and it sounds like yours did. The story on the tensioner backing out sounds like a miscommunication between the service advisor and technician.

Old 09-13-2010, 06:38 PM
Charles Linquist
1st Gear
Just got my '09 MCS back from the dealer. I noticed a pretty good oil pool on my garage floor yesterday evening. While the car was running, I looked underneath and saw a steady drip-drip-drip of oil (about once a second). I didn't want to drive it, so I called Mini Roadside Assistance. They picked it up this morning at 6:00 AM on a flatbed and hauled it to Mountain View Mini.

My sheet says the following:

"...found oil leak at timing tensioner bolt area . Removed right side wheel housing cover to access crankshaft bolt and installed locating pin. Found timing chain tensioner backed out/loose causing the oil leak. Measured timing chain per SIM 110207 to determine appropriate chain tensioner to use in this model year of car (Per S.F). Replaced chain tensioner with part number 551. Replaced alternator belt due to oil contamination.
Changed microfilter, checked fluids and tire pressures"

And they washed it.

One day in and out.

Happy customer

Old 09-14-2010, 06:16 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a persistent oil leak shooting out on the pasenger side of the engine wherre Ive had three t/c tensioners installed. Was diagonsed as a leaky valve cover gasket each time - but it keeps coming back. My SA is NOT going to like to hear this

Right now, I cannot see myself hanging onto this car after the warranty. My MINI days are slowly but surely coming to an end.

Old 12-12-2010, 10:25 PM
spoon
1st Gear
Red Oil Light on Freeway, Engine damage

Hi All,
I wasn't as lucky as Charles Linquist (noticed a leak) or 300MMPS (had some oil left). I was on the freeway, red oil light came on, by the time I could pull to side (2 mins)... the engine was shuttering and died before I fully was able to get onto the shoulder.
Highway Service towed me off the busy freeway, Mini service towed me to the dealer.
The next day, SA called to tell me timing belt/tensioner on back of engine caused all the oil to leak out. Not good at highway speeds. Unfortunately, it has been dark and raining and I park outside, so I didn't notice a leak (if it even was a slow leak).
My 2009 Clubman S is only 1 year old and 15k miles. It was in for annual oil service at the dealer just two weeks ago.
I now have a loaner, as SA is waiting for word from Mini USA, as he had to send up an issue "this big" to Mini. Ouch.

Eek - wish me luck!! Sounds like at least a new engine, if not more.

Old 12-19-2010, 04:09 AM
RoadKing
Neutral
Spoon,

Hi...

I had the same problem on thursday with my 2009 jcw mini clubman. My oil light came on... then the engine light... the engine was shuttering by the time I could safely pull over. But the engine didn't stop... I turned it off. When I got out I saw he barn doors were covered with oil... the passenger side dripping. I checked the oil and it was bone dry.... nothing registered on the dipstick.

I'm supposed to pick my car up tomorrow from the dealer. Like the others in this thread... the dealer said the problem was with the timing belt/tensioner. My worry is that there has been engine damage already and I own this car.

What was the outcome with your car and Mini Corporate?

Thanks!

Last edited by RoadKing; 12-19-2010 at 04:11 AM. Reason: said the same thing twice...
Old 12-19-2010, 09:32 AM
Bigjoeski08
4th Gear
I have had three oil leaks in my 07 Cooper S. So Last week I didn't even know it was leaking oil I was bring the mini in for the cold start problem and found out I'm 2.5 quarts low on oil and have a leak from the valve cover. They fixed the leak and put more oil in and now I don't have cold start issues. Service adviser said mini's leak 1 quart every 3 - 4 miles.

Old 12-19-2010, 01:56 PM
Hawkeye
3rd Gear
Am I the only one bothered by this thread? Should any of us expect this type of problem/situation to develop in an automobile that cost $$$?

Old 12-20-2010, 11:11 AM
spoon
1st Gear
Luckily under warranty

Road King,
I talked to the SA this morning. Last week he received authorization from Mini to open the bottom end... found bearings burnt. Now, today, he received authorization to open the top end. He plans to take more photos and send to Mini to determine next steps.
I am patient since I am busy with the holidays and I'm driving their loaner. Hopefully a real update by the end of this week.

Old 12-20-2010, 12:01 PM
Yakatak
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
>>Service adviser said mini's leak 1 quart every 3 - 4 miles.<<

My MINI hasn't leaked a drop...and I have lots more miles than that! Seriously...is that tensioner oil line bolt accessible so that it could be checked periodically??

Old 12-20-2010, 01:09 PM
RoadKing
Neutral
Update 12/20

Picked up the car today and all's (seems) well.

The short story: I initially thought that there was no oil left in the engine... after pulling over... checking the dipstick... all the oil on the ground... engine rattle (which was the timing chain). Mini initially told me there was one quart left. There was a miscommunication and it ends up there were three quarts left in the engine (out of five). So.... I'm fairly confident there was no engine damage. Everything was patiently explained to me and even though I'm no mechanic... I can kinda understand what happened.

Shorter story: This is probably not totally accurate (again... no mechanic) so please read it that way... Timing chain: A bolt tensioner backed out and the oil leaked out of the hole. The bolt had not backed out all the way (I pulled over right away) so only a couple of quarts leaked out. If the bolt had backed out entirely and if I'd kept driving then serious damage would have occurred. If this was not covered under warranty it would have cost over 2K to fix. As a courtesy Mini offered an extended warranty at 50% off.

Mini dealer was great. Service was quick. Car is back to awesome.

Thanks for the response, Spoon.

Last edited by RoadKing; 12-20-2010 at 01:11 PM. Reason: question not directed to me... removed answer...
Old 12-22-2010, 06:17 PM
spoon
1st Gear
Still no news, awaiting bad news

Roadking,
Glad to hear you still had oil and no engine damage. I think the tensioner bolt backed out entirely in my situtation and I was driving at highway speeds without a much oil. I'm exptecting full engine rebuild or replacement... but like you, I'm not a mechanic and know nothing about cars and modern computerized engines. From what I've been able to find online, engine replacement is 14k for parts and labor. Man.

Yakatak,
The SA told me the bolt is all the way on the back of the engine and not accessible (not sure if they could easily check during a routine service).

Looking for a christmas miracle for my Clubman, otherwise it may be time to check out the Countryman in three short weeks

Old 12-23-2010, 09:27 AM
SidSwiftsteel
3rd Gear
Good luck on getting your MINI back in order.

I noticed some oil spots in my driveway over the weekend. I found this thread, then checked under the hood. Sure enough, it was the tensioner bolt (highest point with oil stains).

Lucky for me I have about 500 miles left on my warranty and the dealer is fixing it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dramatic Oil Loss - Oil Leak